Booking one person in a room with ddp, and adding another at check in

tinkerpea

DIS Veteran
Hi we was going to book at last min trip, I'm not sure my husband will make all the dates, in the trip.
If I book a room and book the deluxe dining plan, can my husband then share the credits left over when he checks in? As that would give us both enough credits each.

There isn't any point to me booking two normal ddp for whole stay if he is not there.they won't get used.
But if he then can make the whole trip, can i add him at check in? And just keep the one deluxe ddp.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Hi we was going to book at last min trip, I'm not sure my husband will make all the dates, in the trip.
If I book a room and book the deluxe dining plan, can my husband then share the credits left over when he checks in? As that would give us both enough credits each.

There isn't any point to me booking two normal ddp for whole stay if he is not there.they won't get used.
But if he then can make the whole trip, can i add him at check in? And just keep the one deluxe ddp.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

While I think you can do this, one problem you may have is the number of people on your ADRs. You'll want to include him in the number since trying to add a person last minute to an ADR can be difficult, but showing up with less people is not a problem. So when you go to make your ADRs, you may need to wait until 180 days from your last day since he won't be on the reservation. I could be wrong about that; I just don't know if you can make ADRs for more people than are registered at 180 days.

You also won't be able to include him on FP+ at 60 days.

While I think you can do this, one problem you may have is the number of people on your ADRs. You'll want to include him in the number since trying to add a person last minute to an ADR can be difficult, but showing up with less people is not a problem. So when you go to make your ADRs, you may need to wait until 180 days from your last day since he won't be on the reservation. I could be wrong about that; I just don't know if you can make ADRs for more people than are registered at 180 days.

You can make ADRs for as many people as you want at 180+10 onsite.

If your true worry is too much food, there is more food on a 'one person" DXDP than there is on a "two person" DDP.

If you're really asking a different question in a roundabout way, then I believe you can do it.

The biggest issue with that plan, however, is he might not be able to use DME to/from the airport...if needed.

We go in April and I'll book last minute meals, I've never found a problem just booking the wk before for TS places we want to eat, we've been so many times that there is no must do's for us..so I don't think that part will be am issue.

He can fast passes at 30 days, in all honesty we've just done 3wks there we came back 3rd Jan, this trip will be pretty go with the flow.

If your true worry is too much food, there is more food on a 'one person" DXDP than there is on a "two person" DDP.

If you're really asking a different question in a roundabout way, then I believe you can do it.

The biggest issue with that plan, however, is he might not be able to use DME to/from the airport...if needed.

I'll be driving as I'm doing few days at universal, first so I'll get him from the airport.

It's not so much that it's too much food, as there is no point in me buying two ddp plans if he isn't there the first 3 days. That's 3 days of wasted money as I'm buying the ddp.. as the deluxe plan gives 3 table service a day and 2 snacks then when he arrives there would be plenty for him to share,
My concern is more that if he is able to do the whole trip ( he is military and has his pre deployment mandatory training in March) but more often then not it gets put back and may finish a few days after I arrive, as were from the UK I can't afford to lose two flights but they will cover changes on his due to military operations.
Then will I lose the ddp due to him making the whole trip? Or would we be made to get another deluxe ddp..if that's the case then I'll just get two normal ddp.

as long as you have a resort reservation, you can make ADRs using the 180 + 10 for any number of guests you wish. You can add him and then either remove him or show up without him (be sure to remove him if you are talking about a prepaid reservation). You do not have to wait to make ADRs at all.

The person you add at the front desk will not be a part of your package and will not have a dining plan.

The only other issue I have with your question is that it appears you are from the UK. UK packages are often different from US packages so you might want to ask on the UK board also.

as long as you have a resort reservation, you can make ADRs using the 180 + 10 for any number of guests you wish. You can add him and then either remove him or show up without him (be sure to remove him if you are talking about a prepaid reservation). You do not have to wait to make ADRs at all.

The person you add at the front desk will not be a part of your package and will not have a dining plan.

The only other issue I have with your question is that it appears you are from the UK. UK packages are often different from US packages so you might want to ask on the UK board also.

It will be a US booking.
I know the person won't have dining plan if I add him at check in, that's my whole question.
That I want him to be able to share my credits as he won't have dining plan. And I'm just wanting to make sure that won't be an issue, as I know it used to be that everyone in the room had to be on the same plan, before they allowed sharing with those not on the plan..

It will be a US booking.
I know the person won't have dining plan if I add him at check in, that's my whole question.
That I want him to be able to share my credits as he won't have dining plan. And I'm just wanting to make sure that won't be an issue, as I know it used to be that everyone in the room had to be on the same plan, before they allowed sharing with those not on the plan..
I am 99% positive that he will not be made to buy a dining plan upon check in because you have to add it at least 3 days before you arrive in order to have it at all - they can't add it at the desk because it's not a hotel service. They'll fix problems, but they can't add it.

I am 99% positive that he will not be made to buy a dining plan upon check in because you have to add it at least 3 days before you arrive in order to have it at all - they can't add it at the desk because it's not a hotel service. They'll fix problems, but they can't add it.
Policy says they can’t add it, but I’ve personally witnessed it added at the front desk on check-in day.

He can fast passes at 30 days, in all honesty we've just done 3wks there we came back 3rd Jan, this trip will be pretty go with the flow.
Fast passes aren’t a problem. You can book for everyone in your MDE at 60 days.

Fast passes aren’t a problem. You can book for everyone in your MDE at 60 days.

Really? So I'll be able to make fast pass selection for him,at 60 days with mine? even though he won't be in the reservation yet? He will have an Ap linked so tickets isn't a problem

Really? So I'll be able to make fast pass selection for him,at 60 days with mine? even though he won't be in the reservation yet? He will have an Ap linked so tickets isn't a problem
Yes -just be sure he's linked in the friends & family of the MDE with your reservation and you can book for him too.

We stayed at the Beach Club over the holidays and we could not add anyone at check in. We had the deluxe dining plan for two people and when we tried to add our daughter to the room they said absolutely "NO"
They said they could have done it if we did not have the dining plan but because we had the dining plan there was no way to add people to the room even though the room could fit 5 people. My daughter stayed anyways. She could not use the pool or get extra magic hours but that was ok we never use those during the winter holidays.

We stayed at the Beach Club over the holidays and we could not add anyone at check in. We had the deluxe dining plan for two people and when we tried to add our daughter to the room they said absolutely "NO"
They said they could have done it if we did not have the dining plan but because we had the dining plan there was no way to add people to the room even though the room could fit 5 people. My daughter stayed anyways. She could not use the pool or get extra magic hours but that was ok we never use those during the winter holidays.

Really? This wouldn't work for us if that's the case, as obviously we want to use the pool and the emh.
Your the only person I have come across that has said I don't be able to check him In, I think I'm going to call up disney directly and ask. If this is the case then we just won't get the ddp

Actually thinking about it, they can add him as a day guest for the pool, and they only scan one magic band in your party for EMH so I don't think they will be a problem.

I had heard of other people doing this but when I tried it over the holidays they said no. It might be just the beach club but I did ask twice and was told both times no.
Like I said it did not make a huge difference to us because we did not use the pool or extra magic hours.

I would definitely call to confirm, that doesn't seem right. I spoke with a CM yesterday because we are in a similar situation. I am staying at POR fro about a week with my daughter on the dining plan. My husband is joining us at the end of the week, but only for 2 nights. The CM suggested that I I don't add him to the reservation, because then he'd be on the dining plan for the length of stay, even though he won't be there to use it. She said to let them know at the front desk, and they will add him as a day guest (and we will pay OOP for his food/drinks).

Perhaps there is a difference between asking for someone to be added to a reservation like I tried to do and asking if someone can be a "day guest"

To update, I just returned home. My daughter and I (she's a Disney adult, but not a true adult) stayed 5 nights with the dining plan. My husband was able to join us for 2 nights in the middle, so we did not want to put him on the DP for food he would not get to eat. The concierge/Guest Service desk said they absolutely could not add him to our reservation, they could only add him to the system as a "day guest". They were able to get him on MEX and he could use the pool, but the CM was adamant that he could not partake in Magic Hours. He could not use his MB for the room, he was issued a plastic card for room entry, and used his MB for tickets. We didn't end up utilizing MH while he was there, and I suppose he could have just used one my extra ones during MH in the parks (which he also used for food and room charging).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!