Best way of calling Home when in Florida?

MeeskaMooskaMickey

Mouseketeer
hi, please could someone give me some advice? We are going next month (yay!) but I’m really worried about my mum at home in England and would ideally like to call her each day. I don’t want to talk for long, I just want to say hi and check she’s ok. She hasn’t any broadband at home and no mobile phone so the only way of contacting her is via her landline. If I called her each day for about a minute would that lead to a massive mobile bill (I’m with virgin mobile)? Or if anyone can think of a relatively simple alternative way of calling her please let me know. Tia for the advice.

I upgraded my package when I was in NYC last week... it costs a fiver a day (that you use it) while you are away and gives you unlimited phone, text and internet browsing. No charge on days you don’t use it. Was well worth the cost for me. I’m with O2 but I assume most networks do something similar.

If your phone is unlocked, consider a Three SIM. you can top it up with £10 which will give you calls to the landline for very little. If you buy an Add On you can get free minutes, which work just the same as here when you are abroad, thanks to Three's Feel at Home package.

@wilma-bride - I had a look at the Three SIMs for my forthcoming trip. When I went into a Three store in town to ask, they said that there were issues if you used a PAYG SIM with connecting to the network, but it worked fine if you got a 1 month contract. Have you or anyone else had this experience ... or is the Sales guy just telling porkies?

Porkies. I just sent off for the free SIm from their website, put it in my phone, loaded £10 and bought an Add on which gave me minutes, texts and data.

Ah great ... thought he was trying his luck to get a bigger sale, when all I want is a SIM to use when outside of the EU. Thanks for the feedback.

Where are you staying? Aren’t the call charges from american landlines peanuts?
We’re staying at Cabana Bay. I’m assuming the hotel phones will be expensive but if we found a public call phone would that be cheap? Can we use cash or would we need a phone card?
Thanks for all the replies.

Install Whatapp - then do a voice call from your Whatsapp to UK landline - works really well - just make sure you are on wifi not data roamming then it is free...so from Cabana Bay you it will work fine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!