Bus System Versus Taking Car

JAN ENOS

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney World the very last week of Februry.
We are driving down so we will have our car with us. We are staying at the Port Orleans French Quarter. Would we be smarter to use our car or to take the bus system? I have heard so horror stories of how long it takes and how much time you spend on the bus. But if you take your own car and are parked clear in the back of the parking lot, that sounds like a lot of walking. Any suggestions will be appreciated. We will have three little girls with us.
Thanks
Jan

The nice thing about having your own car is that you don't have to make a decision to just use one or the other :) It's nice to have a car when going from resort to resort, or for places like downtown disney or the water parks.

It's easier to take the bus to the Magic Kingdom because it drops you off at the gates. With a car you have to park at the transportation & ticket center, take a tram in from the parking lot and then take the monorail or ferry to the MK gates. It can be a hike! For other parks, where you can park closer in, it doesn't matter as much. The trams are convenient.

Some people will only take the busses, others will only take their cars. We do a little of both. You'll have to see what works best for you, with your 3 kids. Give the busses a try, you might like them :)

I personally always use Disney Transport when I'm on property... then again, if I didn't, I might get fired. LOL... Just kidding... all seriousness though, when I have family down at a Disney Resort, we always use Disney Transport. The longest I've ever had to personally wait was 8 minutes 21 seconds.

In regards to "horror stories" please keep in mind that Disney Transport is an ever changing operation. Even compared to just two weeks ago, we've made modifications to our dispatching systems to improve things.

Staying at FQ, you should have no problems with the busses. In the mornings, your busses will be staged out of a parking lot between FQ and RS. Typically, MOD busses will only pick up at FQ... however, if demand is light enough, they'll swing by South Depot as well. They're dispatched at pretty regular intervals from that parking lot.

In the afternoon/evening, when you want to come back... Port Orleans busses are typically dispatched at 12-15min intervals. Often times, FQ will be a seperate bus at the MK. However, even if they are combined, FQ is always the first stop.

I'd imagine, you've driven allllllllll the way down... the last thing you'll want to do is drive more. Relax, let us do the driving for you. When you take into consideration the lines at the Toll Plaza (You don't pay, but you still have to wait in line), parking the car, walking to the tram, taking the tram (and then optionally taking the Ferry or Monorail for the MK) then taking the bus actually can be faster.

Just a few tips:

Always read the signs on the bus. They'll tell you where the bus is headed to. If it says, "MAGIC KINGDOM" you can bet, it isn't going to Epcot. (You'd be surprised at some people)

Same thing goes for when catching the bus at the end of the night... Follow the signs to the load zone... Might not be the same one in which you got dropped off at.

Last week of February will be a little busy, with the start of all the spring breaks and all. Be prepared for crowds both inside the park, and at the bus stop. Never fear though, we will be increasing transportation to match it. If for some reason, you can't get on one bus, there will be another one shortly.

For Resort Hopping, I do recommend using your own car... That will be your easiest and quickest way for that.

With small Children I would take the car. You pay $6.00 for parking in each park but it is per day so take the ticket with you if you are hopping to a different park. If you are staying at a Disney Hotel Property use the busses for Magic Kingdom. That way you can avoid having to take the Monorail or the Motor Boat Launches at the end of the day to the ticket and Transportation center and then transfering to the parkinglot tram when you are really tired. That is the only park (Magic Kingdom) that I would recommend the Disney transportation. If you are staying outside the world, it won't make a difference they drop you off at the ticket and transportation center anyway so rent a Car. We were SO glad that we had a rental car with our small children. It was so convienent with our unbrella stroller and when they were tired we just left the park and took naps at the hotel and went swimming. We came back later for the Parades etc.

Have a Wonderful Time :D

I understand what you are telling me and I appreciate the advice.
What I am confused about is what you said about spring break.
We were told that we were in between the busy season. They
told us Presidents week was the one before us and that March
would be the spring break. I hope that our travel agent did not
mess us up with the week we picked. We will arrive Sunday February 23. Please clarify! You have me scared!
Jan

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

The crowds will not be as jam packed as Presidents Day, or 1st/2nd week of March... However, they still will be present. Just as long as you're not expecting it to be dead, and understand that it will be a little busy, you'll be all set. :D

Originally posted by rccruiser
You pay $6.00 for parking in each park but it is per day so take the ticket with you if you are hopping to a different park.

If you are staying on property in a Disney Resort you do not have to pay for parking at any of the theme parks. Just show your room key and they will wave you through.. That being said, we have always used our car when we are at WDW.. Maybe on the next trip we will use the Bus transport to go to MK since it does seem easier. But I actually don't mind taking the tram, it all seems like part of the experience to me.

I wouldn't worry too much about crowds. But Tyler is right, you should be prepared for them! I went in early March this year, and there were people, way more than in September of this year, but not nearly as many as I've seen in July or during Easter week.

It's hard to find a totally un-busy time, because there are so many special events, and schools stagger their vacations more than you would think.

Here is a small list of school spring breaks. You can see that lots of MA & NH schools are out during the last week of February, but that most schools around the country are off later. Colleges are mostly out in March (although I don't think they're on this list)

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=184658

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter