Best strategies for an inexpensive Disney family trip??

Not sure if this has been brought up but turning down housekeeping at on-site value or moderate resorts can get you a gift card valued at $10 per night - 1 (so if you stay 6 nights, you get a $50 dollar gift card).
where can you choose/select this option???

I think it is on the online check in feature. you can also ask for it when you check in. bring a handicap placard and tell them you have one when you check in, this will save the parking fees. you don't have to order the whole quick service meal. you can just order a burger - no cheese or bacon or whatever they upcharge you for that you don't have to have

We have a Disney tree in our playroom, and the kids enjoy unwrapping the ornaments each year and remembering which trip we bought certain ones. It also reflects what their interests were at that time period. (We also recycle our magic bands into a garland. We joke that it is the most expensive garland we have ever purchased.)

This...is...brilliant. We love ornaments but our tree is so jam packed that I've started to question if we should still get them when we visit, but I love everyone picking out one that reminds them of that specific trip. A disney-tree and MB-garland is so fun!

bring a handicap placard and tell them you have one when you check in, this will save the parking fees.
If a person has one issued to them or a family member along on the trip, of course, bring it along. They also accept the ID card that most states issue with permanent plate.

OP

*consider pricing out renting DVC or Wyndham Bonnett Creek from a reputable renter/broker. WBC can often be rented for far less than a value resort.

*wouldn’t do it without a rental car. With some diligence a rental car can typically be found under $200 if not less. You have to run the numbers to see if it will work for you.

*Often, the savings of eating meals offsite will help fund the car. There are many great options in the area.

You can check out the transportation board to get an idea of good rental car codes for your time frame & the Orlando hotel thread here for recommendations as to rental sources

*don’t buy PH option for tickets

*do one character meal. At swan/dolphin, Garden Grove weekend breakfast buffet or dinner buffet is less $ and of good quality IMO. More low key, which can be a very good thing.

Before anyone spends more of their time adding tips to this post, please check the OPs post on the Community board. You can then determine whether it's worth your time to respond to this thread....

Before anyone spends more of their time adding tips to this post, please check the OPs post on the Community board. You can then determine whether it's worth your time to respond to this thread....
Well, that’s a bit disappointing. I wondered at OP not returning to this thread, but didn’t expect that to be the reason.

On the bright side, these tips can be used by anyone, and maybe someone reading the thread got some good ideas from it.

- Stay at a budget disney springs hotel. It has all the perks of staying on-site (including the 60 day FP window except free parking at the parks). Will be less than or equal to All-star and the resorts are nicer and walking to Disney Springs for better eating.
- Drive there. It takes 20 hours to drive. It takes about 6-7 to fly (with all the airport and trasportation time) for us in NY. It costs $350 in gas, $1500-$3000 to fly (for family of 4). Parking adds $15 /day, but you can go off site for food and groceries
- don't hop (that will save over $100 per person
- Stay longer less often (not my favorite). once you hit a 4 day tickey it doesn't get much more expensive for additional days and less airfares.
- as mentioned, Food is the biggest cost for the week if you aren't spending on a deluxe resort. Be smart about eating. Go offsite if you can.
It also takes an extra 4 days to drive. Those days are extra vacation and additional days away from home, extra hotel costs, food on the road and wear and tear on your vehicle.

It also takes an extra 4 days to drive. Those days are extra vacation and additional days away from home, extra hotel costs, food on the road and wear and tear on your vehicle.

This is always what we consider before driving and we are only 750 miles away. I just HATE that drive and like to break it up, so add a day, add a hotel night, add parking, etc. It costs almost the same to fly depending on the time of year.

Sometimes driving is so much cheaper, though. Just depends on airlines and airports.

We paid for two days of disney for four people doing swagbucks. It took me a 10 months but i did it. Our trip is in three weeks im so excited that i got most of it for free.
On average, how much time per day did you spend on swag bucks to earn that? And we’re you able to choose Disney gift cards as your swag bucks reward?

This is always what we consider before driving and we are only 750 miles away. I just HATE that drive and like to break it up, so add a day, add a hotel night, add parking, etc. It costs almost the same to fly depending on the time of year.

Sometimes driving is so much cheaper, though. Just depends on airlines and airports.
We're going to crunch the numbers for our next trip, but so far it has been in our favor to drive. We find an inexpensive chain hotel for the one night each way, and we often eat a picnic lunch on the way there.
Once our kids get older and we don't have to stop so much, we might be able to make it in one day. Google says our total driving time is just over 12 hours, but with littles, it takes more like 18-21. With a flight, we would have to take a 2 hour drive to Houston, get there extra early and wait, then the flight itself, then wait for magic express once the plane lands. I can see it taking a good 8 hours when you combine all that.
Plus, flying is just uncomfortable for me. We have a minivan, so we can pack just about whatever we want, stretch out, watch movies, etc. The kids bring small toys and games, and they travel well since we have done this for so long.
Older child has asked us if we can take a trip in an airplane one day. Since we often travel in our camper (and prefer it), the plane isn't really conducive, but we probably will one day just so the kids can have the experience. (I don't think they're missing much. lol)

if you can't do 20 hours in a row i guess. but you get in the car and go. Swap drivers every 5-6 hours and you get there over night. it takes almost half that to fly and get transportation to the hotel. Ifyou are going during spring break or other busy time flights aren't happening for under 700-800 per person. Obviously the more people you have the more sense driving makes. It also matters where your are and what that time is. 20 hours and under and it makes plenty of sense. If you're someone who can't sleep in a car then it wouldn't be as easy.
To each his own though. I'll take that $2500+ savings over leaving saturday afternoon vs sunday morning.

We're going to crunch the numbers for our next trip, but so far it has been in our favor to drive. We find an inexpensive chain hotel for the one night each way, and we often eat a picnic lunch on the way there.
Once our kids get older and we don't have to stop so much, we might be able to make it in one day. Google says our total driving time is just over 12 hours, but with littles, it takes more like 18-21. With a flight, we would have to take a 2 hour drive to Houston, get there extra early and wait, then the flight itself, then wait for magic express once the plane lands. I can see it taking a good 8 hours when you combine all that.
Plus, flying is just uncomfortable for me. We have a minivan, so we can pack just about whatever we want, stretch out, watch movies, etc. The kids bring small toys and games, and they travel well since we have done this for so long.
Older child has asked us if we can take a trip in an airplane one day. Since we often travel in our camper (and prefer it), the plane isn't really conducive, but we probably will one day just so the kids can have the experience. (I don't think they're missing much. lol)

I love having MY car at WDW. I like to leave every now and then and pack whatever the heck I want!

if you can't do 20 hours in a row i guess. but you get in the car and go. Swap drivers every 5-6 hours and you get there over night. it takes almost half that to fly and get transportation to the hotel. Ifyou are going during spring break or other busy time flights aren't happening for under 700-800 per person. Obviously the more people you have the more sense driving makes. It also matters where your are and what that time is. 20 hours and under and it makes plenty of sense. If you're someone who can't sleep in a car then it wouldn't be as easy.
To each his own though. I'll take that $2500+ savings over leaving saturday afternoon vs sunday morning.
Good god no, I would never drive 20 hours in a row. :crazy2:

MDE

If not showing in MDE you can do it at the front desk or you can call from your room. I have done it both ways. GC is emailed in a matter of minutes.
Thanks!

Asked and answered by previous posters
uh, I asked as a reply to a post. Not sure what you are implying as I've not seen it asked in this thread. It was answered immediately by two posters.

I certainly appreciated @SaintsManiac answering it for me.

My biggest money saver is the Southwest Visa. Flew five of us last year for nothing, and that's how I'm planning to get us there next time. We live about 23 hours away by car.

We do eat meals and snacks in the parks but I also order groceries to have all breakfasts in the room, and I do still take extra snacks like granola bars or pretzels in the parks to prevent my kids from getting hangry or asking for too much other junk. Last time we used Prime Now which worked well.

Park tickets there's only so much you can save but I always buy from a third party reseller, last time it shaved off almost 300 between the 5 of us. And although I love park hopping, it wasn't in the budget last time so we saved a little more with base tickets.

LOL - nope, nope, nope! 20 hours is not "get there overnight" in any sense. "Overnight" is more like 8-12 hours. 20 hours is basically a full night and day. I would be willing to devote one day to transport, but not a night and a day or two days.

My kids can't more than nap in the car, and without good sleep would be cranky pants, making the first day pretty much crap anyway.

Neither DH nor I can really sleep in the car. Plus, DH has zero interest in going to Orlando. This spring will mark my 4th solo parent trip with some combination of my kids. No way on God's green earth am I signing up to drive 20 hours in a row from New England, and then 20 hours back by myself. And if DH were vacationing with us, it would be a double no because he'd never go for that. The 20 hours back is the part that would completely obliterate any relaxation gained from my vacation.

If you are willing to fly on an Ultra Low Cost Carrier like Frontier or Spirit, you can get there and back for well under 700 per person, even during busy times, especially if you're willing to alter arrival and/or departure to a weekday. Even if you have kids in school, there's the whole summer, and it's easy enough to fly on Wednesdays when Frontier has a kids fly free promotion. You could get a family of 4 there for under $200 round trip.

20 hours there + 20 hours back = 40 hours = full week of work.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter