Buying DVC as a family of 5...limited places to stay?

SunshineSusie

Earning My Ears
Hello!

I am thinking about buying DVC this year - 75 points and had planned on a 150 point trip to WDW every other year. I have 3 kids and we will travel as a family of 5.

When I spoke to the DVC sales person I told him that and that I was needing somewhere that could hold 5 people and he told me a list of places that we could stay in studios and 1 bedrooms but everywhere I look shows that I would need a 2 bedroom because the studios and 1 bedrooms only hold 4 people. The point jump from 1 to a 2 bedroom is quite a big jump and I would need to purchase more points than originally planned.

What do other families of 5 do/stay at?

Thank you ahead of time for opinions on this!

My mother is the one with DVC but we stayed in a 2 bedroom this week at OKW. I can’t say enough good things about it. So, this response is pretty worthless to you since we haven’t stayed in a 1 bedroom or studio there (we have stayed in both at AKL and can’t imagine why you couldn’t put 5 in a 1 bedroom there) but the service has been incredible at OKW, as well as the sheer size of the space. We basically have a 2 bedroom apartment. The suitcases all fit in closets, the huge stroller fits in the hall closet, and it really feels like a home while we have been here. Most other resorts are smaller and more cramped but OKW has been huge and amazing!

Edited to add that we are a group of 5 plus an infant

Hello!

I am thinking about buying DVC this year - 75 points and had planned on a 150 point trip to WDW every other year. I have 3 kids and we will travel as a family of 5.

When I spoke to the DVC sales person I told him that and that I was needing somewhere that could hold 5 people and he told me a list of places that we could stay in studios and 1 bedrooms but everywhere I look shows that I would need a 2 bedroom because the studios and 1 bedrooms only hold 4 people. The point jump from 1 to a 2 bedroom is quite a big jump and I would need to purchase more points than originally planned.

For studios you could stay at GF, Poly, BC, BW, or BRV. Just make sure that you buy at one of those locations if the plan is to stay in studios even though Disney will try to say they only have Copper Creek at WDW.

Sleep 5:

Studios w/ 1 queen bed, 1 double or queen sleeper sofa, and 1 murphy bed under the TV (small twin size bed):
  • Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Boulder Ridge Villas.
  • Storage space is a bit lacking in these as the small murphy bed took up the space where a large dresser once stood.
1 Bedrooms: bedroom w/ 1 queen bed; living room with queen sleeper sofa and twin sofa chair; 2 full baths, full kitchen, laundry:
  • Bay Lake Tower, and Animal Kingdom Villas (but not the value rooms).
1 Bedrooms: bedroom w/ 1 queen bed; living room with queen sleeper sofa and twin sofa chair; 1 full bath, full kitchen, laundry:
  • Old Key West, Grand Floridian

For a family of 5, I'd get enough points to stay in a Bay Lake or Animal Kingdom 1 bedroom in the future--for the 2 full bathrooms. When they're little, you can probably squeeze into the studios.

Hello!

I would look at resale and you could get more points for the same price, a lot more if you look at AKV, OKW or SSR. While I'd recommend against financing, if it's part of the plan you can do so for resale as well. I would not buy at 75 points looking at every 2 years and I would not routinely plan for a studio for 5. What I'd do is map out how many points you need per trip and what unit size you need to accompany that information along the way. Say the kids are all Toddlers, you can likely make do with a studio that sleeps 5. One they are a little older, you may be able to get by with a 1 BR as long as they can all sleep together. Once they can't all sleep together the minimum will likely be the 1BR that have the pull out chair extra or you'll need an air matter or similar. Once that's no longer feasible as they get older, you likely will need a 2 BR then as they aren't all traveling with you then you could go back down in size accordingly. Ages and gender plays a role. A studio for 5 with 3 preteens/teens is not a viable plan IMO.

Hello!

Most 1 bedrooms sleep 4, there is a bed and a sleeper sofa, but the occupancy for the room is 5. One would have to bring bedding and an air mattress for the fifth to sleep on. All rooms are still allowed to have a child under 3 in a pack and play. Many people do this.

I would look at resale and you could get more points for the same price, a lot more if you look at AKV, OKW or SSR. While I'd recommend against financing, if it's part of the plan you can do so for resale as well. I would not buy at 75 points looking at every 2 years and I would not routinely plan for a studio for 5. What I'd do is map out how many points you need per trip and what unit size you need to accompany that information along the way. Say the kids are all Toddlers, you can likely make do with a studio that sleeps 5. One they are a little older, you may be able to get by with a 1 BR as long as they can all sleep together. Once they can't all sleep together the minimum will likely be the 1BR that have the pull out chair extra or you'll need an air matter or similar. Once that's no longer feasible as they get older, you likely will need a 2 BR then as they aren't all traveling with you then you could go back down in size accordingly. Ages and gender plays a role. A studio for 5 with 3 preteens/teens is not a viable plan IMO.
Same price at AKV? Not any more! Have you seen the crazy prices at AKV lately?

For a very very long time, no DVC studio slept 5. VGF was the first resort to introduce the 5th bed in a studio and then 3 renovations (BCV, BWV, BRV) and a new resort (poly) introduced the option for 5 as well. At least now there are some options for a family of 5 in a studio.

Where do you suggest buying?

The problem with CCV - and maybe it's not a problem for you, so I should rephrase that - is that to sleep 5 you must book a 2BR. It is your smallest/cheapest choice. Buying retail points (direct) with intent to switch to a resort that has studios or 1BRs that sleep 5 is not a good idea, in general, because it means you will always be booking at 7 months, and gain no home resort advantage. You can do that far cheaper, with lower dues, by buying at Saratoga or BLT (both of which will sleep 5 in a 1BR). Or you can just buy somewhere that natively sleeps 5 in a studio or 1BR, probably via resale.

The "best" 1BRs that sleep 5 - designated as such because they actually provide BEDS for all 5, not just ability to book 5 and bring your own bed - are at BLT, AKV, OKW and VGF.

1BRs that sleep 5 BYOB are at Saratoga, Boulder Ridge, Boardwalk and Beach Club. Boardwalk, BCV and BRV all expire in 2042, which can be a hangup for some with young families.

Studios that sleep 5 are at Poly, VGF, BWV, BRV and BCV. Worth noting that at Poly, you don't ever have the option of sizing up to a 1 or 2BR later, it's 2 studios or book elsewhere.

What resort really works for you is going to depend on what theme you prefer, where you want home resort, comfort with the expiry date, and comfort with the bedding setup in different accommodation sizes.

And if you are okay both with buying points enough for, and always having to book 2BRs, CCV is a nice resort. But with 5, you never have the option to save points with a studio or 1BR there, and might be looking at a lot of 7-month booking, and challenge getting what you might prefer if you want to book smaller/cheaper units.

As a family of 5 here is my advice....

My kids are 12,10, 8 and we have stayed at GF studio with having trouble. We just bought 180 at AKV since we could get more points for our money and the annual dues are reasonable. We plan to try to find studios that fit 5 for another couple of years and then use AKV 1 bedrooms.

Same price at AKV? Not any more! Have you seen the crazy prices at AKV lately?
This is true! We bought HHI intending to buy AKV second and the prices skyrocketed in a year. Totally been kicking myself. Now we are looking at OKW. It’s our other favorite at the World. If anyone sees a decent OKW extended 150-250 let me know please!

Last edited:
Compared to retail which is what the OP is looking at the statement is accurate even if it’s more than it was.
This is also true. 115 pp compared to 170 direct is still a huge savings. I just can’t get over how much AKV went up.

We are family of 5 and bought in direct at Kidani with the main idea of staying in a one bedroom there since it sleeps 5. So far, we haven't even stayed in a one bedroom there. We usually get a two bedroom or a studio depending on how many of our kids are with us. We also added on resale at BWV and I would suggest buying resale at this point due to the cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter