Buying direct or resale?

Dicentras

Mouseketeer
We are very seriously considering a dvc membership. My husband is pretty pro buying direct, his opinion is that if he’s paying that much, he wants all the benefits. I’m tempted by resale’s much lower prices. And the benefits don’t seem super worth the difference...

Sway us one way or the other! Lol

It all depends on where you want to buy. IMO, buying CCV would be more worth it to buy direct becuase they’re still selling points and you can get any amount of points and whatever use year you want. Somewhere like VGC would be better to buy resale if you find one because of the high selling price. It really depends on how many points you want, where you want to buy and what use year you want. I hope this helps!

We definitely want Poly, 100-125 points.
The direct sales person I’ve been talking to seemed to think Poly waitlist would be successful after a short turnaround

:)
thanks

Last edited:
I bought 2 contracts both resale. We won’t use RCI, exchanging points for a cruise isn’t a great deal. So knowing we just wanted to stay at WDW, we got a great deal!

Do you only want to stay in studios? Poly only has studio units, while other DVC resorts have studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, and larger units. Then figure out how many points you will need, ie. enough for 1 week a year or every other year. Then figure out your UY “use year”, which means figuring out what time of year you travel the most, spring, summer, fall, winter. The best UY is one that happens a month or 2 before the time you usually travel.

Then.... unless you really plan on buying annual passes every year, buying resale can really save you a lot of money. Only Copper Creek direct makes any sense right now, unless buying AP’s.

We went resale, albeit before the change in benefit access. (So I can't use the points for Adventures by Disney, but I do get a membership card.)

I'd really suggest looking at just what benefits you'll use. If you'll be buying annual passes, it might be worth it to go direct, especially if you can avoid Gold's blackout dates. (But there's no guarantee that the rules won't change on those.) A lot of the other benefits are available to Disney Visa cardholders or AP holders.

I'd also really recommend spending some time going over the pros and cons of various resorts. We knew going in that we wanted to buy at Wilderness Lodge. So we went over all the advantages, and all of our options, and decided we really needed to buy at Beach Club. Not at all what we expected, but absolutely the right choice.

We definitely want Poly, 100-125 points.
The direct sales person I’ve been talking to seemed to think Poly waitlist would be successful after a short turnaround

:)
thanks

$5,000 dollars or more can pay for a lot of things vs benefits that may come or go. That $220 price direct is a bit cra-cra. (I don't think I've ever typed cra-cra, much less said it but it just seemed sooooo appropriate!)

Will you be buying a lot of AP's?

You still can access TOTWL and pool hop. If you really wanted to you can still trade thru RCI but it's usually best to rent out your points and pay cash elsewhere. 100-150 points doesn't do much towards a cruise, next to nothing towards Adventures by Disney and you can probably do better or just as well if you wanted to stay at a regular Disney hotel.

What does your husband find interesting in the direct benefits? Is a resort with only studios going to work for you? If not then I wouldn't recommend PVB. Will you be able to book during the home priority booking window? If not then you might consider a less costly location although not booking in the home priority window is going to have mixed results depending on when you plan on going.

You should look carefully at the point charts. 100-125 probably won't get you as far as you think. Shortly after buying a first contract, people will often start exploring buying more points, as DVC tends to change the way you travel to WDW.

Fast forward 6 months. You bought 125 points direct, you have all the benefits and then quickly realize you need more points. At that point, your husband will submit that since you have all the benefits, buying resale won't be a bad idea. You find a poly contract for 125 points, just the right number of points you'll need more to squeeze in that extra trip. Then you have that conversation with your husband.

You: You know, at $160/pt, we could've just bought 75 points direct for the benefits.
Husband: Yeah.
Y: We would've saved a ton of money with a 200 resale contract instead from the start.
H: Yeah. I get it.
Y: That's a lot of If only there was a way for us to go back in time and-
H: I MADE A MISTAKE, OK! YOU'RE RIGHT, BUT WE CAN'T GO BACK CAN WE?!
Y: Or can we?

[SFX: dreamy wavey sound]

Buy your resale contract first and if your guide really feels finding you 100-125 points would be easy peasy, finding you 75 should be even easier.

Do you only want to stay in studios? Poly only has studio units, while other DVC resorts have studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, and larger units. Then figure out how many points you will need, ie. enough for 1 week a year or every other year.

The thing that appeals to us about Poly (other than that we love it there, lol) is that it fits five on their lowest point tier room. We have three kids, so the “sleeps four” most resorts have won’t work for us. :)

I would buy a Poly contract resale first then add on the 75 direct if DH really wants the benefits. In my opinion the major direct benefit is the AP discount, and beyond that, the ability to attend the Membership Majic after hours events. If you don't foresee taking advantage of any of those, it's really not worth going direct.

My husband is pretty pro buying direct, his opinion is that if he’s paying that much, he wants all the benefits. I’m tempted by resale’s much lower prices. And the benefits don’t seem super worth the difference...

Sway us one way or the other! Lol
You can do both! Depending upon how many points you want/need you have to have 75 direct to get the benefits, so if in the end you want 200 points you get your 75 direct and 125ish resale. It gets you the benefits and saves you a little money. Of course this all depends on what resort you are talking about. If you are looking at CCV then at this point buying direct makes sense. There are some resorts which are not readily available direct, so going resale might be your only option.

There is no wrong or right way to purchase. There are just some ways which will provide you more savings.

If you are considering cruising or ABD then using your direct points is not a good value so the best way to do this is the rent your points and use the profits to pay for a cruise or ABD.

We went resale, albeit before the change in benefit access. (So I can't use the points for Adventures by Disney, but I do get a membership card.)

I bought all of my properties around 1997-2002 resale. I thought it was before the change in policy so I can use points for Cruises and Adventures by Disney. Am I wrong?

Select the best UY for your vacation patterns.
Buy where you love to stay.
Book at 11 months.
Buy resale if you can.
If you buy additional contracts, keep the same UY and names on deeds.
After buying resale, you can buy a small direct contract for the perks if the perks are something that you will use.
DVD/DVC marketing can change the perks at any time.
Perks and policies tend to change when management changes and DVD/DVC upper management just changed.
Expect to spend more on Disney vacations after you buy DVC.

:earsboy: Bill

I bought all of my properties around 1997-2002 resale. I thought it was before the change in policy so I can use points for Cruises and Adventures by Disney. Am I wrong?

Yes you can.

Then there was the first resale restrictions that prevented new resale buyers from using points for the Disney Collection but resale prior to then was grandfathered in. Then a couple of years ago the newest restrictions that left a group of resale buyers from 2011-2016 who still had incidental benefits and restricted trade, the new resale buyers who have all the new restrictions and the first group of resale buyers who purchased prior to March 2011 who have all the same benefits as direct buyers.

Yes you can.

Then there was the first resale restrictions that prevented new resale buyers from using points for the Disney Collection but resale prior to then was grandfathered in. Then a couple of years ago the newest restrictions that left a group of resale buyers from 2011-2016 who still had incidental benefits and restricted trade, the new resale buyers who have all the new restrictions and the first group of resale buyers who purchased prior to March 2011 who have all the same benefits as direct buyers.

Right. I bought in 2014, so I'm in the middle group.

Expect to spend more on Disney vacations after you buy DVC.

e1c45f7e4cc60d49e38bf98d5131a761.png

We used to go to WDW every five years (with one odd mini-trip due to a work event at KSC). Now the family goes every three and I've done two running trips so far with one more planned, plus at least one Disneyland trip due to 'oh we have extra DVC points'.

The thing that appeals to us about Poly (other than that we love it there, lol) is that it fits five on their lowest point tier room. We have three kids, so the “sleeps four” most resorts have won’t work for us. :)

We love the Poly. Just remember, as the kids get bigger, being stuck with only studios will make it less desirable. We had 3 kids when we bought and as they got older really enjoy having 2 bathrooms and more sleeping surfaces. We also love having access to a full kitchen. Not trying to bash Poly but make sure you understand what it’s missing.

We bought Poly direct right before the sell out of the property (and before the price increase) with incentives, and paid about what re-sale contracts are listing for now. Get all the benefits, etc..and already "saved" a ton of money by utilizing the Platinum pass special they were running last winter.

We went with Poly for all the same reasons mentioned, and plan to use OKW or SSR (or AKL) when we want a 1BR or larger.

I can't see myself paying 220/pt for poly when I could buy direct OKW for much, much less (or many other resorts) with expirations well into the 2050-2060 range direct. Another option would be waiting a few months/weeks? to see what Riviera has to offer.

I am glad we went direct...and while I flirt with making our next purchase resale, I'm more of a "direct" mentality buyer, and I'll leave it at that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter