"Business Casual" at Jiko - will I be overdressed?

MickeyMonstersMom

DIS Veteran
... and if so, will it matter?

I just bought a fantastic, "packable" halter dress that I thought I'd take to wear for dinner at Jiko, but I'm not sure if it's too dressy. It wouldn't bug me so much if I were going with someone, but as a solo diner I don't want to stand out or look weird. Are people more on the "casual" side at Jiko, or would my dress fit in?

Your dress would be fine, it sounds really nice!

I've seen a few slobs, but for the most part people are business casual. It's not at all uncommon to see people at the WDW signature restuarants in suits and ties and dresses--often locals celebrating something.

Anne

My DH and I went to Disney on our honeymoon Dec 3-9, 2006. We decided to dress a little nicer for all of our dinner since it was our honeymoon. Much to our disappointment we were WAY overdressed! Even at the Califorinia Grill, which has a dress code, there were people in sweatshirts and blue jeans! This was our "biggest" dinner and we were so disappointed! We even scheduled our ADR late so we could see the fireworks at the MK and hopefully encounter other well dressed couples. My suggestion...wear your fabulous new dress! I'm already planning outfits for our return anniversary trip this December.

Please ask yourself the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip? Probably No!

2. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

3. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

Please ask yourself the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip? Probably No!

2. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

3. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

Hehe, thanks for putting it all into perspective. :)

Thanks all for the input. I'll enjoy wearing the new dress, then. :cutie:

Whenever we go to a nice restaurant at WDW we wear something decent. I am not as nice as other people and think evil thoughts about others, when I see people in shorts and tshirts, I always think I'm glad I'm not dressed like that for this nice restaurant. So wear your pretty dress!
fyi-I wear shorts and tshirts to the parks.

Jiko restaurant has a Business Casual dress code. No hats, swim suits, swim suit coveralls, tank tops, T-shirts, torn clothing or flip-flops. You can wear, dress shorts, pants, jean pants, collared shirts, blouses, sweaters, pants. So you may find yourself in good company. My dd dreesed up a few months ago, and didn't feel out of place.

Your dress would be fine, it sounds really nice!

I've seen a few slobs, but for the most part people are business casual. It's not at all uncommon to see people at the WDW signature restuarants in suits and ties and dresses--often locals celebrating something.

Anne

I agree! BF and I dressed up, took lots of pictures at the Lodge and saw kids in shorts hiding under the table next to us and a couple of people in tees and jeans. Kind of disappointing. There were, however, others in suits and dresses.

My advice is to rock the dress. You can bring a sweater just in case you feel uncomfortable (whether due to chilly air or feeling overdressed).

Jiko has a *fabulous* menu! It is one of my favorite places. The filet has the world's best red wine sauce and the pistachio creme brulee is so good.

This is kind of new to me, my DH and I decided that we were going to have a "date night" one night, by ditching the kids with the IL and going to dinner and then heading on over to PI. We decided to have dinner at a fancier place than what we will be used to, so we picked Wolfgang Puck's upstairs restaurant in DTD. When I made ADRs the CM told me it was business casual...no t's, jean shorts, that sort of thing :confused3. Don't need to wear a tie which is good because my DH wants to go to a nice dinner but don't want to require to wear a tie. I, however, am going to go shopping for a nice little black dress or sundress for that night. That is one night I cannot wait for in the 10 days that we will be there :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

If it is "packable" it was designed for the traveler and was most likely designed to fit in just about anywhere...it is not like it is an evening gown or cocktail dress. My MIL has a lot of Chico's traveler line and she wears them dressed up or dressed down and they always look great. Heck, I've worn a dress to the MK before and felt just fine.

The dress sounds nice. I don't pay so much attention to what others wear, unless it's very out of the ordinary (like during a Palos brunch on the Disney Magic, seeing a couple in extreme casual wear with Mickeys all over it). That is the only time I really remember what someone wore!

... and if so, will it matter?

I just bought a fantastic, "packable" halter dress that I thought I'd take to wear for dinner at Jiko, but I'm not sure if it's too dressy. It wouldn't bug me so much if I were going with someone, but as a solo diner I don't want to stand out or look weird. Are people more on the "casual" side at Jiko, or would my dress fit in?

I have made more fashion faux-pas than I care to remember (probably, no one noticed but me, but still....) I think you are wise to ask about this in advance. Not all of us can carry off the "I don't care what strangers think" tactic and still have a good time! Nor should we, for the reasons outlined by LuLuLovesDisney. Dress codes exist for the purpose of helping people feel more comfortable, not less. Folks who violate dress codes make others feel uncomfortable, and that is just as discourteous as swearing or jumping the queue at the parks.

Of course, none of this pertains to you :) . If you avoid strappy high heels and ornate jewelery, you will do just fine. Travel dresses are made to be versatile- how they look depends on what else you wear with them. That is the magic of accessories!

Thanks for all the support! Actually, I ended up changing my mind because of the weather forecast - and am very glad I did! Instead of the warm-weather halter, I opted for a cotton skirt and long-sleeved top. Good thing, as it was rainy and chilly that day, and I was shivering even in the warmer outfit.

Everyone was right - I saw two couples who were dressed up very nicely, as well as several people in jeans and one woman in a track suit (well, maybe she didn't pack any warm dress clothes?). Interestingly, there is no mention of the dress code on the wall menu outside Jiko, although all the menus outside the business-casual places at DTD and the Boardwalk do describe the proper attire expected there (I checked). Huh.

As a couple who go to the nicer restaurants at Disney (Jiko is our favorite) and always take the opportunity to dress up, THANK YOU for caring about the dress code! We see so many slobs in their park clothes and it just takes away from the mood. I don't let it ruin a great night, but I just wish people would be considerate. It's not like there aren't other options at WDW if you don't want to change out of your tank top to eat.

I'll see you at Jiko in my dress AND strappy heels - thank you! :)

As a couple who go to the nicer restaurants at Disney (Jiko is our favorite) and always take the opportunity to dress up, THANK YOU for caring about the dress code! We see so many slobs in their park clothes and it just takes away from the mood. I don't let it ruin a great night, but I just wish people would be considerate. It's not like there aren't other options at WDW if you don't want to change out of your tank top to eat.

I'll see you at Jiko in my dress AND strappy heels - thank you! :)

Heh. Me, too, actually. :rotfl: We're going either to Jikos or Bongos on our "parents night out." I just thought the OP was going alone and didn't want to draw attention to herself. Me, I just want to make sure DH is looking at my legs, and if he is, I really don't care who else is! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter