Beware of Budget rental.

From past experiences, I find car rentals more likely to be messed up whenever there is human interaction.

I've used Avis (same owner as Budget) at a few different airports this past year, and I am enrolled in their Preferred program. It's been the same story at each airport. We land, I pull out my phone and open the Avis app. The app tells me my vehicle and where to find it. Go to the vehicle, drive it to the gate, show my license while they scan a barcode through the windshield and leave. No lines, no counters, no sales pitches. I've haven't been charged anything over what I expected either.

Good to know! That's why I like enterprise because most locations have the kiosk machines you check in at.

As someone who (used to) travel frequently for work, I was a National/Enterprise only guy. I got the app on my phone, I joined their programs and I utilized all the perks and freebie's they offer and get good discounts and free days (that I use for my personal travel). I love the "emerald aisle" where I pay a price, get to the airport and get into my car and leave. There are not surprises and I know the total before I even bring the car back and I can see my .pdf of my receipt as soon as I leave. With rental companies (and hotels) it is good to have brand loyalty.

I'll be renting a car at MCO in January and want to make sure I don't get overcharged. After reading the info here I'm a little confused. For the companies that offer checking in through an app and skipping the counter, is it still possible to get charged a different amount than what's on the original reservation? Or, does that only happen when you go to a counter and involve an employee?

It can happen anytime, it is more likely to happen when you involve someone at the counter whose paycheck is affected by how many customers they get to sign up for extras. If you haven't rented with a company recently, they used to require you to go through the line anyway to verify your credit card and license information. Don't know if that is still the case but was in 2017.

I'll be renting a car at MCO in January and want to make sure I don't get overcharged. After reading the info here I'm a little confused. For the companies that offer checking in through an app and skipping the counter, is it still possible to get charged a different amount than what's on the original reservation? Or, does that only happen when you go to a counter and involve an employee?
The OP was having a bad day and didn't look at the paperwork before signing, so didn't notice the Budget customer service agent had tacked on a bunch of extras. That was unethical on the agent's part to tack on extras without a verbal confirmation from the OP, which is why you should avoid Budget & other bargain basement car rental agencies. They have the cheapest prices for a reason.

If you rent from a reputable company and actually look at the numbers before signing, you'll be fine. Don't buy the extra insurance they try to sell you. It's secondary to your own insurance & a rip-off. Just stick with the basic cost.

A few years ago, we booked with Budget from the UK which included airport fees and insurance. I declined any upgrades at the counter. Wen we took the car back to the garage, they gave me the receipt from the hand held and I expected to find $0 owing. For some reason , I looked at it more carefully (Not easy in a dark garage when it's small writing and I don't see well without my reading glasses) They had added $450 in fees! I sent the rest of my party to the check in desk and went to the Budget desk to complain. I expected a fight but they guy just took my receipt, and said it was wrong, it should only have been $290. This was without checking anything on a computer. I stood my ground and said, "No, it should be nothing at all". He tapped a few numbers into his computer and said, yes, you're right. He took my credit card and gave the whole $450 back.

It made me wonder if they were just trying it on and whether the check in people get a cut of anything they can make us part with. I've check the receipt every time since then. Twice I've found additional charges that I've made them take off there and then. It also makes me wonder if I've overpaid in the past.

I’ve used all the larger ones. Out of MCO do think budget has rather beat vehicles.

DH has a corporate work code thru Avis that’s had the best rates for last year. Their vehicles in far better condition than sister agency, budget

I prefer Alamo for the romp thru the aisle but when pricing difference is more than $100 and in my dime, will go with Avis every time

if u have to deal with the counter & want to speed things up, smile but immediately state:

I have enough personal insurance (assuming you do, make sure to have ur policy info if questioned)

& I decline any/all upgrades

Never again. Had first car break down good thing we maid it to resort. Person on phone was laughing about it. They said tow truck and a lyft was on way to get me. After 20 calls and waiting 1 hour i paid for my own lyft back to airport. Got there and they gave me a new car that smelled of cigars so bad. Only car that fit family had to get spray for car. Nobody at customer service could help. Never ever rent from them

I have a fast break budget rental right now. Looked at my rental contract and everything is declined, just like how it is defined on my fast break profile.

Oh. Rental car employees absolutely earn a commission on any upsells!
One of the things I learned a long time ago, no matter what rental car company. If you show up at the counter, esp in the late afternoon or evening and they push an up sell, if you are happy with the size of car you had booked, then decline the up sell. In my experience, they had run out of the car size that I had booked, but had larger cars available, so they were forced to give me the larger car at the same price of the car size that I had booked.

The OP was having a bad day and didn't look at the paperwork before signing, so didn't notice the Budget customer service agent had tacked on a bunch of extras. That was unethical on the agent's part to tack on extras without a verbal confirmation from the OP, which is why you should avoid Budget & other bargain basement car rental agencies. They have the cheapest prices for a reason.

If you rent from a reputable company and actually look at the numbers before signing, you'll be fine. Don't buy the extra insurance they try to sell you. It's secondary to your own insurance & a rip-off. Just stick with the basic cost.

Yes I was having a horrible day,and it was my responsibility to check the prices. The excuse Budget gave was in my profile it says accept all insurances. In fact my profile said to deny all insurances. He stated that they cannot override the profile without my permission which I had not given. The end result with a couple of hours of haggling, was they charged me for .7 gallons of gasoline when I had filled up just outside the airport. The bottom line is they are not a good company to deal with unless you want a hassle all the way.

In another city, Budget charged me $48 for gas on an early morning return (no attendant). I had filled up the day before at Costco and topped it off just outside the airport. Fortunately, I had receipts and got the charge reversed. I now get receipts for any fill up, even if it means going inside to get it.

I avoid Budget/Avis when possible, even paying a little more. Unfortunately, it’s not always possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter