Budgeting for tips

revdon64

DIS Veteran
I'm headed to the Bahamas for a three nighter on the Dream with DS7. Money is tight and wondering what I need to budget for tips. Any insight?

12.00 per guest, per night will be automatically charged to your onboard account. So for a 3 night cruise for 2 people, the total would be 72.00. This amount covers your server, assistant server, head server and cabin attendant. Many folks add more for great service.

I believe an 18% gratuity is automatically added to drink orders and spa services.

A few things to keep in mind that you may want to tip for:

Room service
Porters
Shuttle/taxi drivers
Excursions
Palo/Remy adult dining

Have a great cruise!

12.00 per guest, per night will be automatically charged to your onboard account. So for a 3 night cruise for 2 people, the total would be 72.00. This amount covers your server, assistant server, head server and cabin attendant. Many folks add more for great service.

I believe an 18% gratuity is automatically added to drink orders and spa services.

A few things to keep in mind that you may want to tip for:

Room service
Porters
Shuttle/taxi drivers
Excursions
Palo/Remy adult dining

Have a great cruise!
You're correct about the $12.00 per guest per day being charged. The break out is $4.00 per guest per day to your room host; $4.00 per guest per day to your dining room server; $3.00 per guest per day to your assistant server; and $1.00 per guest per day to your head server. You can tip additionally, if you wish, but it's not required.

Purchased drinks have a 15% gratuity added. Spa/salon services have an 18% gratuity added.

Does anyone else have an issue with tipping on a Disney cruise. The premium rates that Disney charges for these cruises are usually two times and sometimes more than a standard cruise. And after plopping down $8500 for a week-long cruise, as well as onboard charges that usually reach in thousands, they want another $350 for tips at the end. But, for our convenience, they will pre-charge us tips(Sarcasm)on our on-board account.

I usually cancel the automatic charge and tip as I see appropriate. Tipping a dining room supervisor seems weird and unnecessary.

Does anyone else have an issue with tipping on a Disney cruise. The premium rates that Disney charges for these cruises are usually two times and sometimes more than a standard cruise. And after plopping down $8500 for a week-long cruise, as well as onboard charges that usually reach in thousands, they want another $350 for tips at the end. But, for our convenience, they will pre-charge us tips(Sarcasm)on our on-board account.

I usually cancel the automatic charge and tip as I see appropriate. Tipping a dining room supervisor seems weird and unnecessary.

I can see where you are coming from, however Disney charges the industry standard for tipping. Have you looked at what other cruises charge? It is about the same. $13.50 per day per person. And in reality, Disney includes a lot more in the cruise that is an additional purchase on other cruise lines and would have to pay extra for and/or tip for when you bought which would end up costing you more. (soda and coffee and ice cream for example)

I have to say I felt like you do about the head server on my first Disney cruise back in 2001. I never saw him until the very last day to collect the tip.

HOWEVER, every cruise since the head server is extremely active in the dining room and you obviously have never been on the Fantasy with Faisal (who is moving to the Wonder) or Wit! I have never seen two men work so hard, and spend so much time with their tables. In addition, DH and I always tip MORE than Disney recommends. Everyone does such a great job taking care of us, and this is how they make their living and they work hard for it and deserve your gratitude. Heck, tipping is automatic on everything, including popcorn, are you going to argue that too?. Every thing I buy on that boat that has a tip included I will add something additional, even if it is just $1.

As for the automatic charges to the room, we didn't like it at first because we liked giving cash to our servers and room steward, but since we get points back on our credit card we leave the base charged to our room and tip additional in cash. (I paid for my last Disney cruise on my Disney Visa and prepaid the tips and financed them as part of my cruise for 6 months with no interest).

I have worked in tipping positions before, worked extremely hard, and been under tipped or "stiffed" before and it is not a good feeling. Tipping is a way of showing gratitude and thanking someone for a good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, let me make a point about the head servers. Even when you don't see them, it doesn't mean that they are not doing anything. Most likely, they are in the kitchen making sure that your servers get their food out to you. I think because there were so many cruisers who thought that they weren't doing anything until the final night to collect their tip envelopes, they have made themselves more visible to the dining room guests. And so, to assume that they don't do anything and therefore don't deserve a tip means that you have not inquired as to what a head server is actually responsible for. And secondly, on the subject of automatic tipping to your onboard account. The guidelines for tipping are different in other countries, so there is a strong possibility that the crew were not getting all of their tip money based on that fact. It's better that the gratuity money is automatically accrued from all passengers on board. Who has a job that would not want to be compensated for all of their hard work??? Their gratuity money is the majority of their income, not an extra bonus.

OK, was just able to book Stingray Adventure at CC for our cruise. Is there going to be any extra charge/tip expected there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!