• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Busch Gardens Williamsburg TR

Buschfan

Mouseketeer
A little off the forum topic here. I did want to post details for other platinum pass holders though. We visited the park on Monday. It was a last-minute trip to VA for us due to family reasons.

Anyway, we didn't get to the park until about 12:30 as we had a long drive from the Northern Virginia area. The new ramp from I-64 that goes right to the park entrance was great. You used to have to hit lights on 60 into the parks.

It was not very crowded. We parked in the Italy parking area. I knew it was going to be a good day when the tram operator told everyone about what her grand daughter did over the weekend and how she calls her 'mee-maw'. The people who work here are the nicest folks I have ever encountered in the years I have visited.

Our platinum pass got us in with no problems. First time I have used it outside of Florida and was a little concerned for nothing I guess. We brought our Sea World cups and had no problems refilling them here either.

We rode Loch Ness first and it was a walk on. They were running all 3 trains. This is still a favorite of mine. The dragon lights weren't working in the tunnel which made it almost pitch black. I heard that they are going to be doing some renovations to Nessie soon. New loading gates and such.

Alpengeist was rough like I remember last year. Really bad vibration that Montu does not have. It did not have this during it's first few years of operation.

Apollo's Chariot was about a 15 minute wait both times we rode it. My 6 year old rode it for the first-time. All I can say is that stuffing napkins in shoe heels works wonders! I wish Tampa would get one of these coasters. I love the simple lap restraints on this ride.

There have been many beer stands added. It used to be only a few indoor places you could buy it. You still have to watch the signs carefully. I forgot that I wasn't in Florida and walked past a sign saying you could not walk past with alcohol thanks to Virginia's outdated ABC laws. I quickly stepped back when a security guard started staring at my cup.

We saw the new show in Ireland. I didn't have time to see it last year. Very good 'river dance' type show. It was much better than the cruise ship show that used to be housed in the theater.

We stayed for the new Imaginque show. There were two shows 9 and 10 pm. We saw the later. It was very good. Very colorful and the costumes were very creative. It is a Cirque type show. It fit in very well to the France section of the park.

We enjoyed our visit to say the least. We met up with a cousin that works at the park. He told us the best place to sit for the show and got us a really nice discount on food at the Festhaus. I just wished we had a second day to visit. I also wanted to go to Water Country which I have never been to. It appears to be much larger than Adventure Island. It is very much worth a trip to Williamsburg especially if you have the new platinum pass!

We'll be going to Busch Gardens in Virginia in Sept. Can we buy the platinum passes there and use them at the Tampa Busch Gardens and Orlando SeaWorld!? I just want to make sure.

Woohoo! I see the platinum passports on the Seaworld website! We've had Seaworld passes for a few years, but I never looked into the other passports. We moved to Maryland last year, so the platinum passport will be great! We already have a trip to Williamsburg planned for late August.

Certainly worth upgrading to platinum if you are going to Williamsburg! Sounds like you are going for the first-time. I really think you will be impressed with this park. It actually makes it tough for me to go back to the Tampa park after visiting Williamsburg. Tampa is just not up to the same high standards. The problematic and very lame Rhino Rally is a prime example. Please post what you think of Williamsburg when you return.

Wow!

I am certainly glad I checked this thread tonight! Living this close to BG-Williamsburg, hubby and I have definitely got or use out of our platinum passes. We went an average of once every other weekend last season... Less this year, only because of some back problems I've been having (no, not resulting from coasters ;) )

Not to mention being able to get into SeaWorld and BG-Tampa FREE!! (Free admission to all the Anheiser Busch parks for 2 years).

I'm not completely sure that the platinum pass can be purchased at the park (bought ours online), but I did see someone upgrade their Silver pass to a Platinum one while they where there. I think it's around $200 per adult or so... Not a bad deal for all those parks. Did I mention the free parking and 10% merchandise/food discounts?

You can probably get the story by calling the toll free number (800) 343-7946 , or if you're already in town (757) 253-3350.

Despite that it's a theme park based on... (The production of) BEER!... It really is a VERY family oriented park. Howl-O-Scream here is very tame compared to HoS in Tampa...

Imaginique is here only for the summer, although I think it would be a very smart idea if they'd bring it here all year. Parks are not 'too' crowded during weekdays... A group of us went July 2nd... I only had to wait 15 minutes while my friends rode Apollo's Chariot... And Alpengeist was virtually a walk-on. There was practically no wait for the Lochness Monster... Big Bad Wolf has a surprisingly long wait tho... (I have a theory that this has to do with show-end timing and location)

And we won't even discuss my love of their newest country, Ireland...
Must try the food at Grogan's...
Must have a Doc's Slushy...
Must see Irish Thunder again...
Must browse in the Pot O' Gold shop...
Corkscrew hill is a motion simulation thingee... Hubby said the narrow hallway queue is claustrophobia inducing.
Too bad the fountain isn't a "talking" fountain..... Or IS IT??? ;)

Drat, I wasn't going to discuss it, was I!

Anyway, if I can answer any BGW related questions, I'd be glad to try and help!
:jester:

Originally posted by Buschfan
I forgot that I wasn't in Florida and walked past a sign saying you could not walk past with alcohol thanks to Virginia's outdated ABC laws. I quickly stepped back when a security guard started staring at my cup.

Lol, I had forgtten how much of a party state Florida is and how bizarre it is to see loads of people loose in the streets with open cups of beer :)

Just got back with the FW from Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Even though it rained for most of the day, we still had a great time. The coasters operate in the rain as long as there in no thunder or lightning. All the cast members are very friendly. Even the crowd they get is very friendly, unlike Paramounts King's Dominion. We go every year, and the crowd never changes or gets any better. I decided not to go this year because the people they attract lately are dirty and disgusting. If I wanted to party with the projects I'd go there. I would watch people put garbage on top of the garbage can instead of in it. Talk about being lazy!

i was lucky enough to grow up in va. beach, a mere 45 minutes from bgw. i can remember the admission fee starting out at $6.95! can you believe that? of course, it was a lot smaller place back then (i think it opened mid to late seventies). it has always been one of my favorite theme parks to visit because the grounds are so nice, just really pretty landscaping, plants, and flowers, etc. they used to use double decker english style buses to take you to the entrance, but maintenance on them was getting too expensive. i live in denver, co. now, but someday soon, i will have to go back.

I remember the early days at this park quite well. I went to the hospitality center before the park was open and remember seeing previews of the park shown on a movie before they opened in '75. The double-decker busses are also a fond memory. I would always go to the top level of the busses to get a better view. I even remember that the parking lot was gravel with railroad ties to match the lots of the Williamsburg foundation. I was more into Kings Dominion in my earlier years because they had more rides. As I grew older, I appreciated the beauty of Busch more. I also worked at Kings Dominion as a teenager and can better appreciate how much better Busch is at theming and cleaniness as a result.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter