Blind and Dunn River Falls

hodgieha

Mouseketeer
So I will be going on a cruise that stops in Jamaica and was talking to my db about doing Dunn River Falls. He is very interested but a bit concerned as he is legally blind (he does has limited sight). Has any one done this that was blind or with someone who was blind. I want to make sure it won't be an issue before we book. Thanks for any advice/help people have!!!

So I will be going on a cruise that stops in Jamaica and was talking to my db about doing Dunn River Falls. He is very interested but a bit concerned as he is legally blind (he does has limited sight). Has any one done this that was blind or with someone who was blind. I want to make sure it won't be an issue before we book. Thanks for any advice/help people have!!!

We did this about 8 years ago. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. Everyone formed a human chain to climb the falls. It did get very slippery at times. You are climbing 600+ feet on fairly smooth rocks with rushing water.

It might be doable if you can get a private guide. You and the guide would have to basically position your DB's feet for every step; maybe one in front pulling him up and one behind making sure he didn't fall backwards. It's not that the climb is all that physically rigorous, but it is slippery and you HAVE to know where to step.

A private guide might be possible though; there are several companies that offer this excursion but the actual guides are employed by Dunn's River Falls, which is a National Park. Perhaps you could try contacting the facility in advance and discuss your situation: http://www.dunnsriverfallsja.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=57
Good Luck! :wave2:

We did this earlier this year.

You form a human chain and climb up the waterfall, its not really that steep but is very slippery and you need to be able to see where to place your feet. in a couple of points you also need to be able to duck under a bridge and from a few branches.

I would say it could be doable but very risky and I would find something else to do

There is no way on earth I would do it again and I am able to see! Its steep, slippery and I can't envision doing it with limited vision. Hopefully someone with limited vision that has done the climb will give an answer from their perspective.

From FAQ on the DRF web site

Q: Is it possible for physically disabled persons to experience Dunn’s River Falls?

A: In many cases, yes, however special attention must be given as determined by the type of disability. Our well trained guides will be happy to assist our special guests who will also require help from family members and friends with whom they are travelling. We ask that special requests be communicated to our Customer Service team on arrival at the property.

http://www.dunnsriverfallsja.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&Itemid=96

Note also that DRF is not an "all or nothing" experience ... there are parts of the climb that are very easy and it is possible enter and exit at various points along the common path used by the guides. Bro can enjoy the intermediate pools along the way and have the water cascade over his head with climbing little more than a set of stairs

(been to DFR MANY times since the 80's .... no one in the family has so much as skinned a knee)

Thanks everyone for the responses.!! I think my db will pass but I will try to contact Dunn river falls to see what they can do for a blind person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter