Buying Disney gift cards with Target gift cards

Update: I just want to tell everyone that the two Target stores near Disney say their policy is that you can not use a gift card to purchase a gift card.
Make sure you cash in before you arrive.

Just want to update this. We had $100 in target cards. We were not sure we would go to WDW this trip. Decided to go to one park so stopped by Target. We were told this policy no longer exists and we could not include the gift cards to purchase a Disney gift card. Anyone else hear about this?

I just went to our Target yesterday and purchased $150 worth of Disney gift cards with a target gift card.

I just went to our Target yesterday and purchased $150 worth of Disney gift cards with a target gift card.
Same here. Bought $500 worth of Disney gift cards using Target gift cards at self checkout yesterday.
Just don't ask any Target employees any questions! You will be told that you can't do it!

What city/state do you live in? I am really frustrated as i turned visa points into target cards to use for disney cards and have been turned down by the two Targets closest to me (one i purchased disney cards from in september with target card). I am in an airline family and am contemplating flying further east to another city to try to use these cards. Fraud is the story I am getting and i was told they havent done it since October. And yet stores across the country are still doing it. One friend suggested it could be a target regional manager who has implemented this policy in SoCal.

What city/state do you live in? I am really frustrated as i turned visa points into target cards to use for disney cards and have been turned down by the two Targets closest to me (one i purchased disney cards from in september with target card). I am in an airline family and am contemplating flying further east to another city to try to use these cards. Fraud is the story I am getting and i was told they havent done it since October. And yet stores across the country are still doing it. One friend suggested it could be a target regional manager who has implemented this policy in SoCal.
Have you tried going through self check out and not talking to any Target employees?

Have you tried going through self check out and not talking to any Target employees?
I have also found that as long as I am purchasing a few other items like milk and bread, then they put it through no questions, but the one time that I tried to do just the disney card by itself they refused to do it.

I have also found that as long as I am purchasing a few other items like milk and bread, then they put it through no questions, but the one time that I tried to do just the disney card by itself they refused to do it.

I tried once at self check out with just the cards and was approached and told gift cards could not be purchased that way. I think buying a few other things may be the way to do it. I need to sharpen my technique for doing so. Someone mentioned having access code handy to plug in, I will do that also. It is just so strange that is appears to be only Southern California that is being refused. Especially frustrating that I have $350 in Target cards especially gathered for this trip

Someone in the Disney Gift Card Deal thread mentioned they got turned away in a couple stores near Disneyland. I'm in Brea, about 15 minutes from Disneyland and I haven't had any issues.

I'm in upstate New York.

Within the last 2 weeks and AFTER someone had mentioned they were getting turned away at stores near Disneyland.

Yes, I saw the turn away post. Is there more than one store in Brea? I will go there tomorrow. Hopefully, it will go well. Thanks for your help.

I did $300 at a time at self check out without any problems last month. This was in NY.

Yup, i may send the cards to my sister who is a flight attendant and lives in Miami. She should be able to find a Target in Florida to purchase Disney tickets but New York can be a back up, thats for sure.
I

Yes, I saw the turn away post. Is there more than one store in Brea? I will go there tomorrow. Hopefully, it will go well. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome and just one Target. Across the street from the mall on Birch. They also have self checkout. There are Disney cards right as you walk in near the service desk, by the greeting cards, electronics/books and throughout check out. Only $50 and $100 denominations. No $25.

Last edited:

I’m out in the Temecula area in Southern California and I have been told there is a district manager policy out here forbidding it because I pushed my local Targets hard when refused and pointed out their corporate policy says nothing against it and individuals representing the corporate level on social media have directly confirmed it is allowed in recent months. I know someone has had success farther south in the San Diego area converting over recently.

Out near WDW, most of the stores near the parks will not allow it either. Some even keep the gift cards up at customer service so you cannot get them and use self-checkout in that area. I did manage to find one near WDW on my last trip this past fall where I could find the Disney GC on the shelves and smuggle it over to self-checkout to use Target GC to purchase with no issues, but self-checkout was not being well looked after at the time so I don’t know if it was an anomaly or not.

I go to the Target at Figueroa and 7th Street in Downtown Los Angeles and the Target near Ontario Mills in Ontario California.

I've NEVER had a problem purchasing Disney Gift Cards with Target Gift Cards in Downtown LA. Last week from the Target in Ontario, despite the computer applying the Target Gift Cards to my balance, it took 2 managers to give the okay to an employee at self-checkout that it was allowed.

From now on I'm going to start taking a receipt with me showing brain dead employees that it is allowed and that they should trust their computer system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter