Buying Direct - Which Resort?

If you are willing to have them put you on a waiting list, you can wait, hopefully, for almost all of the other resorts as soon as they get some inventory purchased back from other people.

From reading some of the posts here, it sounds like one has to jump through a few hoops and wait a long time, to buy non-current resorts directly through Disney. Unfortunately we're not drawn to CCV/Aulani due to location and high MF. Just once I would love to sip cocoa and eat Mickey shortbread, while points get magically loaded in 3 hours.

So, does anyone have tips on whose arm I can twist to sell me some direct March BLT points?

I don’t believe the OP can do it by mail as she is in Australia. Disney can only sell in places they are licensed and, if I recall correctly, I don’t believe they licensed internationally.

Correct. Mouse Sales aren't even allowed to talk to me.

What I'd like to find out is if my husband speaks with a guide at DLR, and direct points are available immediately, could he bring the paperwork back to the hotel for "his wife who is attending a conference to sign", then deliver the paperwork back to the office? Or will I have to present to the office for them to I.D. me? I know we're already in the 2018 UY for March contracts (no hurry to claim 2017 points). But don't mind paying pro rata 2018 MF to get it done now instead of wasting time when we're at WDW in January.

Well then your next choice might be to see if they can just sell it directly to your husband and then consider the possibility of adding both of you at a later date by redoing the contract and reregistering it. I don’t know if that is a problem from Australia. Here in the US it can be done either by the people involved or by one of the many title agencies that deals in Disney vacation club.

Also, if you can’t buy directly from Disney because they are not licensed, internationally, what about other agencies such as some of the resale companies? Are any of them able to handle international sales? I would think so since there are people on this board who purchased their contracts from someone who is overseas.

If you did it that way, you would not get some of the perks such as the discounted annual passes, but you would get your property at a lower price that could help make up for that.

Just bought tickets for our upcoming trip - 10 day magic your way passes was $1750 for 4 people ($2600 when our twins turn 3). We are Australian and plan to take one trip per year. Based on purchasing annual passes every other year (2 trips in 12 months, then 12 months off), we only have to get two rounds of APs to "break even". I'm betting direct perks will continue anyway, as long as resale competition exists.

All of a sudden the cost premium for direct points doesn't look so bad…

So, the question is, which resort?

Also, will my husband be able to purchase a contract in both our names, or would we both need to sign the paperwork? He's making a quick trip to LA this month.

Thank you!
You should be able to give your spouse power of attorney to purchase on your behalf but check it out with DVC prior that POA from Australia will work. The pass savings is $260 per pass if a gold pass works out comparing to a Platinum at full price. So for 4 it's roughly $1000 savings per set if no renewals are applicable. If one can do renewals, the price difference is a little less. So for passes bought every other year renewals are not applicable and it'd take 4 cycles (7-8 yrs) to save $4000 and this assumes that the passes work. Comparing to 2 sets of MYW passes is not apples to apples for this scenario. That's a long time and a lot of planets that have to align. I'd want break even in 3-4 years to justify the added costs using these numbers. As to which resort, it really depends on how you'll use them. I'd wait on Riviera to see what it's like unless you're wanting something difficult like VGF or VGC then I'd take what I could get when I cough get it. Aulani is also a consideration if you'll come through HI at times anyway. If you just want points and the perks, I'd go with SSR with BLT being second cheapest long term for WDW.

Aulani is also a consideration if you'll come through HI at times anyway. If you just want points and the perks, I'd go with SSR with BLT being second cheapest long term for WDW.

Thanks @Dean . I have considered Aulani a few times and always thought twice about it. Those MFs. You strike me as very analytical and pixie-proof. I'm so interested to hear more about your thoughts on Aulani!

Thanks @Dean . I have considered Aulani a few times and always thought twice about it. Those MFs. You strike me as very analytical and pixie-proof. I'm so interested to hear more about your thoughts on Aulani!
I'd likely find a subsidized Aulani contract resale and forgoe the perks.. If you'll use it at times, it's worth considering. I suspect a non DVC timeshare is your best option from Australia for EOY. Otherwise I'd try to get VGC or VGC retail or wait on Riviera if I was set on retail for the perks.

I'd likely find a subsidized Aulani contract resale and forgoe the perks.. If you'll use it at times, it's worth considering. I suspect a non DVC timeshare is your best option from Australia for EOY. Otherwise I'd try to get VGC or VGC retail or wait on Riviera if I was set on retail for the perks.

Would love to get my hands on a subsidized Aulani contract, or a VGC at Fidelity prices. But haven't had any luck scoring either one.

We're a Disney mad family that's held 4-5 APs as foreigners (H.K. and DLR). Even when we do non-Disney trips we often route our travel to tag on a few days at the parks. Have 3 resale contracts already (PVB/BLT/VGF). Figured we might as well go all in and buy a small direct contract. Thanks again for replying.

Would love to get my hands on a subsidized Aulani contract, or a VGC at Fidelity prices. But haven't had any luck scoring either one.

We're a Disney mad family that's held 4-5 APs as foreigners (H.K. and DLR). Even when we do non-Disney trips we often route our travel to tag on a few days at the parks. Have 3 resale contracts already (PVB/BLT/VGF). Figured we might as well go all in and buy a small direct contract. Thanks again for replying.
It takes work, time and initiative plus a little luck to get the best contracts and the best prices. For retail it likely takes calling your guide several times a week for many of the options. For a subsidized Aulani contract it's getting on the email lists and developing a rapport with the resale companies (several at one time).

I think one of the points of possibly buying a small contract direct was a) DVC direct perks for 6 APs (she's a mum of 4 mice = 6 family members) might add up a bit more quickly, and b) needs more points anyway.

My consideration - if those are indeed the issues - is that OP already has 3 resorts resale, and adding a small direct contract to the mix makes more sense at one of the resorts she already owns. With a family of 6, they're in 2BR already, and of the resorts she already owns, BLT direct is considerably more cost-effective. Poly is a non-issue - once you've stayed with laundry in the unit and a full kitchen when you have 4 kids... VGF 2BR are SOOO points costly.

If you decide that you wanted March UY BLT, and your DH is coming to the US soon, I'd suggest getting on the waiting list and telling your guide that he could purchase directly on that date. And if not, that you could sign documents on your next trip in 2019? :confused3

If you decide that you wanted March UY BLT, and your DH is coming to the US soon, I'd suggest getting on the waiting list and telling your guide that he could purchase directly on that date. And if not, that you could sign documents on your next trip in 2019? :confused3

That's the plan we decided on @kboo ! I spoke with a lovely guide recommended by Bing showei to see if she can start looking for some March BLT points now. She has to check with her supervisor if wait listing is allowed, as long as we don't discuss any pricing or buying if the wait list came through. Love the flexible thinking! When I called Mouse Sales they wouldn't even answer non-sales questions.

If no BLT becomes available, we'd go for Oct SSR (the VGF contract is often going to be used for resort hopping to BWV/BCV anyway. That point chart!), failing that wait and see how Riviera pans out.

:scared1: Sacrilege!

Speaks volumes for the deal you snagged. Unreal. Congrats again!
Speaking of which, I was channeling @Mumof4mice on a new VGF contract I just snagged! I haven’t posted it in the ROFR thread because I’m afraid I’ll jinx it, and I’m pretty sure that the deal is even better than I think. So I’m waiting for the closing settlement (that is of course if it passes ROFR) as it involves a credit for 2019 dues (which I didn’t even ask for but the broker suggested adding to the contract) to post the details on the thread. The best part about the whole thing is that I didn’t negotiate a thing. Just came upon the contract sitting and offered full price. I’m still not sure how it wasn’t swooped up before me (I’m pretty sure it had something to do with an error in the original listing, that I kept expecting someone to catch and call me on, but the contract was drawn up with the lower price and everyone signed, so we will see).

Speaking of which, I was channeling @Mumof4mice on a new VGF contract I just snagged! I haven’t posted it in the ROFR thread because I’m afraid I’ll jinx it, and I’m pretty sure that the deal is even better than I think. So I’m waiting for the closing settlement (that is of course if it passes ROFR) as it involves a credit for 2019 dues (which I didn’t even ask for but the broker suggested adding to the contract) to post the details on the thread. The best part about the whole thing is that I didn’t negotiate a thing. Just came upon the contract sitting and offered full price. I’m still not sure how it wasn’t swooped up before me (I’m pretty sure it had something to do with an error in the original listing, that I kept expecting someone to catch and call me on, but the contract was drawn up with the lower price and everyone signed, so we will see).

That's awesome! Look forward to reading the details when you pass ROFR. pixiedust:

In a 4 year period,
- 10 day base tickets once per year: $1760 (2019)+ $1760 (2020) + $2600 (2021) + $2600 = $8720
- 10 day park hoppers once per year: $2000 + $2000 + $3000 + $3000 = $10,000
- 2 sets of APs: $589x4 (2019/2020) + $589x6 (2021/2022)= $5890

Saving of roughly $4000 comparing 4 sets of park hoppers (which we would prefer over MYW tickets) to 2 sets of Gold APs.

This is cheating because you're just comparing the cost of regular tickets vs. annual passes generally. Remember, you don't have to be a DVC member to buy an annual pass-- you can pay full price and it would still be much cheaper than buying two sets of 10 day tickets.

The only thing you're saving being a DVC member is $140 per ticket ($589 for Gold pass vs $729 for Platinum), but even that is not apples to apples because the Platinum doesn't have blockout dates.

The only thing you're saving being a DVC member is $140 per ticket ($589 for Gold pass vs $729 for Platinum), but even that is not apples to apples because the Platinum doesn't have blockout dates.

Platinum AP is $904 with tax. (Unless there's a secret way of getting discount APs that I didn't know about?)

At $904, there isn't enough of a price difference compared to two sets of 10 day tickets from undercover tourist for it to be worth giving up the flexibility for. The end result is, if we can only access the $904 platinum AP, we would just buy tickets each trip.

I think one of the points of possibly buying a small contract direct was a) DVC direct perks for 6 APs (she's a mum of 4 mice = 6 family members) might add up a bit more quickly, and b) needs more points anyway.

A) Yes! We so should have done more Disney before kids. All those opportunities when we could rope drop and stay until close without catering for naps… and we only did single-day visits?

B) Correct again! The option of occasionally "slumming it" in a studio vs one bedroom to stretch points, which non circus-sized families take for granted, will soon be closed to us. :charac2:

Thanks everyone for taking time to answer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter