Blue Card Increased Info 100 to 125 (Effective Oct 19)

We very well could be looking at something like an announcement on October 1st, taking effect on October 19.

The guy who said 19th Oct works on the DIS DVC show, so info should be reliable..

He has been wrong about a few things over the years too..including some info regarding opening.

So, I’d bet each rumor holds until it’s officially announced. I would not wait if on the fence and that 25 points matters.

Last year people waited until last day, didn’t get contract made and signed and they would not waive.

I'm hoping someone can offer some guidance here. My partner and I spoke about it and think DVC would be the right choice for us.

We have a trip planned (renting points) for next Spring so he wants to wait until AFTER our trip to purchase. Wouldn't it be better to purchase now, rather than wait?

My plan is to purchase 100 direct (CC) and then in a few years buy resale with the same UY at a different resort.

I'm hoping someone can offer some guidance here. My partner and I spoke about it and think DVC would be the right choice for us.

We have a trip planned (renting points) for next Spring so he wants to wait until AFTER our trip to purchase. Wouldn't it be better to purchase now, rather than wait?

My plan is to purchase 100 direct (CC) and then in a few years buy resale with the same UY at a different resort.
Usually buy resale first and then it’s easier to match the UY.

Will you use the direct benefits? CCV is about $145 on resale

What’s your partners rationale?

To justify the roughly $90 premium on CCV direct you’d need to get $9,000 out of The direct benefits. If you don’t have kids you’ll almost certainly never do it; if you do, it’s only really possible if you are someone who doesn’t live in Florida, is definitely buying APs every year, and is OK with the Gold AP instead of the Platinum one. Or you value Moonlight Magic at a thousand dollars per event and are able to get to them. I’d make absolutely sure you want to buy direct points.

What’s your partners rationale?

To justify the roughly $90 premium on CCV direct you’d need to get $9,000 out of The direct benefits. If you don’t have kids you’ll almost certainly never do it; if you do, it’s only really possible if you are someone who doesn’t live in Florida, is definitely buying APs every year, and is OK with the Gold AP instead of the Platinum one. Or you value Moonlight Magic at a thousand dollars per event and are able to get to them. I’d make absolutely sure you want to buy direct points.

I have done of the research (been researching for about a year). When I asked him why he wanted to wait last night I realized he thought the contract expiration would be a extended a year if we bought next year.

Currently no kids yet, planning on two in the next few years. My older sister pointed out that we may not want to go when our kids are super young, but my sisters or my parents could take my niece (3) and nephew (10 months), when my kids are young.

We live in New York State. My family is still in California.

I've gone to WDW every year since 2017 (I know that does not seem like a lot, but I grew up in California so went to Disneyland a couple times a year as a kid). We're skipping this year, but going in March next year. I want to get an annual pass so we can go in January or February 2022 if they're available in March.

I'm looking at the math and it seems to me like we'd hit the $9000 savings by the savings on AP discount, even if we only buy APs every other year, just the two of us. I could be miscalculating that though.

Usually buy resale first and then it’s easier to match the UY.

Will you use the direct benefits? CCV is about $145 on resale

Thanks for the info!

with you looking for 100 points, I assume you are looking to book studios. If true, beware studios go very fast, at all locations especially at CCV. Thanks to those over priced cabins.

with you looking for 100 points, I assume you are looking to book studios. If true, beware studios go very fast, at all locations especially at CCV. Thanks to those over priced cabins.
You might want to consider looking into purchasing a Fixed Week if you tend to travel around the same time each year. FWs give a lot of flexibility, as it'll guarantee that week each year OR you can cancel and get the points back to use during a different year.

CCV Fixed Weeks for a Studio range from 118 points up depending on the week. I have 2 FWs for Weeks 47 (Thanksgiving most years) and 48 (start of Christmas holidays), and they were 118 each.

Lots of good info on the pros and cons of fixed weeks can be found here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/all-about-fixed-weeks-riv-ccv-aul-vgf-poly-charts.3806985/

The guy who said 19th Oct works on the DIS DVC show, so info should be reliable..
He has been wrong about a few things over the years too..including some info regarding opening.

So, I’d bet each rumor holds until it’s officially announced. I would not wait if on the fence and that 25 points matters.

Last year people waited until last day, didn’t get contract made and signed and they would not waive.
Always verify with your favorite Disney transportation device operator first!

And definitely +1 on don't wait until the last minute, either.

I'm looking at the math and it seems to me like we'd hit the $9000 savings by the savings on AP discount, even if we only buy APs every other year, just the two of us. I could be miscalculating that though.

As of today, the "savings" of the gold pass vs. platinum is $476 (of course it's not exactly the same product). Buying 2 every other year, which is the best strategy, it would take you 20 years to **break-even** and the savings would start after that. Said differently you'd save $476 a year which is about a 5% return on the "investment" of the extra $9k.

The math gets better with a bigger family of course, and there are some other ancillary member benefits that you may or may not get to really use. This also assumes that the annual pass discount continues for decades to come. Remember there was no such thing as the gold pass just 5 years ago...

As of today, the "savings" of the gold pass vs. platinum is $476 (of course it's not exactly the same product). Buying 2 every other year, which is the best strategy, it would take you 20 years to **break-even** and the savings would start after that. Said differently you'd save $476 a year which is about a 5% return on the "investment" of the extra $9k.

The math gets better with a bigger family of course, and there are some other ancillary member benefits that you may or may not get to really use. This also assumes that the annual pass discount continues for decades to come. Remember there was no such thing as the gold pass just 5 years ago...
If by chance your strategy is to go to Disney more than once in a year, then it would take 10 years to break even, as you'd be renewing every year. And as aoconnor noted, if you have children, the savings increase and it would take less time.

The big difference in buying now vs, in the spring is really the 25 points. The rest of your analysis is the same since it’s blue Card vs no blue card,

The other option is getting CCV direct as it could be sold out by spring. If you decided on a FW to guarantee studios, then those may not e available either as they can only sell so many.

The last piece is RIV and new resorts, Buying resale only locks you out of those,,..have to decide if that is okay or not,

If the plan is AP, possibly every other year to start that $5k is a lot and I’d buy now if you feel comfortable doing so.

The big difference I see is, if you want the blue card, it’ll cost you 100 direct points now versus 125 direct points after your trip.

Last edited:

Hence why I decided to keep the "rumor" label intact. Regardless of what we hear from sources, it doesn't become true until Disney officially puts it out there. I do agree, however, that if those 25 points are going to make or break the decision for you it is best to pull the trigger on it now.

The big difference in buying now vs, in the spring is really the 25 points. The rest of your analysis is the same since it’s blue Card vs no blue card,

The other option is getting CCV direct as it could be sold out by spring. If you decided on a FW to guarantee studios, then those may not e available either as they can only sell so many.

The last piece is RIV and new resorts, Buying resale only locks you out of those,,..have to decide if that is okay or not,

If the plan is AP, possibly every other year to start that $5k is a lot and I’d buy now if you feel comfortable doing so.

If it takes 10 - 15 years for it to be worth it to buy direct, at the end of the 48 year contract it will be still be worth it.

I just emailed the guide I've been speaking with about a FW. We like traveling in Fall, but aren't married to always traveling in Fall.

I'm sorry if this is not the appropriate place to ask (please redirect me if I'm wrong), but if we had a 110 points with a June UY, could we bank the 2020 points to 2021 and have until May 30, 2022 to use the 2020 and 2021 points?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter