Bringing a fold-up chair into the parks

ptlohmysoul

DIS Veteran
Members of our party do not have mobility issues, just problems standing for long periods of time. Is it ok to bring a fold-up chair with us for sitting waiting for parades, fireworks, or even if stuck in an attraction line for a while? Anyone that can direct us to specific WDW rules regarding this? I can see sitting on the ground as an alternative for younger adults, but for the elderly?

Members of our party do not have mobility issues, just problems standing for long periods of time. Is it ok to bring a fold-up chair with us for sitting waiting for parades, fireworks, or even if stuck in an attraction line for a while? Anyone that can direct us to specific WDW rules regarding this? I can see sitting on the ground as an alternative for younger adults, but for the elderly?

Fold up chairs are prohibited in the parks. They are listed about half way through the list at this link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/restricted-personal-items/

I've heard of people using canes which have a fold down seat attached (or something like that, I'm not familiar with them) or a rollator which could be used as a seat.

Attraction lines are very rarely completely stopped enough to sit down.

Thanks! So my mom was considering getting an ECV, and we were looking at a fold-up chair as an alternative. A rollator wouldn't fit what she needs. A regular wheelchair might work, but might be just as much of a pain pushing around :(. I'll look at the canes. Any other suggestions?

If you decide on the cane, the user needs to straddle the seat with the cane part in front of them, between the legs. The seats are small, and the device probably has a weight limit.

Curious what the reason is that a rollators won't work - but not asking you to provide the information! - Maybe consider something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BA5W0U/ref=twister_B007LGVMF8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 which can be used as either. There are others, but this one looks best because when used as a wheelchair, the user is facing forward. The others appear to only face in one direction.

If you decide on the cane, the user needs to straddle the seat with the cane part in front of them, between the legs. The seats are small, and the device probably has a weight limit.

Curious what the reason is that a rollators won't work - but not asking you to provide the information! - Maybe consider something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BA5W0U/ref=twister_B007LGVMF8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 which can be used as either. There are others, but this one looks best because when used as a wheelchair, the user is facing forward. The others appear to only face in one direction.

Just looking at the rollator, it looks like it's more trouble than it's worth. Why not just use a wheelchair? Is it that much easier to cart when not using it?

Either way, I'll give my mom all the info. so she can decide what's best for her situation. An ECV has to be charged and either would have to go in and out of her vehicle, since she's staying off-site.

I have seen CM ask people not to sit in the cain sets and I have seen one person fall out and break there arm so I would be very careful if going this way.

most lines at Disney is slow moving but moving and you can park a wheel chair any where and when there is a parade or fireworks you can use it then.

I have seen CM ask people not to sit in the cain sets and I have seen one person fall out and break there arm so I would be very careful if going this way.

most lines at Disney is slow moving but moving and you can park a wheel chair any where and when there is a parade or fireworks you can use it then.

Yea, just looking at the pictures -they don't look very sturdy. Probably a wheel chair will be the best bet, parking it until we need it, just like a stroller. Can those be parked at the stroller parking areas or do they need to be parked at special areas. The wheel chair sounds like the best thing for when we have to be in a long line that barely moves, but does move, too. An ECV probably requires a lot of practice to drive it easily.

Yea, just looking at the pictures -they don't look very sturdy. Probably a wheel chair will be the best bet, parking it until we need it, just like a stroller. Can those be parked at the stroller parking areas or do they need to be parked at special areas. The wheel chair sounds like the best thing for when we have to be in a long line that barely moves, but does move, too. An ECV probably requires a lot of practice to drive it easily.
some place have places for wheel chair ECV parking some do not you can ask a CM where you can park it in each land or area you are in they should know or you could just push it with you.

Wheel chairs generally park with strollers except in MK in Tomorrowland. They have a parking lot under the rocket rides there.

ECVs are not that hard to drive but do have a learning curve and can be stressful as other guests walk into you. The parks run out of them but there are outside vendors you can rent from. Yes, they disassemble for transport but can be heavy to left if she is alone with her car. They must be charged each night.

If you rent a wheelchair, bring along a colorful bandana, or a brightly colored length of grosgrain ribbon to tie on one of the handlebars - it will help your rental to stand out in a sea of similar chairs! :)

My mom uses a rollerator. Her's has a cup holder and a place to stash her purse. It also has a compartment under the seat where she can stash a lightweight jacket and collapsible hat since she's susceptible to skin cancer. It has hand brakes as well. It is easy to collapse so she can put in her car's trunk and the seat is comfy for short times. She used to use a cane and tried a traditional walker but prefers the versatility of the rollerator now. If she's going somewhere where she will be moving in tighter quarters for part of the time she brings a telescoping cane that she stashes in her rollerator.

Just looking at the rollator, it looks like it's more trouble than it's worth. Why not just use a wheelchair? Is it that much easier to cart when not using it?
Most people use rollators that are more like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medica...id=1497931175&sr=1-2&keywords=rollator+walker
If the person wants to walk, it's much easier to use one of those than push a wheelchair.
Rollators are usually lighter weight than wheelchairs and can be folded flat.
An ECV does take practice and the person driving it needs to be watching all the time - people dart out in front of you without warning very frequently

Hi! I have done something similar with a wheelchair! They can be parked at stroller parking anywhere and we also "hid" them out of the way folded up behind trash cans. It was quite easy and really helped when I needed it!

My mom was injured and could walk some, but could not stand for very long. They used to rent a wheelchair and push it empty a lot of the time. Then she would sit whenever she wanted. Sometimes she would park it and walk around an area. You can do something similar...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!