Boardwalk or Downtown Disney???

nkjzmom

<font color=purple>and baby Samantha, too!<br><fon
The fam is coming down for a wedding in Cocoa Beach and just had to get a day or two in at Disney. We have Sunday afternoon and evening free and are wanting to do something relatively cheap and relaxing. We have 4 children ages 7-18 months...our son will be turning 8 that week. Which would be more appropriate for our family?

Thanks!!

With those ages, I'd pick DTD... especially if you want to do it less expensively. There's more to see, even if you are just browsing in the shops and not buying.

The kids can play in the lego area and there are lots of good photo ops there. At the RFC, they have wonderful saltwater fish tanks to see and on the West Side, how cool-looking is Bongos and the other restaurants, even if you're not going into them?

The Boardwalk is nice, but the restaurants are more pricey. There are street vendors and jugglers, etc., to entertain you. If you're not the browsing type, you can rent a surrey bike and ride around the lake.

Still, if I only had one night, I'd pick DTD.

We're in the same situation. We're going down for a family reunion in November. We were just at WDW last year, and can't really justify another full-scale Disney trip right now, but I hate to go all the way down there and not see Mickey!

Here's what we're planning:

One day we're going to have breakfast at Chef Mickey's, and then tour the resorts for the day. We're going to ride the monorail around to the monorail resorts, and spend at least a little bit of time wandering around each one. Then we'll take a boat to the Wilderness Lodge, and I guess drive to AK Lodge. We'll spend some time swimming at the resort pool. In the evening we'll go to the Boardwalk to wander around at eat ice cream at Beaches and Cream. I'm hoping to catch at least a glimpse of Illuminations from outside the park.

The next day we're going to MK for the day. The park closes at 6, but in my experience they don't rush you out of the park. We'll really take our time leaving, and enjoy the lights on Main Street and on the castle.

We're going to stop at Downtown Disney for at least a little while on another day (while driving between various family members' homes in Florida.) The Lego store is like Mecca for my 11yo Bionicle-loving DS. And I really want to visit the new toy store. We have a Rainforest Cafe near home, but if we didn't we would probably stop in there at least for a snack. Maybe we'll get an ice cream at Ghirardelli.

If you go to DTD, you can go to the Studio M and have a picture taken with Mickey. They aren't too expensive and you get to hang out in private with the real Mickey (even if it is just for a few minutes!). The pix are cute and will give you a little bit of Disney if you can't go to the parks. Also, a huge new toy store just opened there. We love the BW too but there's probably more to entertain the kids at DTD. Have fun!

Downtown Disney definitely offers more options.

The Boardwalk has some nice restaurants and lovely views at night. It can be very relaxing, but if you want to relax at Downtown Disney you can do that too.

With kids, DTD is definitely the way to go! Between the Lego Store, World of Disney and Once Upon a Toy, there's more than enough to keep them occupied plus the photo opportunities are great! Don't miss the various Lego Sculptures near the Lego Store. My two DSs insist on having their pictures taken with their heads in the Lego Lion's mouth every time!

Thank you all so much....you've helped me make up my mind. The Boardwalk will have to wait!!!

I'd vote for DTD too. The Lego store is suppose to have a new playarea next to the store (barn theme I think). There is a train ride and a carousel ride in DTD too. My DD4 loves to look at all the stuff and spent 30 minutes in the stuffed character section of WOD store.

bumping this - I have this same question and wanted to see if anyone had a different opinion....

Downtown Disney during the day, but Boardwalk at night.

Downtown Disney is less crowded during the day. Makes it less stressful to shop & try to keep an eye on the kids. The LEGO store & play area is jam packed at night. I was wreck trying to watch my 3 DD's. There is also hardly any wait for hair wraps or to eat a sit down lunch.

In the evening Boardwalk has the street vendors to watch & take a leisurely stroll. You can usually see the EPCOT fireworks from the Boardwalk also if you are on the bridge.

That's just my opinion.

Downtown Disney!!!!!!!!!! Downtown Disney has things for kids and things for grownups IT IS GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!DOWNTOWN DISNEY!!!!!!!:earsboy: :earseek: :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter