Buying direct and resale question

Salf777

Mouseketeer
I see many people discuss buying direct and also resale why is this done?
Is it simply for the direct benefits, blue card?
can you buy a resale first and later add on direct, if available at your home resort from Disney, and then get the direct benefits or do you have to buy direct first then add on resale?
Thanks

You can purchase whatever when ever.

People buy direct typically for the benefits or because it's a new resort with good incentives.

Right now direct benefits are 100 points but going to 125 on October 1 (if you buy before you are locked in).

There is benefits like AP discounts or food discounts which you just need to qualify for direct benefits. There is also point specific benefits like being able to use points at RIV or future resorts.

Yes, many members buy both direct and resale because they want the direct points for different reasons (e.g., blue card, ease of purchase, speed of receipt of points), but they don't want to pay direct prices for all of their points. For example, if you know that you want to purchase 250 points in the next year and you want the blue card for the annual pass discounts. you can buy 150 resale points and 100 direct points for the same resort and use year.

You'll hear often that you want to buy resale first and then direct because if Disney has the points, they can match whatever use year you want. Wit- resale, you're subject to whatever is available. For example, let's say you find a great 150 point resale contract for your desired resort and it has a March use year. You can buy it and also call Disney and say you want 100 points at that resort and if they have them, they will match the March use year. However, if you buy direct first, and you choose a December use year, you may wait and wait and wait for a 150 point resale contact with the December use year.

Friends, please correct me if I'm wrong. This is only my second post, but I've been reading these forums for so long, I feel like I know what I'm taking about, LOL.

And when you do finally find it, someone will have called 5 minutes prior and beat you to it.

BUT if December works best for your travel plans would you be waiting for December anyway? I’m a non-member but looking at resale and thinking I need Dec....should I be looking At Oct as well? Plan to travel Jan-may

BUT if December works best for your travel plans would you be waiting for December anyway? I’m a non-member but looking at resale and thinking I need Dec....should I be looking At Oct as well? Plan to travel Jan-may

IMO the UY is over analyzed on this board but I understand some people are very very locked in when they can go and if its not a specific week there is zero chance of going another week.

For me I have a April UY and primary travel is Sept-Jan with possible summer travel in the future. What I do know it I would really never plan on traveling in Feb or March.

Your goal in my mind is if you plan on cancelling a trip you have enough time to bank your points. You can only do this if you cancel 31 days prior to your trip. My Nov 30 banking deadline means for mid-Jan I just need to cancel 45 days prior to my travel otherwise my points are stuck in that UY. Which would be the same thing if I cancelled 25 days as well.

In the end if things were bad enough that I had to cancel in the final 45 days its likely my points would have went in to holding anyways. In that case my plan would be to just rent out the points cheap for a last second rental. Its unlikely though that I would ever randomly cancel that close to a travel date though and I am fine getting $12/point as an example in rental in the unlikely event.

So nah UY to me doesn't matter and having more time before you normally travels just allows me to walk the reservation longer if I wanted.

Quick Question- I was just talking to DVC and they said that if I am a current DVC member I will have priority to purchase new properties. Is that everyone's experience? Does this apply if I buy re-sale?

Quick Question- I was just talking to DVC and they said that if I am a current DVC member I will have priority to purchase new properties. Is that everyone's experience? Does this apply if I buy re-sale?

Yes, they do sometimes allow DVC owners to purchase a few days or few weeks before others.

I have Never read there is a difference.

Yes, they do sometimes allow DVC owners to purchase a few days or few weeks before others.

I have Never read there is a difference.

Want to add even the new Disneyland Tower is unlikely going to need that benefit. Really the bigger thing is that both resale and direct members get an extra discount when you add-on vs a new member incentive.

Either December or October would work in your case.
As others have said, don't overthink the UY unless you can only go a very specific time of of the year. Most important is having the same UY if you have multiple contracts so you can keep them in the same account, makes life easier (though there are reasons some people like having different UY for different vacation patterns)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter