Buy Saratoga instead of Boardwalk, pass Go and collect $200...

I did the same as the OP - recognizing that I would struggle likely to get a 2BR at say Beach for Food and Wine. SSR reminds me a good bit of POR - it is a nice resort and it is actually nice to leave the Disney bubble sort of. I find it relaxing.

I just stayed at BLT for a night - with the pool closed it felt dead - almost too quiet.

Got a 2BR at GCV for Memorial Day weekend right at 7 months so it can be done.

This sounds like what we did. We got 150 points (loaded) at SSR in 2011. We generally book one-bedrooms. We did an add-on of 250 BWV points later, but that was after we had used our SSR points to stay at BWV and loved it. For us this worked perfectly - we didn't invest too much to begin with and we were able to make sure we understood DVC. As our family got older, we got points at BWV so we could be sure to stay there every other year in a standard room. We typically get one bedrooms (easy to book) and stay in August or September. We have used SSR points at 7 months to stay at BWV, BCV, BLT, and AKV and have always gotten the dates we want. This year we have 10 nights in August at the GFV! We didn't even have to wait list!

I know you're already headed towards SSR, but I'm in the buy where you want to stay camp. If VGF is your dream resort, and you would always wish you were staying there, then please buy there. This is a Disney dream purchase. We are all going to Disney as a dream vacation, life is just too darn short, and you can't take it with you. Visit it once first to make sure you're in love with the resort and will want to return every year, and then go ahead and fulfill your dream. That's my advice, take it or leave it.

As a new member, we thought a lot about where to buy. We knew our main interests were EPCOT Food and Wine and the Garden show or early December (2 of the 3 are high demand DVC times). With no young kids going with us, that also played into our decision. We went with the buy where you want to stay. At least this year, by the 7 month window, there was very little available at Beach Club or Boardwalk. We still had to book a few nights at another resort.
I think it comes down to a decision of whether there is one place that you prefer to stay, or any of them are fine as long as I have a room. I suspect that answer varies by the person. For us, staying where we prefered was more important.

I am also in the buy where you want to stay camp. I feel like but settling at a different resort and hoping to get into others you are essentially forfeiting your 11 month booking advantage, one of the most valuable advantages you get joining DVC. I'm a new member so can't say from experience, but everything I've seen on the booking patterns shows that if you're hoping to book from OCT-JAN (especially at coveted resorts or in a studio) you are going to need to be on the phone at 7am, 7 months out to the day to have any hope of getting your request... And even then your selection will be limited.

I'm in the "buy where you don't mind staying" camp. I bought OKW and SSR resales. The Epcot area is my favorite area. But if I can't book there at 7 months, I'm fine with staying at OKW or SSR. I like the convenience of SSR to Disney Springs and I like the spaciousness of OKW villas. I'd like to try the Polynesian, but I'm not willing to pay the price. I'll take my chances at 7 months.

Last edited:
Wow! That's great info! I appreciate it! We have school age kids but I have no problem taking them out of school for a trip to Disney! We're pretty flexible when we can go. The 1 BR thing will be tough as we only have 130 points(for now) so I would have to bank/borrow and for now we plan on going every year. I'm OK with staying at SSR but hoping to not be "stuck" there every year.

So one thing to be aware is that it will get harder for the middle school years - and really really hard for the high school years to pull kids from school - or even just find time for a family vacation.

I had no problem pulling kids when they were little. But in middle school, material was moving a lot faster - and the serious activities started kicking in. In high school the activities are very serious - if you want to play sports, or be in drama or on math team, you'd better be showing up for every practice. And whether you are just trying to graduate or trying to get into a good college with AP credits behind you, being in class is essential to success.

Now, with a Sophomore and a Junior, we really can't go as a family at all - they are either in activities, or they are working, or they are in school. Its hard to find a time between Summer activities and the start of Fall activities (in August). They even had baseball tryouts and set build over Spring Break.

We are in process of buying SSR. We stayed at SSR on our last trip and enjoyed it quite a bit. My wife loves DTD so being close is huge plus for her. I prefer the spacious rooms at OKW or SSR so my little ones have room to play when we are not at the parks. SSR was the best value during my research followed by BLT.

I strongly considered Boardwalk as I know when my kids are older they will enjoy being close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. I bought a smaller SSR contract with the intent to add on BWV at a later date when the kids are older.

So one thing to be aware is that it will get harder for the middle school years - and really really hard for the high school years to pull kids from school - or even just find time for a family vacation.

I had no problem pulling kids when they were little. But in middle school, material was moving a lot faster - and the serious activities started kicking in. In high school the activities are very serious - if you want to play sports, or be in drama or on math team, you'd better be showing up for every practice. And whether you are just trying to graduate or trying to get into a good college with AP credits behind you, being in class is essential to success.

Now, with a Sophomore and a Junior, we really can't go as a family at all - they are either in activities, or they are working, or they are in school. Its hard to find a time between Summer activities and the start of Fall activities (in August). They even had baseball tryouts and set build over Spring Break.
To be honest my oldest is in 3rd grade and it was tough having her miss over a week of school this year. For my next trip I'm planning on going during election week, they have some time off already. I dread the day that it becomes to difficult to plan a trip together. Wish there was some pixie dust to keep em little!

We are in process of buying SSR. We stayed at SSR on our last trip and enjoyed it quite a bit. My wife loves DTD so being close is huge plus for her. I prefer the spacious rooms at OKW or SSR so my little ones have room to play when we are not at the parks. SSR was the best value during my research followed by BLT.

I strongly considered Boardwalk as I know when my kids are older they will enjoy being close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. I bought a smaller SSR contract with the intent to add on BWV at a later date when the kids are older.

We have 420 SSR points and love having it as our home resort as thhe kids get bigger! My kids are 18 and 22 and we have DTD in our backyard. Kids get older and can go on their own with friends eat, drink and not have to even wait for a bus. I love SSR. Granted, we have stayed at a lot of resorts, GFVs and Poly our last two visits, but having DTD so close, especially for our Christmas-New Years trip makes it great for ADRs and not having to wait for busses.

We bought resale at SSR as well. As someone said, we go with that buy where you don't mind staying. That would be true for all DVC resorts as I am one who likes to bounce around. I love trying all the resorts and changing it up trip to trip. So SSR made the most sense for buy in and dues.

We've owned SSR since 2009. We always travel in either early-mid July (but always after the 4th) or early June. We always book a 1 BR for our family of 4 (me, DW, DD22, and DD19). So far, every year when I checked, at 7 months (on the dot), both AKV Standard View and Boardwalk Standard View have been available. We've also booked BLT Standard View twice - both times it was not available at 7 months (we booked Boardwalk at that time) , but we did get in via Wait List (we always book 8 to 10 nights and never want to split stays and change resorts during the trip, so the whole 9 nights had to open up to get into BLT). We are not at all picky about theming, and never spend much time at the pool. Our goal is to save money on hotels so that's why we always look for Standard View rooms, so we can maximize the number of nights we get for our yearly trip.

This has worked well for us, but as many others have said, if you absolutely must stay at Boardwalk or BCV or BLT (or wherever), and you can book at 8 to 11 months, then buy there. And if you are never going to book earlier than 7 months, then points is points, and there is no advantage to owning one resort over another

This has worked well for us, but as many others have said, if you absolutely must stay at Boardwalk or BCV or BLT (or wherever), and you can book at 8 to 11 months, then buy there. And if you are never going to book earlier than 7 months, then points is points, and there is no advantage to owning one resort over another

This is very good advice. We did it backwards. We have BLT and BCV points and are in ROFR for SSR simply because we need more points and it is the best deal. Period.

We are lucky enough to be able to go multiple times a year and are able to book at 11 months at both BLT and BCV. SSR points will help getting other resorts at 7 months or even relatively last minute. Heck, we will even use them to actually stay at SSR since we love it there.

If you feel you must stay at a specific resort at a certain time for your once a year vacation then you should own there. Otherwise SSR is a very good option over the long term.

Ooh, thank you, thank you, thank you! I will look at this tomorrow night! Just looking at the bottom line knowing me I'd pick the best deal, SSR, but this is before experiencing any of them. BLT I've read here has a nice member's bar, so they would have to let us up there to check it out before any decisions are made.:smooth:

I saw earlier in the thread you mention a bit about renting points. I'd definitely encourage renting and trying the resorts you're thinking about before purchasing. We didn't try all the possible options, but at least had stayed at Boardwalk and knew we wanted the convenience of walking to two parks. So I'd definitely encourage on the next trip trying to rent points and give it a trial at SSR if you're thinking about it, or perhaps even trying a split stay between two you're thinking about.

I saw earlier in the thread you mention a bit about renting points. I'd definitely encourage renting and trying the resorts you're thinking about before purchasing. We didn't try all the possible options, but at least had stayed at Boardwalk and knew we wanted the convenience of walking to two parks. So I'd definitely encourage on the next trip trying to rent points and give it a trial at SSR if you're thinking about it, or perhaps even trying a split stay between two you're thinking about.
I tried renting from David's 3 different times this past month with no luck. I basically need a 2br at SSR Jan marathon weekend which I think is 128 points. I have no clue how to secure this rental. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I tried renting from David's 3 different times this past month with no luck. I basically need a 2br at SSR Jan marathon weekend which I think is 128 points. I have no clue how to secure this rental. Any advice would be appreciated.

SSR has preferred view still open for marathon week end, are you looking for standard instead? I guess it will be difficult to get it, unfortunately. Marathon week end is probably the most difficult week end to get year around (maybe NYE is worst?).

Just a quick update...recently secured a DVC reservation from David's for a 2br at SSR. Here's to one step closer to becoming a DVC owner! Thanks for all the helpful advice. I will continue to post updates here as we experience more of this process.

NM it’s an old thread! Congrats and happy stays!!

SR is charming and underrated. It’s going to get a refresh soon and with all the DS has to offer now within walking distance it’s a great location for adults. We booked it through Disney without knowing anything about DVC and now we own several points.

My caution would be: even since we began a few years ago, the 7 mo window has tightened. Awareness, ease of renting, new owners from new resorts etc are adding pressure and will continue to do so. I’ve booked VGC many times at the 7mos but assume that after SWL opens next summer that is over. I’m assuming the same for BC and BWV. Now when Riviera comes online, at first it will open up space until it’s sold and then you will have many more owners looking to trade into VGF, BC and the like. We only book 1 or 2 beds which gives us an advantage at 7mos since aren’t in the fight for studios. My recommendation would be to buy enough points to book a 1 bed at your dream resort. That will be your best shot. If you don’t need it on the day, no problem. More trips, or bank.

Buy where you want to stay or have enough points to go 1bed at your fave. And remember to check the difference in pints per resort at your travel times. The difference for VGF vs SSR or BC is vast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!