Best Time of the Year

pcdisneyqueen

Earning My Ears
I really want to travel to Hawaii in the future (possibly 2 more years). We would like to stay at Aulani but when is the best time to go (price wise)? I would like the spa and adult pool to be available at the same time.

We've only been in late September, but I would most definitely choose to visit again that time of year. Not quite as busy, not peak season pricing because kids are back in school, but still considered "summer" in terms of weather with temperatures in the mid-80s. We also lucked out with experiencing no rain, but its my understanding rain is minimal that time of year anyhow. The spa and adult pool are open year round, save for any scheduled refurbishments.

I welcome more insights on this as well, specifically focusing on cheaper times to go. We typically find May and early December as two of the most affordable times to travel other places since we're two 40-something adults with no children. We can't travel during the fall (September-October) due to work schedules, though.

We are thinking of going over Christmas next year if covid normalizes. Anyone know how it is there Christmas week?

We are thinking of going over Christmas next year if covid normalizes. Anyone know how it is there Christmas week?

I stayed at Aulani over Christmas last year from December 20-27. When I left Aulani, I flew to Maui and stayed through New Year’s. Because I always travel during high peak times (holidays and summer time/school breaks), I didn’t feel that Aulani was super crowded. Yes, it was busy—but it always is when I visit because it has become very popular. The main pool was very crowded, but there were plenty of chairs at the adult pool and beach. Below are things to keep In mind if you decide to travel to Aulani during this time:

1) Pack your patience. The airports are packed. Maui airport was especially bad and the wait for luggage was about 30-45 minutes.
2) If you plan on renting a car, reserve it ahead of time and check in online for your reservation if the car company allows it. The rental car lines are crazy and you can easily spend an hour waiting to pick up your car at the airport. If you’re not renting a car at the airport, Aulani has an Alamo Car Rental counter and there is an Enterprise at the Marriott. Again, make your reservations ahead of time.
3) Make table service dining reservations (AMA AMA, etc.) as soon as you can. It can be very challenging to get a walk up reservation. You can also make reservations for a lot of the Hawaiii restaurants(Monkeypod, Roy’s, etc.). The popular restaurants often have waits for walk up reservations. Unless you’re used to eating really early, you may need to plan your meals in advance.
4) Most excursions require a minimum number to go. Aulani offers excursions that typically leave from the resort, but check the tour details because all of them don’t. If you decide to book tours on your own, most companies require pre-payment and you can book your tour online. If you book a tour independently, most don’t provide pick up at Aulani. You will need to drive to Waikiki to get the tour.

Other than that, enjoy being in Hawaii in December. December is the start of whale watching season and Honolulu has a light display downtown at Honolulu Hale.

Last edited:

We are from Louisiana so we have always (3 trips) planned our trips to coincide with Mardi Gras, Know what, on Oahu we found that they to celebrate "Fat Tuesday" as well in the form of Malasada Day. If you have not had a Malasada from Leonard's bakery then you are missing something really good. And its whale watching season.

In theory when is it ever a bad time to visit Oahu and stay at Alulani?

With Aulani being at a resort that's capped at resort capacity, the timing is less of a concern than if you were traveling to WDW or DL where park capacity is usually very high. Resort capacity is what it is, and will have the same feel throughout the year at other times when they are operating at or near capacity. The only downsides to Christmas week, IMO, would be the potential for holiday hours at tourist attractions/restaurants around the island, and the propensity for cooler temperatures. Late December can be in the 70s and 60s at night, so a little trickier for packing and some days that may be subjectively too cool for the pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter