BLM teaches kids racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing that other people believe black people’s lives matter almost put her in tears. She thinks the idea that black people’s lives matter is unfair to any student who isn’t black. Poor, poor, white woman having to grapple with the uncomfortable feeling that her position of supremacy in society might be slipping away.

Go home grandma, you’re racist.
In many ways she is right black lives matter has devolved into something dangerous. Considering how many black men have been killed in the riots, you say blm but how does that count when so many black and ethnically owned businesses have been destroyed in riots. That blm is extorting money and demands from businesses with the threats of retaliation to any one who does not know tow to their demands

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...er-Louisville-decries-BLMs-mafia-tactics.html

As they say, talk is cheap, actions speak louder. I think most people are judging it by the actions it doing. You know, the burning and destruction of our cities maybe? The looting, stealing, and murdering?

I know, I know, it's the same old rebuttal. Here's the thing, if I wanted to organize a protest in the bank about financial inequalities and 100 members of the Disboards join me, and in the middle of the bank someone pulls out a firearm and robs the bank, and we all don't separate ourselves from that person, now we all are no longer protesters. We're all now bank robbers.
Totally agree. And, unfortunately, those bank robbers are not being held accountable for their actions.

Agree, and it's understandable because there is no central organization and the meaning of the term varies from locale to locale, from person to person, and from moment to moment.

I see what you're saying and think that in some discussions there is a difference between BLM as a "movement" and the actual phrase "Black Lives Matter". From my reading of the article, I think the grandmother was referring to the literal words "Black Lives Matter" and not all the politics behind it. She was upset ("almost brought to tears") by the fact that elementary aged kids would hear those words and think that they were being discriminated against. i.e. If black lives matter, then white lives don't.

Here's a recent example in my own family. My MIL was visiting a few weeks ago. My husband and son were driving on some back country roads with her to our property and passed a hand painted sign that said "Black Lives Matter". MIL said "All the way out here?" My husband asked her to clarify and she said skeptically, "Black Lives Matter all the way out here?" Husband responded that black lives matter everywhere and wound up having a discussion about why. In that situation, they weren't really discussing all the politics and the nuances of the movement. My husband just didn't feel that he could have our son hear his grandmother basically saying that black lives shouldn't matter because we live in a rural area without calling her out on it. It was about the literal words, not the BLM movement.

The BLM political group is very different from the BLM ideal that most Americans are protesting in support of. Honestly, if one does not support the ideal, they label themselves.

But I can absolutely see why someone would not support the agenda of the political group. I have participated in BLM marches for years and do not support that agenda.

In many ways she is right black lives matter has devolved into something dangerous. Considering how many black men have been killed in the riots, you say blm but how does that count when so many black and ethnically owned businesses have been destroyed in riots. That blm is extorting money and demands from businesses with the threats of retaliation to any one who does not know tow to their demands

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...er-Louisville-decries-BLMs-mafia-tactics.html
1) The signage Grandma took exception to read “Black Lives Matter to Hazelwood Hawks.” She asked why it couldn’t say “All Lives Matter” instead. Neither she nor the school were talking about BLM the organization, they were referring to the literal concept that black people’s lives matter.

2) If she had been talking about BLM the organization, I would remind her BLM is a decentralized social movement and, like anything, there will be a few idiots who ruin it for the rest. I mean, this is the argument we heard for years from those who wanted to look the other way when it came to incidents of police brutality — the vast, vast majority of officers are good but there will always be a few bad apples in any bunch. I’m sure all those folks would agree that when you’re talking about hundreds of thousands of everyday citizens joining a protest, you’re bound to have a few bad apples who don’t reflect highly on the cause. But, we should look past those few because by and large the organization is honorable.

3) If Grandma’s issue with the BLM movement came from her overwhelming concerns for minority-owned businesses, I would ask her why she cares more about harm done to an insured building than she does the harm being done to actual human lives, which is the issue at the core of the Black Lives Matter movement.

The BLM political group is very different from the BLM ideal that most Americans are protesting in support of. Honestly, if one does not support the ideal, they label themselves.

But I can absolutely see why someone would not support the agenda of the political group. I have participated in BLM marches for years and do not support that agenda.

Yes, there is a distinction. I think one of the biggest issues is that the group, such that it is, doesn't appear to be well organized with a solid platform, at least from what I see. This leads to a lot of mixed messaging that in turn causes dismissal when one of the more extreme messages offends potential allies. I do 100% agree with the ideal.

3) If Grandma’s issue with the BLM movement came from her overwhelming concerns for minority-owned businesses, I would ask her why she cares more about harm done to an insured building than she does the harm being done to actual human lives, which is the issue at the core of the Black Lives Matter movement.

This made me think of a line in Trey Songz' song How Many Times
"You talking 'bout the city on fire, where your rage when my people die?"

Yes, there is a distinction. I think one of the biggest issues is that the group, such that it is, doesn't appear to be well organized with a solid platform, at least from what I see. This leads to a lot of mixed messaging that in turn causes dismissal when one of the more extreme messages offends potential allies. I do 100% agree with the ideal.
Perhaps those who support the ideal should be using the message that was the first sign that BLM were an extremist group - "All lives matter" because all lives do matter dont they?

The ultimate aim for the "ideal" should be for there to be no discrimination. No differentiation. As soon as you add in any kind of positive discrimination you risk causing more division or worse and end up with a South africa type situation.

Calling people who claim "All Lives Matter" racist was never a good starting point for the movement.

Perhaps those who support the ideal should be using the message that was the first sign that BLM were an extremist group - "All lives matter" because all lives do matter dont they?

The ultimate aim for the "ideal" should be for there to be no discrimination. No differentiation. As soon as you add in any kind of positive discrimination you risk causing more division or worse and end up with a South africa type situation.

Calling people who claim "All Lives Matter" racist was never a good starting point for the movement.

Well, it's semantics, but I do have to disagree with you. The reason the slogan is "black lives matter" is that because other lives are perceived to already matter while black lives don't to society at large. Now, the statement is somewhat of a hyperbole but it also makes a point, and that point is dismissed and minimized by saying "all lives matter" in response. I do agree that the ideal is for equality, but while there are some who might want to go further than that, I think the vast majority of the movement wants exactly that.

It just seems to me that if you focus on any statement other than one of equality then you are 1) offending others and 2) risking the balance swinging past equality - as I said this is the same problem South Africa ended up with.

It just seems to me that if you focus on any statement other than one of equality then you are 1) offending others and 2) risking the balance swinging past equality - as I said this is the same problem South Africa ended up with.

The thing though is that some segments of society are already where they need to be while others aren't. The slogan isn't exclusive in that it makes no statements about other people - don't fall into that logical fallacy. The omission of the term "all" doesn't mean that the people supporting the movement don't care about others - it's just not what is at issue. As a slogan maybe it's not the greatest or most effective, but again, don't get bogged down in semantics.

This is from a candidate on today's ballot for Senate in my state:

"What is your response to the Black Lives Matter movement?

I understand it but I don’t understand some of the violence involved.

The majority-minority in this country are Mexican Americans and we are victimized as much by police as African-Americans if not more.

I’m kind of indifferent to their movement. Most of the acts of discrimination we investigated were against Blacks and Native Americans."

Though it pertains to the movement I get the feeling that the candidate would be more along the lines of saying All Lives Matter well actually maybe he would say that other minorities lives matter more than Blacks..IDK actually I'm not sure reading his comments, the phrasing, etc including the other questions he was asked but I get the feeling he would.

Does she not relize how lucky she is people of color are getting harrassed by the police by doing what I do every day that is walking a outdoor mall to get my steps in, I have herd of blacks getting shoot just from walking home from work

The thing though is that some segments of society are already where they need to be while others aren't. The slogan isn't exclusive in that it makes no statements about other people - don't fall into that logical fallacy. The omission of the term "all" doesn't mean that the people supporting the movement don't care about others - it's just not what is at issue. As a slogan maybe it's not the greatest or most effective, but again, don't get bogged down in semantics.
It’s been explained enough at this point that those who were ever open to understanding, do. If people still don’t understand it’s because they don’t want to. It wouldn’t matter what slogan had been picked, those people would still criticize it because it’s the cause they don’t agree with. The same way Rodney King was mocked for saying “Can’t we all get along?” and Colin Kaepernick was derided for kneeling. They pick apart the details so they can undermine and ignore the message.

It’s been explained enough at this point that those who were ever open to understanding, do. If people still don’t understand it’s because they don’t want to. It wouldn’t matter what slogan had been picked, those people would still criticize it because it’s the cause they don’t agree with. The same way Rodney King was mocked for saying “Can’t we all get along?” and Colin Kaepernick was derided for kneeling. They pick apart the details so they can undermine and ignore the message.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily assume that everyone has heard the explanation, or at least that it's not worth repeating, but I do agree that we will be more critical of details when we don't agree with something in general. It's like nitpicking a movie - when you overall enjoy it you let small issues go, but if you didn't, then every small flaw becomes magnified. It's just human nature I guess, and it's unfortunate that the positive messages can be so easily derailed by other factors.

And I wonder if those people get just as upset when they hear Blue Lives Matter. “You shouldn’t say blue lives matter! ALL lives matter!”

They absolutely do not have an issue with it. And that’s the ridiculous part of the argument.

If someone can say/hear “Police lives matter” and not feel the need to get offended and retort that “All lives matter”, then they obviously understand the concept that saying “___ lives matter” does not imply that other lives do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter