Buy other gift cards with walmart gift card

I tried last night to buy $100 in Disney gcards with a walmart gcard and it would not let me. Guess I will go back to trading my SB in for Target cards. I just did WM these last few because Target is 45 mins away and WM is 8 minutes.

However, I have bought them with WM gcards in the past. But it has been about a year since I last did so.
Hmm that's interesting. In early September we bought a $100 Disney gift card with a $100 Walmart gift card.

Is there any indication why it wouldn't work? I'm looking for a policy change or something.

Gift cards are used in laundering money, so it's no surprise that retailers are clamping down on their use .... ;)

Same reason that, at least the last time I heard, you could only buy a limited amount of Disney dollars with a credit card from Disney. Its a quick way to turn stolen money, say from a stolen CC, into something now easily transferable and can't be traced.

You can definitely purchase Disney gift cards at Sam's Club using Walmart gift cards. I cannot confirm if you can purchase other 3rd party cards. I bought a Sam's Club membership online, purchased Disney gift cards online (at a 4% discount), and I have never needed to actually visit a Sam's Club.

Hello guys. i have $1k walmart gift card. i see too many people can buy other gift cards with walmart gift cards. for example they can buy 40x $20 psn gift card or itunes gift cards from walmart store by using walmart gift cards. i mean they are abld to buy large number of gift cards with walmart gift cards.

i went to a lot of stores and they told me i can not buy other gift cards with walmart gift cards and i need to use credit card or debit card !!!!!. so how other people can buy other gift cards in walmart stores by walmarr gift cards ?.

can you guys help me ?. thanks.

I think this may vary based on your state's laws. I haven't tried to buy other gift cards with a Walmart gift card, but I know that I recently bought Disney gift cards using a Target gift card at Target (in CT).

Hmm that's interesting. In early September we bought a $100 Disney gift card with a $100 Walmart gift card.

Is there any indication why it wouldn't work? I'm looking for a policy change or something.
I have searched their website, google, etc and can find nothing. I even tried using self ckout and walmart pay (with gcards loaded...had to have them come cancel my order). I may try going back through self ckout with just $25 and see if it will work that way, but haven't had time yet.

I have searched their website, google, etc and can find nothing. I even tried using self ckout and walmart pay (with gcards loaded...had to have them come cancel my order). I may try going back through self ckout with just $25 and see if it will work that way, but haven't had time yet.
Well drat. Hopefully you get it working for you.

Use self checkout. and break up your purchases, the most i would do is $500 at once.

Since this thread is a year old, does anyone know if this is still the case with Walmart?

I know target’s policy won’t allow it.

Since this thread is a year old, does anyone know if this is still the case with Walmart?

I just purchased 2 $50 Disney gift card Friday evening and paid with 4 $25 walmart gift cards. I always go through self check out because it's faster for me to scan in my multiple walmart gc payments there than at regular check out

I just purchased 2 $50 Disney gift card Friday evening and paid with 4 $25 walmart gift cards. I always go through self check out because it's faster for me to scan in my multiple walmart gc payments there than at regular check out

Thank you so much! Sounds promising!

For most WMs you should be good. There's always some sporadic reports of trouble, but for the majority the system is still allowing GC > GC. It's best if you have a self checkout with the hand scanner so you can just do it yourself no matter the type of GC. One of my WMs doesn't have the hand scanner so I had to ask the cashier to do it since I had eGCs (I didn't realize that location had different self checkout machines). She didn't think it was supposed to work but she tried it anyway for me and seemed surprised when it did. I believe WM has told their cashiers that they shouldn't be doing it/it shouldn't work but the system still allows it.

It could end at any time, though, as WM is part of a collaboration to combat GC fraud and part of the strategy for that is to stop GC > GC transactions. Best Buy and Target are part of the same group and have already implemented that part :( It's possible WM eventually does the same through the system, rather than just cashier training.
(https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/tak...and-best-buy-to-protect-consumers-from-scams/)

one of my friend buy around $2k psn gift cards per day from walmart.

Not sure what store 'psn' is, but have no idea why someone would want/need to make daily purchases of that amount. Money laundering & theft are the two biggest reasons most stores are putting limits on the use of gift cards to buy other gift cards.

I would imagine most stores will implement software changes to prevent hand scanning of gift cards for gift card transactions. Fairly simple to do since the software would recognize when a gift card is being used.

For most WMs you should be good. There's always some sporadic reports of trouble, but for the majority the system is still allowing GC > GC. It's best if you have a self checkout with the hand scanner so you can just do it yourself no matter the type of GC. One of my WMs doesn't have the hand scanner so I had to ask the cashier to do it since I had eGCs (I didn't realize that location had different self checkout machines). She didn't think it was supposed to work but she tried it anyway for me and seemed surprised when it did. I believe WM has told their cashiers that they shouldn't be doing it/it shouldn't work but the system still allows it.

It could end at any time, though, as WM is part of a collaboration to combat GC fraud and part of the strategy for that is to stop GC > GC transactions. Best Buy and Target are part of the same group and have already implemented that part :( It's possible WM eventually does the same through the system, rather than just cashier training.
(https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/tak...and-best-buy-to-protect-consumers-from-scams/)

Thanks for the info!

I tried to buy a $200 Disney GC on Tuesday using the e-gift card from my WM Savings Catcher. They wouldn't allow it. So I paid for the GC with my credit card and it still wouldn't take my e-gift card to pay for my $135 worth of groceries. If it doesn't work next time, I am going to be mighty upset. This is money I earned through the Savings Catcher. They know it is valid $. I had bought Disney GCs in the past with my Savings Catcher, but it wouldn't work this week. I had way too many groceries to try to use self checkout, but the line was very long.

I tried to buy a $200 Disney GC on Tuesday using the e-gift card from my WM Savings Catcher. They wouldn't allow it. So I paid for the GC with my credit card and it still wouldn't take my e-gift card to pay for my $135 worth of groceries. If it doesn't work next time, I am going to be mighty upset. This is money I earned through the Savings Catcher. They know it is valid $. I had bought Disney GCs in the past with my Savings Catcher, but it wouldn't work this week. I had way too many groceries to try to use self checkout, but the line was very long.
Just go to another Walmart or do self checkout. Not sure why they’re acting like that.

Not sure what store 'psn' is, but have no idea why someone would want/need to make daily purchases of that amount. Money laundering & theft are the two biggest reasons most stores are putting limits on the use of gift cards to buy other gift cards.

I would imagine most stores will implement software changes to prevent hand scanning of gift cards for gift card transactions. Fairly simple to do since the software would recognize when a gift card is being used.
I’m assuming PSN is PlayStation network. I’m not sure why someone would need $2k daily worth of stuff from the PlayStation store unless they resell them to gamers or is a big time gamer.

I tried to buy a Disney gift card today with my Walmart gift card and the system wouldn’t allow it. I used self checkout, but as soon as I scanned the gift card it came up that I needed a associate. She had to login in and then put the amount on the card. When I went to pay it, it said declined on the screen and stated I needed to pay with cash or debit/credit card.

I tried to buy a Disney gift card today with my Walmart gift card and the system wouldn’t allow it. I used self checkout, but as soon as I scanned the gift card it came up that I needed a associate. She had to login in and then put the amount on the card. When I went to pay it, it said declined on the screen and stated I needed to pay with cash or debit/credit card.
That's troubling. This GC wasn't in the app was it? Just regular swiping/scanning of a GC? I think there was a problem with GC stored in the app not working, but I thought separate GC still worked.

That's troubling. This GC wasn't in the app was it? Just regular swiping/scanning of a GC? I think there was a problem with GC stored in the app not working, but I thought separate GC still worked.

This was with a physical gift card, not on the app. Hopefully others will have better luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter