Book recommendation...

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
So, you need to have a lot of time to read this but Hawaii by James Michener is a very interesting read. You learn a lot about how the islands were formed and settled. You can see the various influences on Hawaiian life when you visit there today.

I agree. While most of the names have been changed, it is historical fiction, the general history of the island is all accurate. I read it before we moved here. I want to reread it again after living here for a few years to see what I recognize now.

I have been wanting to read this, but Michener's family won't release them in electronic form. I really hate to waste the trees, and holding a large book like that can be hard on my wrists. Someday, I will read it though. Here are some Hawaii books that I have enjoyed.

Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen
Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell

Molokai is also an interesting work of historical fiction that takes place around 1900 in Hawaii
my just son went to moloka'i for a service project with school working in the settlement in kalaupapa. I'm going to read this one for sure. Such a sad and painful history.

The Girl From Everywhere - popped into my head for some reason this weekend and I wanted to add it to our mini list of Hawaii based books.

Most of the book takes place in Hawaii right around the time that the Hawaiian rulers were overthrown by Americans. Clearly fictionalized (time travel!) but a fun read. It’s YA fiction.

I also liked Honolulu: A Novel by Alan Brennert and Shark Dialogues by Kiana Davenport. Both were great beach reading while in Hawaii!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!