• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boot Cast at Disney

pennyplanner

DIS Veteran
First let me say, I am awed and amazed at all the wonderful people who cope with disabled family members and disabilities themselves every day and especially while touring at WDW!

I will be wearing a boot cast for the Thanksgiving holidays and am filled with trepidation. Coward that I am. :guilty: I anticipate walking for the morning, icing at our afternoon break, but using a rented wheelchair at night.

I feel awkward and a bit of a fraud although I really do need to use the chair at night.

I am hoping to find CMs friendly and helpful if I need assistance. My teen DSs will be my drivers. A scary thought in and of itself! ;)

Any tips for me, (other than picking up a guide at the parks)?

--Thanks,
penny
:goodvibes

First, welcome to disABILITIES. :wave:
Second, send that "fraud" thought out of your head. It is true that you are not permanently disabled, but you are temporarily disabled and in need of some assistance.
Third, if you haven't already looked at the disABILITIES FAQS thread, I'd suggest you check it out. You can find a link there to the official WDW Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities (the electronic version of the ones you can find in the parks).
If the idea of being pushed around by your kids is too scary, you might want to look into renting an ECV. There is info in the FAQs.

Hope you have a great trip.

Thanks so much SueM! I do need to banish the fraud thought. I am not myself and the sooner I accept it the better off I will be. For all I know, I will permanently be in the chair once I get there.

As for me driving an EVC...now that is a really scary thought! :goodvibes

I will check out the FAQ. Thank you again for your "cuff to the head!"

--penny

Penny -

Have a great trip. I had a walking boot on (due to ankle/tendon problems)during a trip in the spring of '99. First night there -- I tried hoofing it.... after that - we picked up a wheelchair everyday and my neices took turns pushing it. I did walk a bit around MGM since it's a smaller park .... but by nightfall I was exhausted and in pain.

Are you staying on site or driving in ?

What you might do is go to a local large supermarket, or a WalMart or equal. They have ECVs there that can be used for shopping. That will give you an opportunity to practice and sort of familiarize you with them. Then consider the store ECVs are much clumsyer than the Disney ones, and the off-site rentals are much better than the Disney ones, so if you can do one in a store you should have no problem with a rental.

Cheshire Figment!
Very smart idea. I am still scared of the idea though!

DisneyElf,
I am staying on site at the WL.

--penny

SueM,
Would you reccomend stopping and getting a GAC? I'm not sure if I really need it.

I am trying to anticipate what it would be like approaching a ride using a wheelchair and thinking it through. I just have not payed attention enough to know if I follow the crowd or have to enter in a special spot. I suppose each ride is different.

Does the Disney publication have individual ride instructions? Can you tell I'm a planner??? ;)

Thanks again,
penny

pennyplanner said:
SueM,
Would you reccomend stopping and getting a GAC? I'm not sure if I really need it.

I am trying to anticipate what it would be like approaching a ride using a wheelchair and thinking it through. I just have not payed attention enough to know if I follow the crowd or have to enter in a special spot. I suppose each ride is different.

Does the Disney publication have individual ride instructions? Can you tell I'm a planner??? ;)

Thanks again,
penny
If you are using a wheelchair or ECV, you will not need a GAC to use the wheelchair accessible areas. The GAC is more for invisible needs. The CM at the entrance or nearer to boarding will see that you have a wheelchair and tell you where to go - if it's different at all.
In most cases, the wheelchair line is the regular line and if there is a need for wheelchair boarding to be at a different place than the regular boarding area, they usually have a well marked wheelchair gate close to the regular boarding area (marked with the wheelchair symbol) and there is usually a CM around there. Maybe not right by the gate, but close by.

For AK and the Studio, they have Mainstream lines, which means guests using wheelchairs/ECVs wait in the regular line with everyone else. For those attractions, just get into the regular line and look for a CM farther in the line if there wasn't one at the entrance. MK and Epcot are different because they are older and less accessible. They have more attractions that were not able to be made accessible. There is a list in the GUidebook of Mainstream lines for that park - (a link to the Guidebooks is in the disABILITIES FAQs thread). For the Mainstream ones, you can just get into the regular line if you don't see the CM. For the others, ask the CM - those attractions usually have a CM at the entrance to direct people.

The Disney Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities doesn't give a lot of detail, but between that and the thread about moving walkway rides that there's a link to on the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you should be able to get an idea. Also, things change a little bit depending on how busy the attraction is and how well staffed it is. If you come up with a wheelchair and they have lots of people with special needs already waiting, they may give you a slip with a time on it and have you come back. Occasionally, they are ready for someone with special needs right when you drive up and will take you right away (there are staffing things that are invisible to us - like right now they have extra staff, but in 20 minutes they will be down one CM for lunch or something).

The park maps hae a little icon by each ride that tell how accessible the attraction is. The ones with a little wheelchair icon are fully accessible and someone who can't get out of their wheelchair/ECV will be able to experience it without getting out.
Some have an icon of a person getting out of the wheelchair - that means you have to get out of the wheelchair/ECV and board a ride car. (For you, that means you can bring the wheelchair/ECV to the boarding area and get out there. The wheelchair/ECV will be waiting at the sma eplace for you when you are finished).
A few have an icon of a stick person getting out of an ECV and into a wheelchair - that means the attraction is accessible for wheelchairs, but not ECVs. If that "ECV to wheelchair" icon is followed by a stick person getting out of the wheelchair, it means you will have to board a ride car.

SueM,

You are a dream! Thanks for all the info. My breathing has slowed to a normal pace. ;)

I will keep reading whenever I get a chance today. I just feel so much better being prepared when encountering a new scenario and this is certainly new! I hate to think I will slow my DSs down being in the chair. And yet, I think this experience will make them see the world through very different eyes. Does that sound corny? Awareness is half the battle.

Thanks again and again and... :rotfl:

--penny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter