Blue Card Increased Info 100 to 125 (Effective Oct 19)

Different strokes. That would have worse value to me... as buying 100 new and 100 resale, wouldn’t let me use all 200 points at the newest and future resorts. So I’d be losing far more benefits than I’d be gaining.
As I said, different strokes. Yes, for some people, the direct purchase can have some objective economic benefit. Not for others.

My response was only related to the blue card benefits and APs,

If one wants to stay at new resorts, then the Resale vs, direct point is moot, no matter the savings.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity does anyone know how soon before these sort of changes Disney previously officially announced them, is it quite short notice?

It varies. With the initial 2016 restriction, it was dropped at midnight (zero notice). Then the 75 point minimum they made an announcement 2 weeks out. With the 100 point, it was just "leaked" to guides a week or so out but never really published until after the date.

If you're concerned and are thinking seriously about buying the 100 direct, I'd act now unless you're ok with 125. Heck, today is 9 days out from October 1st, so you could always rescind on the 1st if you wanted to. (Maybe wait until 9/27 or something if that's your plan so you have a few days of slack.)

When they added the initial restriction in 2016, it took my brain about 2.4 seconds to think "why not buy resale and just add on 25 direct?" Strange they didn't consider that at the time. It's a very obvious workaround for just a few bucks. I'm surprised they're (possibly) going over 100, too. Maybe some new perk is about to be introduced? (hahaha yeah right.)

Something I hadn't considered before but just popped into mind.

I bought contract direct to do just this, and it only represents 15% of my total ownership. The remainder of my points are resale points and not eligible for blue card.

For me, the contract dates expire roughly around the same time. But what if I had bought a 2042 resort direct to get blue card benefits? Then in 22 years I'd imagine when that contract expires I'd no longer be eligible for blue card. If that's the case then buying with the primary motivator of blue card should really go hand in hand with buying the furthest deed expiration date.

Something I hadn't considered before but just popped into mind.

I bought contract direct to do just this, and it only represents 15% of my total ownership. The remainder of my points are resale points and not eligible for blue card.

For me, the contract dates expire roughly around the same time. But what if I had bought a 2042 resort direct to get blue card benefits? Then in 22 years I'd imagine when that contract expires I'd no longer be eligible for blue card. If that's the case then buying with the primary motivator of blue card should really go hand in hand with buying the furthest deed expiration date.

This was another reason I wanted my adult kids on RIV with DH and me. They are now blue card eligible into 2070.

Even though I was grandfathered, it was on a 2042. Now, I’ve since sold those because I could, but it’s nice to know all of us have the benefits whatever they turn out to be!

This was another reason I wanted my adult kids on RIV with DH and me. They are now blue card eligible into 2070.

Even though I was grandfathered, it was on a 2042. Now, I’ve since sold those because I could, but it’s nice to know all of us have the benefits whatever they turn out to be!
If I add my kids on later, they will still be eligible for the direct benefits, correct? They're not adults yet, but when they are, we intend to add them both (waiting for the youngest to be an adult). I'm not looking forward to that headache, though, as we have 17 small point contracts we'd need to change if we want to keep everything on the same membership...

If I add my kids on later, they will still be eligible for the direct benefits, correct? They're not adults yet, but when they are, we intend to add them both (waiting for the youngest to be an adult). I'm not looking forward to that headache, though, as we have 17 small point contracts we'd need to change if we want to keep everything on the same membership...

Correct...if you do a gratuitous transfer and add them to the deed...basically, you and DH transfer it to a new deed with everyone...

And, to keep it in the membership, all contracts have to change. It’s why I needed to add them to my SSR too.

We do own a Dec UY with other contracts and did not make them owners of those.

My response was only related to the blue card benefits and APs,

If one wants to stay at new resorts, then the Resale vs, direct point is moot, no matter the savings.

But that's the point... Giving up 1 "value" to get another "value" isn't truly a savings... or it's simply complicated.

From a purely cost-savings scenario.... one is best off simply staying off property (putting aside the possibility of forgoing Disney altogether).
Staying on property... I haven't done the math... I suppose stretched over enough years, DVC *might* theoretically be cheaper than value resorts... though for any practical duration of time, and thinking of lost opportunity, value is going to be cheaper than DVC...

But DVC brings value you don't get from a value level resort. A higher level of accommodation... typically in a better location.
Though again... if you're truly looking for an equivalent of a deluxe resort in terms of location and amenities, then you're talking about GFV, BLT, etc.... where OKW and SSR don't really reach that deluxe level in location and amenities. Then buying direct vs resale, more trade offs. And the strategy of buying half-direct and half-resale, means getting some of the benefits but losing others.

Some of these things are easy to assign dollar values too -- Pretty easy to calculate the cost of a ticket. Other things are hard to assign a dollar value too -- like the prospect of being able to stay in a new currently unknown DVC in the year 2038 versus the the "old" existing properties. Even other things are simply unknown -- such as even that AP discount, which Disney could simply revoke at any time.

A lot of people go through a lot of machinations to claim something is a "savings" or a "good investment."

In the end, you get what you pay for. DVC may "cost less" in the long term, but the trade-off is that I have to generally book those trips far in advance, I'm somewhat limiting my future options... You may indeed be "saving" with AP, but in return, having to space your trips by 11 months, having to commit far in advance to multiple trips, etc.

The choice of whether to buy DVC.. whether to buy direct or re-sale.. there is no easy mathematical equation of "savings"... it's more simply about whether it's going to provide the subjective and objective benefits that will make you happy.

But that's the point... Giving up 1 "value" to get another "value" isn't truly a savings... or it's simply complicated.

From a purely cost-savings scenario.... one is best off simply staying off property (putting aside the possibility of forgoing Disney altogether).
Staying on property... I haven't done the math... I suppose stretched over enough years, DVC *might* theoretically be cheaper than value resorts... though for any practical duration of time, and thinking of lost opportunity, value is going to be cheaper than DVC...

But DVC brings value you don't get from a value level resort. A higher level of accommodation... typically in a better location.
Though again... if you're truly looking for an equivalent of a deluxe resort in terms of location and amenities, then you're talking about GFV, BLT, etc.... where OKW and SSR don't really reach that deluxe level in location and amenities. Then buying direct vs resale, more trade offs. And the strategy of buying half-direct and half-resale, means getting some of the benefits but losing others.

Some of these things are easy to assign dollar values too -- Pretty easy to calculate the cost of a ticket. Other things are hard to assign a dollar value too -- like the prospect of being able to stay in a new currently unknown DVC in the year 2038 versus the the "old" existing properties. Even other things are simply unknown -- such as even that AP discount, which Disney could simply revoke at any time.

A lot of people go through a lot of machinations to claim something is a "savings" or a "good investment."

In the end, you get what you pay for. DVC may "cost less" in the long term, but the trade-off is that I have to generally book those trips far in advance, I'm somewhat limiting my future options... You may indeed be "saving" with AP, but in return, having to space your trips by 11 months, having to commit far in advance to multiple trips, etc.

The choice of whether to buy DVC.. whether to buy direct or re-sale.. there is no easy mathematical equation of "savings"... it's more simply about whether it's going to provide the subjective and objective benefits that will make you happy.

This thread is about blue card benefits and the discussion I thought about whether one is spending more to get will makes sense

So I was discussing that which has nothing to do with staying at new vs old resorts because you don’t need a blue card to do that. Or the value of DVC.

Someone can add on 75 points direct right now and have some points to stay at RIV and won’t get the blue card

So, I’ll go back to my original point that if one is buying for blue cards..which is the topic of the thread.. there are creative ways to get it and spend around $7k to do it. Will that work for everykne? No

Now, if you want to discuss the benefits of owing all direct vs resale for new resorts, then start a new one but this one is really about the blue card and whether that alone is worth owning at least enough direct points to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
...which means the restrictions had the intended effect driving people to buy the current resort direct!

2042 is WAY too far off to think about something like this, IMHO, but everyone sees things differently.

Last edited:
This thread is about blue card benefits and the discussion I thought about whether one is spending more to get will makes sense

So I was discussing that which has nothing to do with staying at new vs old resorts because you don’t need a blue card to do that. Or the value of DVC.

Someone can add on 75 points direct right now and have some points to stay at RIV and won’t get the blue card

So, I’ll go back to my original point that if one is buying for blue cards..which is the topic of the thread.. there are creative ways to get it and spend around $7k to do it. Will that work for everykne? No

Now, if you want to discuss the benefits of owing all direct vs resale for new resorts, then start a new one but this one is really about the blue card and whether that alone is worth owning at least enough direct points to make it worthwhile.

Direct vs re-sale is directly related -- As the change is affecting new direct buyers. For add-on buyers -- if they already have a blue card, then size of the add-on is irrelevant.
And it's all related.... you can't talk about the value of buying direct as solely the blue card discounts, all the other benefits and detriments (price) are all part of the equation as well.

Talked to someone at Disney Vacations today (just before 5PM EST) inquiring about DVC direct purchasing... he said unprompted mid discussion that “mid-October expect the 100 pt minimum to rise to 125 for blue card”. I know there was some speculation about Oct. 1st... interesting to hear an employee state that today on the phone!

Direct vs re-sale is directly related -- As the change is affecting new direct buyers. For add-on buyers -- if they already have a blue card, then size of the add-on is irrelevant.
And it's all related.... you can't talk about the value of buying direct as solely the blue card discounts, all the other benefits and detriments (price) are all part of the equation as well.

I am not sure what more I can do but I have explained the purpose of my posts.

I am sharing my views on whether or not buying direct points for the sole purpose of the blue card is worth it and sharing ideas and situations where someone on the fence can strategically make it work for less than $7k before the minimum goes up. Nothing more, nothing less.

IThis thread is really not for discussing the pros and cons of buying DVC. We have other threads for that.

So let’s just move on because we are each talking about a different topic.

Last edited:
Talked to someone at Disney Vacations today (just before 5PM EST) inquiring about DVC direct purchasing... he said unprompted mid discussion that “mid-October expect the 100 pt minimum to rise to 125 for blue card”. I know there was some speculation about Oct. 1st... interesting to hear an employee state that today on the phone!

Well, that is now an interesting twist. Maybe they are getting some good business and are delaying the increase because of it?

Someone else said the same thing last week; I can’t find the post now. I think they had a specific revised date too.

I would think they know approximately what the impact will be based on buying trends. I am a perfect example. I bought 100 points direct at RIV last year. I was on the fence between 100 and 140. I stuck with 100 because there was no additional discount until 150 and having a second kid on the way and a trip booked by renting in November 2019 we knew we weren’t going to use points until 2021 at the earliest. I figured if I want to add small point contracts as we define our vacation habits that is an easier pill to swallow. That being said, if they told me the minimum was 125 I would have bought that no questions asked. I guess the question is for every 500 buyers of 100 point contracts, how many would buy 125 point contracts? If they got 401 of those 500 people to buy 125 instead of 100 then they sold more points.

As a side note, they did eliminate the ability to buy 25 add on points at RIV so that sucks for me worse than the 100 to 125 point minimum would have.

Someone else said the same thing last week; I can’t find the post now. I think they had a specific revised date too.

Can't help think that the reason why the date might have been pushed (I assume it originally was 10/1) is that they see an inflow of buyers for 100 points and they might get spooked and hold off from buying if they increase it too fast during COVID-19. No doubt about they will increase it, but in these times its better to take what you can get in terms of timeshare sales.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter