Best way to get out of CC debt

Hopscotch, you and yours are in my prayers. It's not easy coming in for advice and being targeted. I only had one ridiculous person on my situation and I'm so sorry you had to get this on the Disboards. If you'd like to contact me, I'd be happy to email you an Excel spreadsheet I use for my debt snowballs. :stitch2:

I totally get wanting/needing to go on vacation after a year like that. My middle daughter was hospitalized for depression years ago and between that and all her treatment, it sucked all our money away! Plus, we had 2 other daughters, one older, one younger who were constantly getting the shaft because all of our resources were going to their sister, and our time and energy as well. It took me a while to finally see things from the other kids' perspective, yes of course they love their sister and wanted her to be ok, but it did suck to be told sorry no vacation, or new this or that, etc. this year because we had to pay for her treatment.

Like another poster said, you will be ok! Enjoy your vacation with your family!

OP I'm sorry you're going through all of this.:hug: You have been, and still are, doing the right things for your family and still you've been criticized, judged & made to feel guilty by people who don't know when to just shut the fark up.:headache:

I had believed that you gave some financial background simply to state that you already know how to be financially responsible and this debt did not just come about by spending like a drunken sailor or from "temptation" of credit cards. You were simply looking for tips on paying it down asap. One would think that should be easy enough to get from a "Budget Board". :sad2:

I hope that your daughter continues to feel better. I hope you and your family continue to make progress in all of your goals and wish you all the strength to do so. :grouphug:

I'm happy that your in laws have offered you a vacation, and not just the cash. That is a beautiful gift.:goodvibes I personally don't believe that vacations are a "luxury item" (though they can be made to be) but more like a must for busy families to reconnect and make happy memories. It doesn't have to be a huge splurge to do this.

Every day is a gift. No one in their 90's looks back and says 'I shouldn't have spent so much fun time with my family.'
Enjoy your much-needed vacation! :thumbsup2

I totally get wanting/needing to go on vacation after a year like that. My middle daughter was hospitalized for depression years ago and between that and all her treatment, it sucked all our money away! Plus, we had 2 other daughters, one older, one younger who were constantly getting the shaft because all of our resources were going to their sister, and our time and energy as well. It took me a while to finally see things from the other kids' perspective, yes of course they love their sister and wanted her to be ok, but it did suck to be told sorry no vacation, or new this or that, etc. this year because we had to pay for her treatment.

I’m sorry you’ve been through this as well. It does take a hit on the whole family, both emotionally and financially and it can be tough on the other kids. We are trying to maintain normalcy for them but they know nothing is the same. To their credit, both boys just told me they are giving up club soccer because they know we can’t really afford it. We never told them that directly but they know what is going on. At this point, they just want their sister alive and well but it’s hard on them. My youngest never gets to have friends over because I have to take his sister to one appt or another every day after school

had believed that you gave some financial background simply to state that you already know how to be financially responsible and this debt did not just come about by spending like a drunken sailor or from "temptation" of credit cards. You were simply looking for tips on paying it down asap. One would think that should be easy enough to get from a "Budget Board". :sad2:

That’s exactly what I was doing. I was trying to give some financial perspective as to where we were at before this all happened. We have always been extremely responsible financially which is why I had no idea how to handle this type of debt.

Thank you to everyone that has offered their support, hugs, & advice. We will get through this!

We have paid off a lot of debt by snowballing. It works.
I learned it from reading on Dave Ramsey’s website and watching his videos on youtube so it didn’t cost me anything to follow his advice.
It works by listing all debts in order of the amount. Start with the smallest debt. Pay min payments on all others while attacking the smallest with every bit you can spare.
When that is paid off, move onto the next smallest and add what was once the min payment of the first bill along with min payment of the 2nd bill.
As each bill gets paid off your min payment keeps growing, hence the name Snowball.

We love Dave Ramsey, that was the first thing I thought of when I read the OP's post - call Dave!

Your family has been in my prayers since reading your post. I'm so sorry that others felt it their business to push and prod until you felt the need to offer an explanation. Unfortunately not everyone is sensitive to others feelings. Please know that others on this board are praying for the healing of your family.

Your family has been in my prayers since reading your post. I'm so sorry that others felt it their business to push and prod until you felt the need to offer an explanation. Unfortunately not everyone is sensitive to others feelings. Please know that others on this board are praying for the healing of your family.

Thank you very much!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter