Boma opinions...

This is my recent opinion on Boma (sorry for the essay! Boma is special to me so I have a lot to say lol):

Boma had always been my family’s #1 Disney dining destination. It was an entire mini-vacation in itself, from the moment we stepped into the AKL (always through the gift shop! The first of many Boma traditions), to lounging in the lobby and people watching (another tradition!), to strolling outside to see the animals, and then descending the spectacular staircase with the iron animal sculptures, and of course the eating part! We love the cast members there and have always enjoyed chatting with them about their home countries. We just loved Boma!!

Food wise, we vegetarians were thrilled! The options were almost unlimited. We loved everything from the simple mealie bread and flavored hummuses to the exotic (of varying levels) items such as the stews, curry pasta salad, lentils, porridges ... we could create plates with a tremendously satisfying array of foods, and were so appreciative that this meal was not yet another of Disney’s unending “caprese salad” options (they are everywhere! We laugh about it, but it’s true!). With the menu rotating multiple times a week, a large amount of standard items, and some foods taken away or new ones introduced, every day at home we were dreaming of our dear favorites and excited for new treats, counting down to our annual Boma extravaganzas!

Now, the Boma of yore is a memory! Lol. I almost feel it a betrayal to say that! :eek::laughing: Many of the items (pap and chakalaka, the cold salads, some rices) are still delicious, so here’s what’s not:

1. I agree with the PPs about the “dumbing down” of the flavor profiles and ethnic-ness. Many dishes advertised as “ spiced with (insert name)” are now completely undectable in that flavor.

2. The vegetarian soups are usually lackluster or inedible. Harira soup with so much overpowering cinnamon dumped in was my recent experience. The butternutsquash soup is nice but I’m hoping for chunkier options.

3. The quality of hot vegetarian main items is uninspiring. My last few trips it has been under cooked and underspiced cabbage or asparagus with little creativity in the other ingredients. I hope for more substantial items as well.

I will still go back, because I love the atmosphere, and many of the standard salads and dips are always delicious. I also want to see if any good changes have been made for my tastes. It just won’t be every trip, at least for now. I hope my input helps anyone. :)

We've been to Boma for dinner on every Disney trip, but I've become increasingly disappointed with it recently. I feel like the variety has decreased and the interesting-ness of the food has been "dumbed-down" over the years. Less intriguing dishes, fewer ethnic options... I don't mean to complain- the food we had this time was indeed tasty- but I feel like it's lost its oomph. Of course there's the old stand-bys like their Mulligatawny Soup and the Watermelon Rind Salad, but there was no red meat at the carving station this time... weird. Anyone feeling the same way or have some insight?

I went to Boma 2-3 times/year starting the year it opened, but my last time was 3 years ago.

They opened with a smoked prime rib that was to DIE for! Now it is strip loin, a leaner much less flavorful and tougher cut.

They used to have a smoked tomato soup that was OUTSTANDING. No longer. I asked and the response was that it was "too labor intensive to prepare."

And the list goes on.... last time I was there it was $42/person without alcohol or tip.....

I find myself agreeing with JennyDrake and loveWDWalways. Though I'm not vegetarian, I was vegetarian for about 12 years and I often still prefer the vegetarian options, but there were no vegetarian soups when I was there. I remember the smoked tomato soup! I loved it- I thought I stopped seeing it because we kept happening to miss it on the rotating menu. Too much work to prepare though? That doesn't seem very Disney-like to me... I used to go for the unique and complex flavors. I love tasting dishes where it's difficult to pick out a strong, forward spice because the spice mix used is so diverse and complex. Such is not the case with Boma anymore- very either cinnamon or curry-heavy.

Maybe I'll give it a few years and try it again, see if my views change...

The smoked tomato soup is one I have never seen there. It may have been replaced, like my beloved mushroom soup. A cast member told me that the mushroom soup was not popular enough with guests, and had been taken off the menu a few years ago. I too thought I was not going on the right days and the rotating menu just didn't feature it on that particular day.

Their curry pasta salad is one dish that works with the abundance of curry powder, probably because of the mayonnaise and sugar to tone it down just enough. It is always delicious and I recommend all Boma newcomers to try it!! :thumbsup2

Sanaa’s paneer curry is another one with too much of something ... I think it may have been ginger garlic paste.

We ate there two years ago and thought it was just "meh." But that meal was also when I realized I absolutely do not like buffets, especially for dinner. I just hate having to get up an wait in line to get my food. There wasn't any thing bad about the food, but it wasn't memorable. Sanaa, on the other hand, I LOVED.

Their curry pasta salad is one dish that works with the abundance of curry powder, probably because of the mayonnaise and sugar to tone it down just enough. It is always delicious and I recommend all Boma newcomers to try it!! :thumbsup2

I have DREAMS about their curry pasta salad! ::yes:: One thing I will make at home on a regular basis!

The chicken & Corn chowder and the mushroom soup are the things I still dream about.

I have DREAMS about their curry pasta salad! ::yes:: One thing I will make at home on a regular basis!

A taste of Boma at home! That’s a delicious recipe to have in the regular rotation. I think it would taste nice with some spiciness for a new variation once in a while too.

We've been to Boma for dinner on every Disney trip, but I've become increasingly disappointed with it recently. I feel like the variety has decreased and the interesting-ness of the food has been "dumbed-down" over the years. Less intriguing dishes, fewer ethnic options... I don't mean to complain- the food we had this time was indeed tasty- but I feel like it's lost its oomph. Of course there's the old stand-bys like their Mulligatawny Soup and the Watermelon Rind Salad, but there was no red meat at the carving station this time... weird. Anyone feeling the same way or have some insight?
We were there this past June and completely agree with you. We will not be back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!