Brunch at the Top - Cali Grill *new updates from 12/11/16 on p.6*

Your pictures are fantastic! This looks like so much fun. I had ruled this out for our next trip but now I'm not so sure.... :)

Can't wait to see the entrees!

That's us in your first pic!!! We are family of 4 with the stroller next to the table. DS is sitting in the high chair with his back to the camera, DD is opposite him facing the camera, DW is wearing the black shirt with her hand near her face, and I'm the underdressed (wore a Mickey t-shirt, DW asked, "Would it have killed you to wear a shirt with a collar?" Lesson learned!) bald guy :headache: who's head is barely visible beyond the lady with the blue shirt.

Who was your waiter/waitress? I don't remember her name, but ours was a woman, blond hair, thin, 40~ish. We thought she was wonderful, knew the menu inside-out, great sense of humor especially with our kids, and never more than a half empty glass. We truly enjoyed our time there from start to finish.

I showed DD8 your photo and she thought is was sooooo cool. Thanks for sharing!

How did your daughter enjoy the brunch? Did you feel like you came at all close to getting your money's worth for her? My next trip will be just me and my son who is also 8, so curious as to your experience if you don't mind sharing :)

How did your daughter enjoy the brunch? Did you feel like you came at all close to getting your money's worth for her? My next trip will be just me and my son who is also 8, so curious as to your experience if you don't mind sharing :)
She really enjoyed it. We still talk about now 2 months later as one of our favorite meals of the whole trip. She was willing to go a little beyond her comfort zone as far as food goes and tried most of the items from the buffet like sushi, deviled eggs, and some of the meats from the charcuterie (the first thing she told her teacher upon returning to school was that she ate ostrich meat on her vacation. LOL) For her entree she chose the pancakes which I believe were pumpkin. All in all she really enjoyed it. Especially the dessert platter (the macaroons were her favorite)

As far as value goes, I feel like it's kind of subjective. We were using Deluxe Dining credits to pay for it so that money was "spent" months before we even got there. I feel like if I was paying out of pocket the bill might have stung a little bit.

After our meal we spent a few minutes outside on the observation decks and it was really fun to see MK from that perspective.

Overall we all really enjoyed it and agreed we would do it again on future trips.

Last edited:
Your pictures are fantastic! This looks like so much fun. I had ruled this out for our next trip but now I'm not so sure.... :)

Can't wait to see the entrees!

Thank you. Entrees are coming up~

It is a big decision given the price esp. with so much to plan and do, so I completely understand your dilemma. My DH enjoys a great sit down meal in Disney and breakfast is one of his favorites, which makes this perfect for us. But we did incorporate dining credits to ease the cost.

*UPDATE*
BRUNCH AT THE TOP - 2ND VISIT
SUN. DEC 11, 2016
11:00 AM
Part III

Entrée Selection

DSC07793_zpsal8j3m5g.jpg

DSC07796_zpslnoti926.jpg

We wanted to try a few different items this time around, plus an old favorite. Once again, we ordered three dishes to share, which were happily provided. Any leftovers were boxed to go. (apparently I don't have a photo of all 3 together. The shrimp arrived a little later)

c9fd0ee8-864a-49df-851c-83ec1738b49a_zps2kgdzclr.jpg

Pan-fried Bell & Evans Organic Chicken Cutlet.....Haricot Verts, Toasted Almonds, Frisee, Buerre Noisette

This was amazing! Hands down, my favorite on the entire menu. It was nothing like I had imagined based on the description. The chef is a genius! If only I could prepare a cutlet like this. OMG!!!

DSC07786_zpsjnghwpxe.jpg

Shrimp and Grits...Gulf White Shrimp with Tillamook Cheddar Grits, Spicy Bacon-Infused Tomato Broth, Espelette-spiced Tomato Ragout

Sadly, this was my least favorite, for reasons I may not do well to explain. There was nothing wrong with this dish at all. Perfectly prepared. Beautifully presented. So please, don't let this stop you from ordering.
But for some reason, it just didn't jive with the overall brunch for me. I think my palette was in full brunch mode at this point and could not switch gears to fully appreciate and enjoy the strength of flavors in a colossal shrimp w/tomato broth so late in the meal. (this was the very last item I tried). My personal feeling is, it does not flow well with the entire menu. It is fresh and not too heavy, and should have paired well with the grits, which are very good. But I really did not care for the dish, and I love all the individual components. IMO something is off here. I'll be curious to hear other reviews.

DSC07790_zpsxvmuzznh.jpg

Grilled Hanger Steak...Two Eggs any style, Chimichurri, Marble Potato Hash, Charred Onion

My DH loves this dish. He ordered the steak medium and eggs over-easy. Excellent as always.

6a7e5d48-d5bf-433c-92a1-38abe408018e_zpsgr0ypaar.jpg

Upon request: Cherrywood Bacon, House Recipe Sausage Patty, and Marble Potato Hash

Last time, we didn't realize this was available, so we made sure to put in a request for the bacon and sausage. As you can see it was a fairly generous helping for 2. The sausage is a house recipe and was delicious, but don't expect a Bob Evans commercial type breakfast sausage. You may be surprised at how different this will be. It's hand made, tender, and seasoned with fresh herbs and ingredients - absent all the commercial byproducts and additives. We loved it!! The bacon was perfect and really good as well. Enjoy!

DSC07782_zpsiftf2zcy.jpg

DSC07787_zps4imbiuqg.jpg

HOMEMADE DESSERT TRAY

caramel crème; white chocolate orange crème; dark chocolate toffee brittle; lemon madeleines; strawberry jam linzer cookies; and caramel and lemon French macarons.

Get this boxed to go if you can't eat it. It will still be delicious a couple days later. I've never had anything taste this light and fresh.

DSC07802_zpsulma2vcx.jpg

DSC07799_zpstuda8zyl.jpg

and that concludes our return visit to Brunch at the Top. Hope everyone enjoys it as much as we do.

Last edited:
@poison ivy LOVED your review!! Chicken cutlets isn't something I would normally order at a very expensive meal - but you sure got me considering it now!

yes. exactly why I didn't choose this entrée the first time around. But I have to say, I will not pass on it if I ever get back there. Even if it's a 1/2 portion, I am putting in an order.
My DH agrees so we're both big fans which is a good sign.

I looked back at an old Did Unplugged review and it was stated that the chicken was the winner of the entrees. I'll be having steak other places and don't really do seafood, I think I'll be choosing the cutlets also. Thanks for the reviews and pics!

yes. exactly why I didn't choose this entrée the first time around. But I have to say, I will not pass on it if I ever get back there. Even if it's a 1/2 portion, I am putting in an order.
My DH agrees so we're both big fans which is a good sign.

I looked back at an old Did Unplugged review and it was stated that the chicken was the winner of the entrees. I'll be having steak other places and don't really do seafood, I think I'll be choosing the cutlets also. Thanks for the reviews and pics!
@poison ivy , could not agree more about the chicken cutlets! They were amazing. Our family together had the chicken, lobster eggs Benedict, and pumpkin pancakes. We all agreed the chicken was the big winner.

@Mom2Stitch , I watched the very same review and that is what persuaded me to try the chicken. Funny thing is, on paper, the chicken dish doesn't really read as an exotic or particularly fancy dish. I think that's why many folks might skip over it. Definitely worth a try IMO.

@poison ivy , could not agree more about the chicken cutlets! They were amazing. Our family together had the chicken, lobster eggs Benedict, and pumpkin pancakes. We all agreed the chicken was the big winner.

Where is this DIS Unplugged podcast?

Here you go. Cali Brunch review starts at 52:45 minutes in.

From 3/22/16, found it via google

thanks for this. I just watched and it was incredibly candid and very similar to our experience. I did not know the eggs benedict initially did not include the English muffin. Glad they made that change. Also, their comments regarding the shrimp and grits - while more in comparison to Narcoosee's, it did seem they did not enjoy that dish very much either.

The one difference was the steak and eggs. Ours were perfect on both occasions. I was sorry to hear their steak was overcooked and not good. We've never tried the brunch at Narcoosee's so I can't compare.

Pancakes are seasonal - sweet potato in March vs blueberry in May and now pumpkin in Dec.

I laughed that they too forgot to photograph the Fregola salad and so far it appears none of us have tried the frittata. OMG I'll have to go back!?!?

It was surreal to see such similarities. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
@poison ivy I definitely think you should take one for the team and go back to try the frittata :)

we had the frittata (and i unfortunately can't find a photo of it!), but weren't thrilled with it. the "stuff" to eggs ratio was just off - not enough eggs to hold it all together. the balance of flavors just didn't work for us, and the consistency was kind of crumbly.

we also had the chicken and agree that was the clear winner. i rarely order chicken when out but plan to get this when we return in april.

So impressed with the rave reviews for what looks like a simple basic chicken cutlet. Will definitely order this when we go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter