Birthdays Near Christmas

Mine is December 27, and I've always hated it. Not so much because of the present situation (everyone is good about using birthday wrap), but because it's the "quiet" time between Christmas and New Year's, so now, as an adult, no one wants to go out/go to another party. I love going to live events, and there are rarely any scheduled then because of the proximity to New Years.

DH's birthday is June 30, so 3 days off of my "half" birthday, and he offers every year to "share" :). At least that way I can get some summer items, and maybe go to an outside concert.

Terri
PS I blame my parents for needing me as a tax write off ;)....

My birthday is a week after Christmas, and to be honest I couldn’t care less about combined gifts or having them wrapped in Christmas paper. As an adult, it seems a bit childish to care about wrapping paper... I’m happy if friends/family take some time out of their busy lives to spend it with me. (Whether it be Christmas, New Years, or a random dinner). As a child, I was happy with any gift, but I was jealous of summer birthdays that were gifted cute summer clothes

Birthdays right after the holidays may be worse than before them. Sister-in-law's birthday is January 2. She said when she was growing up people often "forgot" or were too tired to bother with sending her a card or a gift or attend a party. And sometimes she received obvious re-gifts from people's unwanted Christmas haul.

My birthday was the 12th. I always had separate gifts. My Mom will still send me something for my birthday and for Christmas. Same with my sister. I did, however, always have a Christmas themed cake. This was the first year since I was a kid that I didn't have a Christmas cake. Though, my dd did make some Christmas themed cookies :) I always LOVED having my birthday in December. I was early and was supposed to have been born on Christmas. I would have loved that too!

Anybody have a birthday near the holidays? What were your experiences growing up? Or now? Did you get separate gifts/parties/acknowledgements or one combined present? I've heard from some December babies who complained their birthday was overlooked and/or they got one combined gift that was no better than anybody else's standard Christmas gift.

Older DD's birthday is December 19. We've always been careful to have a separate celebration for her plus birthday specific gifts. She will be 29 next week, on a Wednesday, so we don't always celebrate on her birthday itself anymore, but close to it. We've having it on Friday the 21st.

Growing up there were five birthdays near Christmas in my extended family. We'd all gather at my grandmother's house on the Saturday or Sunday before Christmas for a birthday party for those five, and then again on Christmas Day.
Mine is the 27th and my parents used to just give me an extra present and call it Birthday. When I was a teen I complained and we started having separate party on the day. One year everyone forgot even my mom. No one has time or money at the holidays. I had a friend born the 31 and she celebrates in July.

A friends grandchild’s birthday is Christmas Day. It’s Christmas until 6pm and then it’s birthday time. Presents, birthday cake, streamers, etc. This is for the family, not sure how they will handle it once kid parties start. He’s currently 4 years old.

My DD Bday is 12/31. Until she was almost 18, I had everything Christmas related PACKED up and out of sight. It was her Birthday and I didn't want anyone thinking differently. She got just as many presents as Xmas, ALOT! Those after Xmas deals were nice, LOL! She'll be 29 this year, still at home and I have become much more lax. The Xmas tree will probably still be up.

My birthday is 12/23. I've always had separate birthday and Christmas gifts and a separate celebration. My family is good about not wrapping birthday presents in Christmas paper, although my husband did try that ONCE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter