Budget android tablet - mostly to download Disney+ movies?

Mrs. Bradbury

It will ALWAYS be the PeopleMover!
I have an Amazon Fire tablet (7) that is old with slow response time, but gets the job done when we need it. Until now. We're going to WDW in May, driving, with our 4 year old grandson and I was going to download some Disney+ movies to the micro SD card for the trip. Except I can't! I think it's an Amazon thing instead of a Disney+ thing; I can download Amazon's content to the SD card all day long, but ONLY Amazon/Prime content. Apparently it is across all Fire products, from what I can find on Reddit.

So, since the tablet is a grandpa at this point anyway, I'm considering buying a new non-Amazon android tablet. It would have to have a micro SD slot, but other than that, I'm open to suggestions for one that's in the less than $150 range. We don't do social media, and I read books on my Kindle Paperwhite, so really all we want is for something to play saved movies and possibly stream Disney+ for my grandson when he visits, and maybe run a few streaming apps like Netflix and HBO when my husband and I travel. We don't use a tablet for anything in our day-to-day life.

Or maybe I'm an idiot and you guys will tell me a work-around I haven't been able to find for the Fire 7 tablet I've got. Thanks!

We have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A for kid 1, and I just bought another one for kid 2 yesterday. They list at $150 I think, but right now they are on sale at Costco for $110. Kid 1 uses it for Duolingo and to stream prime/netflix, and it's perfectly fine. I wouldn't try to use it for fancy gaming (OK for Candy Crush-type games, though).

Disclaimer- I haven't actually tried to download from Disney+, so you'd want to google to make sure.

We have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A for kid 1, and I just bought another one for kid 2 yesterday. They list at $150 I think, but right now they are on sale at Costco for $110. Kid 1 uses it for Duolingo and to stream prime/netflix, and it's perfectly fine. I wouldn't try to use it for fancy gaming (OK for Candy Crush-type games, though).

Disclaimer- I haven't actually tried to download from Disney+, so you'd want to google to make sure.

I read reviews of those this morning and it seems to be exactly as you say - a good basic tablet for kids. I didn't know about Costco though, that's a good deal! Thanks!

We dont have a tablet but we got a lg phone from walmart straight talk a lg rebel. They had it in stock this link https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-LG-Rebel-3-Prepaid-Smartphone-Refurbished/885201771. I paid 19.99 the online store has it for 24.99
We went with a cell phone so it fit in his pocket.
It also has a few games installed to use in lines.
The reason i have issues with there fire tablets is they dont have Google play and i wanted some games that are not in the amazon store.
Disney +, netflix are both in the amazon and google store.
So far its been awesome.

We dont have a tablet but we got a lg phone from walmart straight talk a lg rebel. They had it in stock this link https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-LG-Rebel-3-Prepaid-Smartphone-Refurbished/885201771. I paid 19.99 the online store has it for 24.99
We went with a cell phone so it fit in his pocket.
It also has a few games installed to use in lines.
The reason i have issues with there fire tablets is they dont have Google play and i wanted some games that are not in the amazon store.
Disney +, netflix are both in the amazon and google store.
So far its been awesome.

I actually was able to download Google Play to my Fire tablet. I had to download Chrome first. I got the tutorial for the whole process online. I did this, IIRC, so that I could download the YouTube app or something really popular; I can't remember exactly the reason why anymore LOL, it was years ago. But it worked!

That's a great idea, though, to just use a phone! It would work great for my grandson but I think my husband and I would prefer something bigger (when we use it, rarely).

I was able to download some Disney+ things to my Kindle Fire tablet. Not sure if it's saved on the tablet or on the SD card though.

I did find this though.

"Finally Solved. On amazon fire, go to settings->storage and then format sd as portable storage (does not work if sd is formatted as internal).
Then in disney + app->app settings->download location->External Storage ;)

I was able to download some Disney+ things to my Kindle Fire tablet. Not sure if it's saved on the tablet or on the SD card though.

I did find this though.

"Finally Solved. On amazon fire, go to settings->storage and then format sd as portable storage (does not work if sd is formatted as internal).

Yeah. I have had trouble with downloading D+ stuff to my SD card. It would download some and then suddenly, D+ would close and when I open it, I have to log back in and everything that I downloaded is "gone". But, the SD card still has the space used up. The only way to fix that was to unload the app and re-load it to my fire tablet. I experienced this several times.
I have given up trying to download D+ content to my SD card and just download to the internal.

I did find this though.

I saw that as well, but I don't have that option in my settings - I wonder if it's because it's older. My choices don't include formatting the SD card; I can only erase it. Back in the day, with floppy disks (that were actually hard, and hard disks were floppy LOL) formatting a disk also erased it but not vice versa.

I even searched in my Amazon profile, including the device profile, to see if there was something there to change the SD card to portable storage. :scared:

Yeah. I have had trouble with downloading D+ stuff to my SD card. It would download some and then suddenly, D+ would close and when I open it, I have to log back in and everything that I downloaded is "gone". But, the SD card still has the space used up. The only way to fix that was to unload the app and re-load it to my fire tablet. I experienced this several times.
I have given up trying to download D+ content to my SD card and just download to the internal.

Exactly. Unfortunately, there is little to no internal storage on my Fire tablet. I've had it since 2017. I was able to download one movie, thinking it was going to the SD card because that's how I had it set up (not knowing those options only applied to Amazon/Prime downloads).

Brad’s deals is advertising a Lenovo for $120. Not sure if it does what you need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter