Beware of Budget rental.

Poorman

DIS Veteran
I have to vent. We picked up our rental after a bad start to the trip. We were at the luggage tag kiosk when our flight was cancelled. Not a good start,turned a 21/2 hour flight to 51/2 hours.
we got to MCO and the back up at the Budget counter was about 50 deep with two reps taking the reservations. I went down to the fast track counter and there were two in line. In a hurry I didn’t check my rental form, bad mistake. In my fast track profile I had everything declined. When I got home and just checked my cc the rental went from $804 to $1691.84. I called MCO budget and they said sorry you accepted al the extras. I called my CC to dispute it and the put in a claim. I have to tell you I have a bad feeling about winning this dispute. I signed the contract without reading it. My bad. To everyone,read your contract. I rarely use Budget,I normally use Alamo, but I wanted to try a Chrysler pacifica ,so I went with Budget. Just be aware of the scam, and I call it a scam because he never asked me if I wanted to accept or decline all the insurances and extras. I just had to vent.

The employee that helped you gets a comission for selling the extra's to you so at least one person was happy. But the total charges on the form where you initial agreeing to the the charges should have showed the $1691.

Avis and Budget are owned by the same company. I had a similar experience with Avis in Phoenix about 3 years ago. I was saving about $200 so I went with Avis, huge mistake. Horrible customer service. I will pay more to rent from Alamo or Enterprise now.

I have to vent. We picked up our rental after a bad start to the trip. We were at the luggage tag kiosk when our flight was cancelled. Not a good start,turned a 21/2 hour flight to 51/2 hours.
we got to MCO and the back up at the Budget counter was about 50 deep with two reps taking the reservations. I went down to the fast track counter and there were two in line. In a hurry I didn’t check my rental form, bad mistake. In my fast track profile I had everything declined. When I got home and just checked my cc the rental went from $804 to $1691.84. I called MCO budget and they said sorry you accepted al the extras. I called my CC to dispute it and the put in a claim. I have to tell you I have a bad feeling about winning this dispute. I signed the contract without reading it. My bad. To everyone,read your contract. I rarely use Budget,I normally use Alamo, but I wanted to try a Chrysler pacifica ,so I went with Budget. Just be aware of the scam, and I call it a scam because he never asked me if I wanted to accept or decline all the insurances and extras. I just had to vent.

Sorry your trip started off bad!

I’d imagine rental car company has copy of contract you signed accepting insurance and extras. Think that make dispute hard unless Budget decides to extend goodwill gesture. Idk if you can say beware of Budget when the issue comes down to you signing something you didn’t read because of flight starting off bad.

Literally just looking at the drop in Budget's rates today. Will stick with my higher rate at Alamo, thanks!

I have to amend this slightly. I called Costco,who I booked Budget through, I was put through to budget ,never got to talk to a Costco rep. Had a long discussion with the Customer service rep. He started off by saying I signed the contract, I said yes but the rep never asked me to sign or initial that I accepted the extras, he said as soon as I tensferred my Costco reservation to the budget fast break it takes over all my preferences I have on my budget app. I went to my budget app and it said I declined all the extras. He said it couldn’t because they have no way to change it. I said so you are calling me a liar ,he got defensive and put me on hold so he could talk to a supervisor. He got back on and said they have decided to waive the charges for all the insurance fees. He could only waive two of them, but the others will go through in 3 to 5 business days. I asked him what the final bill will be and he didn’t know. I still have a bad feeling about budget,I think they tried to pull a fast one and I caught it the last minute, or didn’t, depends on the outcome. From now on I will never leave the rental desk of any rental agency without totally reading the contract. Lesson learned.

The employee that helped you gets a comission for selling the extra's to you so at least one person was happy. But the total charges on the form where you initial agreeing to the the charges should have showed the $1691.
I never initialed anything on the rental agreement. That’s why I was so confused. I have the rental agreement and it said agreed next to the four extras,I never initialed anything. Read my amended post.

This is a prime example of buyer beware. I so understand travel woes & just wanting to get it done but you gotta read what you’re signing. Rental agencies aggressively push the extras. So we have to aggressively decline them. OP sorry this happened to you. Hope you are able to get satisfaction and a refund!

I've learned my lessons with rental cars. My time and having good customer service is worth more than saving a few bucks. I only rent with enterprise or hertz. Both tend to be we way better than these low priced rental companies.

That is a huge price difference. I use either Alamo or Budget most of the time at MCO. I continue to stalk the prices until the day before we travel, making the new, cheaper reservation and canceling the more expensive, rinse and repeat. I always bring a copy of the confirmation that is emailed to me. I have that on the counter as I go through the process and I too decline all the extras except a full tank of gas. I always confirm my price with the price on their copy and there have been a few instances (can't remember which company) when they have had to adjust the price to be the same as my confirmation as I ask for a supervisor if it isn't the same. I double check the price on the receipt when I turn it in. I don't think there is a riskier place to get ripped off than the rental car counter. I'm sorry this happened to you.

EDIT: I should have added, we often use Alamo Car Care Center near MK in combo with ME

Last edited:
What amount was listed on the receipt they gave you when you turned the car in and the rental contract would have the amount listed as well do they have the same amounts? this is why I like Alamo. I check in at home for our rental before we leave & print out our paperwork. When we get to the airport we only have to walk out and get into the car drive to the exit booth we show our DL and CC and paperwork to the clerk and off we go. No waiting in line at the desk no upgrade hassles.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to my husband with Budget in Albany, NY a couple of years ago. We were fortunate they gave us the refund.

I've learned my lessons with rental cars. My time and having good customer service is worth more than saving a few bucks. I only rent with enterprise or hertz. Both tend to be we way better than these low priced rental companies.
Not in any way trying to change your mind, but just fyi, Enterprise owns National and Alamo. If you're satisfied with one, you might be satisfied with any.

Not in any way trying to change your mind, but just fyi, Enterprise owns National and Alamo. If you're satisfied with one, you might be satisfied with any.

I've used Alamo before as well and it was fine. But I just like how Enterprise is almost no wait to get a car and if you get a free Hertz Gold account you get to skip the line at most locations.

I used Budget twice at MCO many years ago and both times the wait to get my car was over 2 hours. The price was great but I'll never use them again. I only book with National now and I'm always really happy with them. If you are registered ahead with them you can just walk to your car and drive away. They confirm everything as you exit. You can also upsize your vehicle by using the Emerald Aisle. Not the cheapest option but with discount codes, Emerald Aisle and never waiting I'm happy. Our last trip they even offered us a larger vehicle not in the Emerald Aisle which was greatly appreciated.

From past experiences, I find car rentals more likely to be messed up whenever there is human interaction.

I've used Avis (same owner as Budget) at a few different airports this past year, and I am enrolled in their Preferred program. It's been the same story at each airport. We land, I pull out my phone and open the Avis app. The app tells me my vehicle and where to find it. Go to the vehicle, drive it to the gate, show my license while they scan a barcode through the windshield and leave. No lines, no counters, no sales pitches. I've haven't been charged anything over what I expected either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter