BLM teaches kids racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the grandma get upset when the highschool does breast cancer awareness at football games in October because all cancer matters?

I'm sure she spends the whole month of October sitting in a corner blubbering. How can the teachers and administrators agree to advocate for breast cancer awareness? How dare they teach the students to discriminate against other forms of cancer!

Memaw Karen just needed some attention. Bless her heart.

Should be locked, such talk is against the board rules.
Yes it should. I find it funny because I got warning a month or so ago because I mentioned a Presidential candidate by name. I was given a warning because we are not allowed to post political things. Yet every day I see people talking about the govt. and the President and racism, etc.. I have not seen any of these threads shut down. Seems to be very selective.

Racism is not political. I have been here for almost 20 years. Topics regarding race have never been off limits here.

I think some people want it banned now because the shift regarding racial issues across the country makes them uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Racism is not political. I have been here for almost 20 years. Topics regarding race have never been off limits here.

I think some people want it banned now because the shift regarding racial issues across the country makes them uncomfortable.

And yet the threads about racial topics turn nasty with personal attacks from both sides. They inevitably get locked.

As for it being banned, that's up to the mods.

It's been mentioned a number of times on numerous threads that the mods have relaxed the posting guideline enforcement during this period, and will permit reasonable political discussion as long as people act like adults and mind their manners.

To the credit of DISers everywhere, that relaxation has actually gone quite well and there have been some decent discussions.

I'm sure there will come a time when the mods revert back to the basic policies and don't allow political or religious discussion. The closer we get to the "conventions" (lol) and the actual political campaigns, I'm sure things will tighten up -- but that's up to the mods.

Want to get in before they lock this thread.
I think that some people MIS understand the BLM movement but that is all I am going to say.

Everyone can have their own opinion and we are all still at least at this point in our democracy entitled to that. Each morning when I take my walk I go through our local cemetery by the Civil War section, WW I section, WW II section, Korean Conflict section as well as the Vietnam War section and think to myself what might these REAL heroes who died for our country think of the erosion of our Constitutional freedoms that we are now experiencing.
Unfortunately lots and lots of people think that their opinion is correct and do not respect the opinion of others that do not agree with them.

Any bets on how long this thread will stay opened, I have e mailed the moderators twice in the last two days about threads that had the potential to explode.

Any bets on how long this thread will stay opened, I have e mailed the moderators twice in the last two days about threads that had the potential to explode.

I am glad the moderators have came down on the side of freedom so far. Lets hope it continues. One of the best things about the US is we can disagree with others. Sometimes even strongly. It is only very few people that take that freedom to extremes and ruin it for the rest of us.

I've taken to reacting to these stories with a deep sigh, reminding myself that 'life is suffering', and just clamping down on the wellspring of bitterness building within me.

When pressed on the matter... of course all lives matter. If a person needs to hear that, I'll say it. But the need for such an affirmation is in no way equal. That's not an opinion, it's a quantifiable fact. I call the test, the Patrice quotient. Ask people to name that girl that Dutch guy Van DerSloot murdered in Aruba. Then ask for the name of the second girl he probably murdered. Divide the time it took to come up with the first name by the time it takes to come up with the second. I usually get PQs of less than 0.001.

I think that some people MIS understand the BLM movement but that is all I am going to say.
Agree, and it's understandable because there is no central organization and the meaning of the term varies from locale to locale, from person to person, and from moment to moment.

Neither staunch advocates of BLM nor strong opponents of BLM can agree among themselves what they are arguing FOR or AGAINST.

So it's quite impossible to have a lucid conversation about a topic when nobody on any side has the same definition.

what might these REAL heroes who died for our country think of the erosion of our Constitutional freedoms that we are now experiencing.
Well, my Dad was one of those heroes and I think he would be proud of us.

We are having a conversation. We're not sure what we're talking about (:rotfl2:), but people are expressing their opinions on important issues, and that is what freedom of speech is about.

The First Amendment does not specify that only coherent, sensible, honest speech is protected. ALL speech is protected unless you go really "Fire in a crowded theater" crazy.

It's not only that we should not suppress ideas that confront -- and sometimes offend -- us.

We NEED to hear those ideas. And the more we disagree, the more we need to listen -- and protect their freedom to speak.

In the extreme example of a true, bloodthirsty racist -- what better way to defeat that person than to expose their ideas? Suppressing them is NOT the answer.

Unfortunately lots and lots of people think that their opinion is correct and do not respect the opinion of others that do not agree with them.
THAT is not the problem. It has always been thus.

People do not respect differing opinions, and if you disagree, I will pound a bump on your head!

The real problem is that too many people and organizations (including REAL leaders in our society) are unwilling to put their big kid panties on and say, "Wait a minute -- let's hear both sides of this."

Instead, the moment anyone is (or pretends to be) "offended," they are shutting down the conversation and doing silly symbolic curtsies to the non-offensive avoidance of controversy.

Any bets on how long this thread will stay opened
As with everything else on the planet...it's up to US.

The difference between the DIS and the real world is that there are no mods in the real world.

Agree, and it's understandable because there is no central organization and the meaning of the term varies from locale to locale, from person to person, and from moment to moment.

Neither staunch advocates of BLM nor strong opponents of BLM can agree among themselves what they are arguing FOR or AGAINST.

So it's quite impossible to have a lucid conversation about a topic when nobody on any side has the same definition.

We are having a conversation. We're not sure what we're talking about (:rotfl2:), but people are expressing their opinions on important issues, and that is what freedom of speech is about.

The First Amendment does not specify that only coherent, sensible, honest speech is protected. ALL speech is protected unless you go really "Fire in a crowded theater" crazy.

It's not only that we should not suppress ideas that confront -- and sometimes offend -- us.

We NEED to hear those ideas. And the more we disagree, the more we need to listen -- and protect their freedom to speak.

In the extreme example of a true, bloodthirsty racist -- what better way to defeat that person than to expose their ideas? Suppressing them is NOT the answer.

People do not respect differing opinions, and if you disagree, I will pound a bump on your head!

The real problem is that too many people and organizations (including REAL leaders in our society) are unwilling to put their big kid panties on and say, "Wait a minute -- let's hear both sides of this."

Instead, the moment anyone is (or pretends to be) "offended," they are shutting down the conversation and doing silly symbolic curtsies to the non-offensive avoidance of controversy.

The difference between the DIS and the real world is that there are no mods in the real world.
I agree and my whole family were those heroes in WW II. While none of them were killed, a few of them were never the same( one floating in shark infested waters with body parts all around him for 24 hours when his ship was hit; ,enlisted at 17 suffered a different type of "death" ) but one thing they were adamant about was the Constitution and amendments. I am sure you will agree that while there is theoretically freedom of speech, true freedom of speech would occur when people are not demonized or afraid to express themselves with a differing point of view. In this country today that is not the case and I think that many people express what is popular or expedient NOT what they truly feel out of fear of repercussion.

I have had the conversation with my very insightful 21 year old about the kneeling during the anthem. We both agree that if you protest in your back yard, how does that bring change? The best way to make change is to make people uncomfortable.

Want to get in before they lock this thread.
As they say, talk is cheap, actions speak louder. I think most people are judging it by the actions it doing. You know, the burning and destruction of our cities maybe? The looting, stealing, and murdering?

I know, I know, it's the same old rebuttal. Here's the thing, if I wanted to organize a protest in the bank about financial inequalities and 100 members of the Disboards join me, and in the middle of the bank someone pulls out a firearm and robs the bank, and we all don't separate ourselves from that person, now we all are no longer protesters. We're all now bank robbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter