Buying groceries here or there?

We will be driving down and staying offsite in a condo. Im considering buying as many groceries as space and laws permit in Canada before driving down.

Then upon arrival we pick up the rest.

My reasoning is that it would save on precious vacation time and possible be cheaper due to the exchange.

What says yous?
Be careful what you take across the border. We just did 3 day trip to New york area and were stopped for secondary agricultural check because we had 3 apples and 2 bananas for our day trip drive, and a few sandwiches. Don't lie to border patrol, that ends badly. Packaged products may be ok. They asked us if we had any food with us. If they don't ask you if may not be an issue

Be careful what you take across the border. We just did 3 day trip to New york area and were stopped for secondary agricultural check because we had 3 apples and 2 bananas for our day trip drive, and a few sandwiches. Don't lie to border patrol, that ends badly. Packaged products may be ok. They asked us if we had any food with us. If they don't ask you if may not be an issue
So im aware of no fruits or veg. Kinda ridic they bothered you for a few items that are clearly gping to be consumed on the way.

But you mentioned sandwhiches. We always bring sandwhiches for the drive. Did they bother you about them?

Also thanks everyone for the tips.

Seems like bring basic staples, go to publix for novel variety (and check 2 for 1 deals), aldi for cheap, and avoid walmart crowds.

So im aware of no fruits or veg. Kinda ridic they bothered you for a few items that are clearly gping to be consumed on the way.

But you mentioned sandwhiches. We always bring sandwhiches for the drive. Did they bother you about them?

Also thanks everyone for the tips.

Seems like bring basic staples, go to publix for novel variety (and check 2 for 1 deals), aldi for cheap, and avoid Walmart crowds.
Exactly!

It doesn't really matter where you plan to consume the food, they can't control that, they can only control the entry.

The rules are the rules, except when they aren't really. There is some conflicting information in the 2 documents from US-CBP below. Both reference the APHIS database where you (and the agent) should be checking for admissibility.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1273?language=en_US
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-3619?language=en_US

We bring lots of foodstuffs over regularly. Our car trips to the South and camping in the Adirondacks. We often have a trailer fridge full of food when camping. To err on the side of caution though, we generally just don't bother with produce, especially fruits; it is easy to buy on the other side.

We have brought across raw (frozen or chilled) meats on camping trips without incident (we weren't asked), but would be prepared to surrender if asked. We also usually have cut carrots and celery with dip for snacking (so much for my 'no produce' rule); we have mentioned those more than once and been given a 'no problem'. If you have something with processed meats in it, make sure it is in the original packaging, and bring your grocery receipts for the last couple of weeks as proof of source.

I agree with others about doing groceries in the US, it is very fun and checking out all the stuff we don't have here is awesome. But over my last couple of trips down, the cost of groceries south of the border has inflated dramatically. I mean it has here too, but there were so many things down there that had the same price as in Canada and you still need to add the 35% exchange on the dollar. We are planning a trip in Feb. and we are more than likely going to bring a few things from home rather than buy everything once we get there. This way we can also watch for sales a couple weeks out and probably save ourselves quite a bit. That just leaves us more money for Mickey bars!

I agree with others about doing groceries in the US, it is very fun and checking out all the stuff we don't have here is awesome. But over my last couple of trips down, the cost of groceries south of the border has inflated dramatically. I mean it has here too, but there were so many things down there that had the same price as in Canada and you still need to add the 35% exchange on the dollar. We are planning a trip in Feb. and we are more than likely going to bring a few things from home rather than buy everything once we get there. This way we can also watch for sales a couple weeks out and probably save ourselves quite a bit. That just leaves us more money for Mickey bars!
This is exactly my issue. Used to be american groceries were super cheap and, when you factor in the exchange rate, it was about equal. Now it just seems too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter