Boondocking to Fort on I-75

Part-Time Paradise

Is it camping season yet?
Hello all,

I've scrubbed around the forum making sure I'm not duplicate posting, if a place exists for these questions...please promptly beat me about the head and arms.

On day 2 of our drive down will be from the Land Between the Lakes area and I'd like to get somewhere between Macon, GA and Valdosta, GA. Does anyone have any good spots they boondock / dry camp in this area? I see a bunch of decent looking campsites, but free is better...especially because there is a mouse a few miles south that has two months' worth of RV trailer payments locked up.

I'd be more interested with a wildlife mgmt area or a city park than a WM parking lot (lots of conflicting reviews on WMs, Cracker Barrels, etc in this stretch if they'll let you overnight park), but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know of any free spots, sorry. We are stopping in Georgia on our way down I-75 from Cincinnati and are staying at a campground called Twin Oaks. It is pull through sites and $40 for the night. We've stayed there before and liked it, no highway noise but only a few minutes off the highway and easy to get to.

I don't know of any free spots, sorry. We are stopping in Georgia on our way down I-75 from Cincinnati and are staying at a campground called Twin Oaks. It is pull through sites and $40 for the night. We've stayed there before and liked it, no highway noise but only a few minutes off the highway and easy to get to.

Thanks, that one is on the list of possibilities. Nice to have first-hand experience

I’ve stayed at Eagles Roost at Ga. Exit 3 just south of Valdosta. Easy on and off, near discount gas station. Nice place with great live oak trees. 93042C88-494F-43DE-983C-6768D3408BBF.jpeg

I’ve stayed at Eagles Roost at Ga. Exit 3 just south of Valdosta. Easy on and off, near discount gas station. Nice place with great live oak trees.

Thanks for the first hand feedback. The rates look fairly reasonable.

Anyone have experience with Killebrew Park outside of Warwick, GA?

We also stayed in Eagles Roost on our way down in Oct. We were pretty happy with it, especially for a just one night place to stop. There is also a restaurant that has RV parking that I wanted to stay at: https://www.carrollssausage.com/georgia-peanut-RV-park-full-hookups.html but I got out voted. It's looked pretty cool to me.

I've seen this sausage store before. I like the idea of gourmet pork products. Paying $30 for basically a parking lot makes me a bit sad...but bacon 🤔

I've seen this sausage store before. I like the idea of gourmet pork products. Paying $30 for basically a parking lot makes me a bit sad...but bacon 🤔

I know but when we drove by we noticed that the lot was basically empty so you would have your choice of site and they do have full hookups. That was important for us at the time since it was mid-Oct. and not using AC was not an option. I got voted down for the same reason you are sad - basically a parking lot but since it was just for one night I was going for the story of staying at a pork store.

Their website says you get a $10 voucher to use on said bacon. So the parking is kinda/sorta only $20 night.

Free sites at Osceola State Forest here in Lake City, FL, but too much of a drive from the interstate to make it worth it in my opinion. We have a few inexpensive state parks not far off 75 near here (northern FL.) Don't usually need reservations for these, but can never be too careful with FL state parks. O'Leno State Park, Stephen Foster State Park, and Paynes Prairie by Gainesville.

We are doing this in September. We are staying at Stephen Foster State Park near I-10 in North Florida. I wanted to have a super short drive to get to FW as early as possible. We looked it over on a trip down in November. There is a gas station where we can pull the camper through at that exit as well.

I've read up on the sausage store and the reviews are pretty positive. My wife put in a vote for A/C for the night. I've told her we're going to lose $$ on pork products and she said it could be dinner for the night. Looks like we have a winner.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

We are doing this in September. We are staying at Stephen Foster State Park near I-10 in North Florida. I wanted to have a super short drive to get to FW as early as possible. We looked it over on a trip down in November. There is a gas station where we can pull the camper through at that exit as well.

Mom24Princesses, Stephen Foster State Park is a great place to stay. If you get there early enough, take a tour of the Stephen Foster Museum. What dates are ya'll doing the Fort in Sept.? We will be there in Sept. also … Sept. 13 -19

Mom24Princesses, Stephen Foster State Park is a great place to stay. If you get there early enough, take a tour of the Stephen Foster Museum. What dates are ya'll doing the Fort in Sept.? We will be there in Sept. also … Sept. 13 -19
Sept 13-23.

I've read up on the sausage store and the reviews are pretty positive. My wife put in a vote for A/C for the night. I've told her we're going to lose $$ on pork products and she said it could be dinner for the night. Looks like we have a winner.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Come back and let us know how it goes. As I said, I really wanted to say there but got voted down in favor of Eagles Roost. Maybe next time.

Anyone ever park at a Walmart for the night? Have heard you can park and sleep for the night for free

But generally not permitted at any WM in the Central Florida area.

Like Uncledave54 says, though, you can always check first. But this has been pretty fleshed out over the years.

Bama Ed

Anyone ever park at a Walmart for the night? Have heard you can park and sleep for the night for free
Used to be very open and friendly for overnights, however in the Florida region a lot of the WMs have stopped allowing this due to mass excess of this happening. I agree with calling ahead and checking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter