Between Christmas and New Years crowds....

I had been planning our next trip for december after christmas 2019. I am second guessing that now after being there last week during spring break! It was busy.... we weren't able to do as much as last time when we went in June.... 2 years ago. But, weather was wonderful, cool, enjoyable etc.

I am looking for advice from those who have gone between christmas and New years.. is it miserable? Miserable enough to go in June in the heat and humidiity??

Thank you! KIM

December is weird - the first 2 weeks are EMPTY and the last 2 PACKED. If you go 12/31, go AT opening. Some parks close by 10AM - especially EPCOT. The bigger problem is the cold. I have been there in 40 degree weather and the wind will kill you - AND you only packed shorts! Early June, early September and early December are the best times for us...

DVC Sue

Thanks! I appreciate it! we may just move it out... hate to but the reason for pushing the trip to 2019 is star wars land, so maybe by summer lines wont be so long etc.

Not sure I'm interpreting this correctly, my apologies if I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time;)) If you are suggesting that the lines for anything in Star Wars land might drop off by the summer after it opens, that's not gonna happen. I'll go out on a limb and predict that the lines for the new Star Wars stuff will be the longest lines in any of the parks for years to come. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of logistics Disney comes up with to accommodate the massive crowds for this.

Not sure I'm interpreting this correctly, my apologies if I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time;)) If you are suggesting that the lines for anything in Star Wars land might drop off by the summer after it opens, that's not gonna happen. I'll go out on a limb and predict that the lines for the new Star Wars stuff will be the longest lines in any of the parks for years to come. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of logistics Disney comes up with to accommodate the massive crowds for this.
yep! thats what I was saying!! but I bet your right... so I guess I shouldn't base my plans on that!

December is weird - the first 2 weeks are EMPTY and the last 2 PACKED. If you go 12/31, go AT opening. Some parks close by 10AM - especially EPCOT. The bigger problem is the cold. I have been there in 40 degree weather and the wind will kill you - AND you only packed shorts! Early June, early September and early December are the best times for us...

DVC Sue
Wow.. I was there last week and it was cold one night!! wind crazy so I can imagine. Thanks for your input!!

We were there between Xmas & New Years last year. Some days were just insane (eg. Xmas day at MK). However, if you get your FP+ and book your ADRs, it still makes for a very enjoyable day. After all, it's Christmas and you're at Disney. I'd rather be there than anywhere else. Last year, Dec 24th was strangely quiet at Epcot for Illuminations. We saw the last Candlelight Processional show, then parked it for the fireworks. We kept waiting for the crowd to gather, but it never did. It was eerily quiet and I actually didn't like it.

Bring on the crowds. I love it!! We're going again this year, this time for NYE. It's going to be a blast and the best party ever.

We were there between Xmas & New Years last year. Some days were just insane (eg. Xmas day at MK). However, if you get your FP+ and book your ADRs, it still makes for a very enjoyable day. After all, it's Christmas and you're at Disney. I'd rather be there than anywhere else. Last year, Dec 24th was strangely quiet at Epcot for Illuminations. We saw the last Candlelight Processional show, then parked it for the fireworks. We kept waiting for the crowd to gather, but it never did. It was eerily quiet and I actually didn't like it.

Bring on the crowds. I love it!! We're going again this year, this time for NYE. It's going to be a blast and the best party ever.
Wow! a different perspective!! OK.. I will keep considering!!

We did Christmas 2015, Dec 23 - Jan 2 BLT/Bonnet Creek. Its very busy, we thought no busy than during the summer, but we expected that. I wanted to be there Christmas morning, Candlelight Processional on Christmas Eve. It was an magical trip. However after the 26th it became insanely busy. MK was closed for capacity from 28th - 31st by 11am. You have to do your homework and plan for very busy, and have a back up plan. I usually drive or have a rental, so getting around is easier. NYE is the most insane time at any park, we got out at of MK 430, dinner at Chef Mickeys, I was allowed to park at BLT in the AM on the 31st even though I wasn't staying there that day. It pays to be nice and joke around with the security guys at the booths. He wasn't supposed to allow me to park, which I was prepared for, but gave it shot. He said I can't then looked at the lot and said Ahh go ahead park far away from hotel. Christmas time in our opinion is the most beautiful time at WDW, don't let the crowds deter you. Be down there for 2018 also kids are in school still so we have to go during the break.

Remember that a lot of schools here in TX get out 1-3 weeks before everywhere else around the country because we go back so much earlier than them. In other words, the first 2 weeks of June (especially the first week of June) are not nearly as crowded as the rest of the summer. You may have a situation like this year where a lot of the northern schools have to add days to the end of the school year because of so many snow days. Many schools aren't out until June 15th. We wrap up on May 31st. Just something else to consider. :)

I have done Christmas week @ Disney World 3 times, including the 1999 to 2000 millennial. For perspective, we also do mid March Spring break almost every year.

Christmas week, is just like spring break. yes, it is freaking crowded. but, with planning you can still do pretty much everything. just like spring break. Only the weather is a little more hit or miss.

the problem with Christmas "week" is you have 2 holidays in CHRISTMAS, and New Years Eve, where the parks are at capacity like thanks giving day, or the 4th of july. That throws things off a little.

If you have never done Disney at Christmas...I say do it. At least one time. But if you have already done it....reconsider.

Never never never again will I go the week of Christmas! Parks at capacity by 11am, counter service lines 1 hr long, unpredictable weather -- just not worth it!

Remember that a lot of schools here in TX get out 1-3 weeks before everywhere else around the country because we go back so much earlier than them. In other words, the first 2 weeks of June (especially the first week of June) are not nearly as crowded as the rest of the summer. You may have a situation like this year where a lot of the northern schools have to add days to the end of the school year because of so many snow days. Many schools aren't out until June 15th. We wrap up on May 31st. Just something else to consider. :)
I hear ya... unfortunately I am trying to plan around other peoples scheduling issues and this trip is most likely moving to dreaded JULY!! AHHHH.. water bottle fans will be a necessity! breaks at the pool etc.

I have done Christmas week @ Disney World 3 times, including the 1999 to 2000 millennial. For perspective, we also do mid March Spring break almost every year.

Christmas week, is just like spring break. yes, it is freaking crowded. but, with planning you can still do pretty much everything. just like spring break. Only the weather is a little more hit or miss.

the problem with Christmas "week" is you have 2 holidays in CHRISTMAS, and New Years Eve, where the parks are at capacity like thanks giving day, or the 4th of july. That throws things off a little.

If you have never done Disney at Christmas...I say do it. At least one time. But if you have already done it....reconsider.
I have done it but it was years ago.. at some point I will do it... but I think for this trip with a bunch of people, we are moving it to summer.. I think I will do it either just my family with no stress of entertaining.... so we can do our own thing, more resort time etc.... I think that can work and be more pleasurable.

Never never never again will I go the week of Christmas! Parks at capacity by 11am, counter service lines 1 hr long, unpredictable weather -- just not worth it!

Yes, table service is a must. I would never do Christmas without it. We did 3 days at MK and all 3 days we did no breakfast, late morning buffet and TS dinner. Two of the 3 days we also did HEA dessert party. Epcot was also 2 TS but you can get by without, or at least just one. AK and HS were one TS and one QS but you could manage with QS only. On Xmas day, the line up at Casey's in MK looked like it would take at least an hour just to order. The bus to MK that day also took an hour of travel time. It would have been longer if you chose to drive your own car.

We still had the best time. If you are expecting to be able to do everything, or if this is your one and only trip to WDW, do not go at this time of year. However, I think anyone that loves Disney has to go at Christmas at least once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!