Bringing snacks from home

ilovetotravel1977

DIS Veteran
Just curious if people ever pack snacks in their checked luggage if they won't be going to a grocery store while at WDW resorts? Since we are taking MDE to Pop, we won't have this luxury. I've read Pop has cases of bottled water, so that is good to know we can buy those there.

I was really trying not to buy a refillable cup, but I think I might have to in order to get my pop fill.

Im from Ireland and I go to Disneyland California every year. I always take candy and chocolate from home as I dont like American candy and chocolate.

On my last trip to Disneyland Paris I also took a few 500ml bottle of cola with me, as in my local grocery store they cost €1.30 but in Disneyland Paris the same bottle of cola costs €3.00

I packed some snacks that kiddo prefers in my checked bag in August. I also normally pack a few things in carryon both for the flight and for after. Like granola bars and chips, and real Smarties. I also brought leftover groceries home when we apparently ordered too much through grocery delivery. Nothing fruit.

I packed some snacks that kiddo prefers in my checked bag in August. I also normally pack a few things in carryon both for the flight and for after. Like granola bars and chips, and real Smarties. I also brought leftover groceries home when we apparently ordered too much through grocery delivery. Nothing fruit.

I was thinking of the grocery delivery, but I just don't want to have to spend $50+ US dollars.

I was thinking of the grocery delivery, but I just don't want to have to spend $50+ US dollars.

I don't think it was worth it for us. My son is very picky so it seemed quite wasteful. All I really needed was a case of water. I would probably just pack a box of cereal, or those little boxes in a variety of types, some granola bars and then pick up some milk and juice for kiddo, and get the free ice water at the parks. The room it takes up in the suitcase going down, will be filled by all the stuff we buy and come home with :)

I have brought stuff all the time. DH is a creature of habit and only has peanut butter and jelly on toast for breakfast. He brings a loaf of bread and pb&j in his luggage every trip. When my kids were smaller I would bring instant oatmeal and their fave snacks.

Im from Ireland and I go to Disneyland California every year. I always take candy and chocolate from home as I dont like American candy and chocolate.

On my last trip to Disneyland Paris I also took a few 500ml bottle of cola with me, as in my local grocery store they cost €1.30 but in Disneyland Paris the same bottle of cola costs €3.00
OMG - €1.30 is US$1.60 a bottle. At the grocery store!
I pay C$0.33/355ml can (that's US$0.27, or €0.21 per can). 710 ml pet bottles in 6-packs are C$0.61 ea. at the grocery here - 500ml isn't a common format. I heard there were sugar taxes in Europe, but that is nuts!

Yes. When we flew southwest out of the USA we packed a lot of stuff since we had two free bags and didn't need to worry about crossing border with certain foods (Like oranges).

The last trip from Canada I packed some breakfast stuff like cereal, granola/energy bars, trail mix, bagels. In my carry-on I packed some fresh stuff like apples and carrots, celery, cheese. I always pack home made muffins or banana bread. That's just a staple trip food in our family. Lol

We are heading to POP in 2 weeks. We will be bringing oatmeal, cookies(need the pc chunks), and that is about it. We are fine with the tap water there and dont always have that fix for pop thankfully. If your heading there after us, I will try to look and see about the cases of water.

ALWAYS! This goes for any trip, anywhere, the Duck gets hangry and hubby don't like that :P
Things that are always in the suitcase

• microwave popcorn, all of the food courts have microwaves
  • pringles
  • snack mixes
  • small cutting board and small paring knife in a carrying case
What we buy when we get wherever we are going
  • bottled water -- hubby can't drink tap water so we will buy a large bottle/jug or a case if available
  • milk for me -- nice that all the rooms now have at least a small fridge
  • a loaf of bread, jar of PB and some cheese
  • a few honey/jam packets from the condiment section
All kidding aside, I have severe gastritis and if the tummy gets empty i can run into some nasty trouble so i have to have nibbles on hand. Those are all things that i can find in most hotels, drug stores, and Disney is bonus in that they have food courts/gift shops that carry these things. HUGE bonus points if you take the time to pop into one of the stores at any of the DVC resorts because they expect people to want some basics handy.

I always packed some chocolate for DS. We aren’t huge on sweets at home, but on vacation extra treats are always welcome. I bring chocolate bars from home because US chocolate is not the same as Canadian chocolate - it kinda has a weird taste and texture. The first time DS tried a US chocolate bar he didn’t like it at all. He ate the whole thing- he was 8, of course he ate it! But every trip after I always brought him treats from home.

We are heading to POP in 2 weeks. We will be bringing oatmeal, cookies(need the pc chunks), and that is about it. We are fine with the tap water there and dont always have that fix for pop thankfully. If your heading there after us, I will try to look and see about the cases of water.

We will be there starting Feb 1, so that would be great. Thanks!

I always packed some chocolate for DS. We aren’t huge on sweets at home, but on vacation extra treats are always welcome. I bring chocolate bars from home because US chocolate is not the same as Canadian chocolate - it kinda has a weird taste and texture. The first time DS tried a US chocolate bar he didn’t like it at all. He ate the whole thing- he was 8, of course he ate it! But every trip after I always brought him treats from home.

Like your comment re: taste of US Chocolate ... I always thought so but also thought that maybe I was just being too picky! :-)

Last trip was my mom, sister and I, my 4 kids and 4 nieces and a nephew. Because of family situations, my mom and I picked up a lot of the tab. We did that trip on the cheap! lol
We flew Southwest out of buffalo, and with 2 checked bags available to each of us, we took a couple full of food. Cereal, microwave popcorn, granola bars, oatmeal, crackers, ramen noodles, bagels, peanut butter and jam. I'm sure there was more.
My sister put in a grocery order, so we had fruit and veggies, sliced meats and cheese, milk and yogurt.
Our goal was to eat half of every meal out of the stuff we had with us. It worked out really well. Twice we were able to order pizza and supplement with the veggies from the fridge. We got a lot of crazy looks in the food court at ASMU when we'd pull in with a cooler bag of stuff, whip out our own oatmeal and use the hot water from the urns. lol

In the past I have packed quite a bit of stuff from home.
Some of the things I've packed
pretzels/Ritz crackers
small jar peanut butter/honey/Nutella/Jam
quaker oatmeal packs
tuna
tostitos/Salsa
6 pk of juice
sesame sticks
bagels/English muffins
six pack muffins
apples
My first day there I will pick up some fruit from Starbucks (Disney Springs)--usually bananas and oranges.
I do purchase the Disney mug as I drink enough coffee /Tea to make it worth while.
I have done Garden Grocer before when a large group of us are going but it can be very expensive.
I also purchase a case of water--usually at Old Key West resort.

Hugs Mel

We drive so we always have snacks from home or Target. We also bring our electrical kettle, disposable bowls and spoons to eat instant oatmeal in the room. Saves money AND time as it is much faster to have the kids eat while we get prepared for rope-drop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!