BWV add-on

kranzaldua

Mouseketeer
First off, let me apologize, because I'm sure this has been covered in a thread somewhere, but I'm having trouble finding the information. Background: I've been perusing the boards for about a month now because I have the itch to add more points to our current DVC set up. We originally bought resale back in 2015, and I foresee us needing more points as the years go on because we like to invite additional family members to enjoy the fun.

As well as adding more points, I'd like a direct contract, since I realize the rules changed in April of 2016. I was just wanting a small add-on contract. Are these still available for BWV? If so, do I just call the guide and request a point amount and use year? Or do they assign that? I literally have no idea of the process since our 1st contract was resale. Any help would be much appreciate. Thanks!

As I understand it you can buy at BWV but it's $160pp for the 25 year contract. I'm not sure what their minimum number of points is for an add-on there though. If you're certain about direct purchase then a guide can help you, but if not certain I wouldn't want to get on one of their contact lists just yet.

The rules changed and Disney put restrictions on buyers after April but you are already in the included group because of your earlier purchase. Why do you want to buy direct now?

:earsboy: Bill

Blew right past the purchase year. Good call

If you buy resale now, your new pts cannot be used for Disney cruises, Disney hotels or ABD (i.e. trades out of the DVC system).

But those are not a good value anyway. As Bill reminded you, you already get perks like the AP discount and access to the Epcot lounge with your 2015 contract, so yeah, I'd stick with resale.

The rules changed and Disney put restrictions on buyers after April but you are already in the included group because of your earlier purchase. Why do you want to buy direct now?

Well, my main reason looking at it was for the long term. My contract at BWV will expire 2042. So, yeah, until 2042, I'll be grandfathered in to all of the benefits and such- assuming there are any. I know we can't predict the future, but as of now, I see us taking at least a yearly Disney vacation for years & years to come. Our boys are young and one day, we'll have grandkids in the equation, too (though hopefully that is over 10 years away!), because I have 2 older teenage stepdaughters.

I guess I was wanting something with a longer shelf life, which actually answers my question about BWV- since it's only until 2042, I'm not sure why I was wanting to do add-on there, other than it's my home resort. So actually, I would want to add on at BLT or PVB. I was just thinking about doing the 25 add-on direct to hopefully be grandfathered in for those additional 18/24 years. Does it sound like I'm thinking of this correctly?

Last edited:
http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions

Disney's BoardWalk Villas*
$165 base price; 25-point minimum purchase

As Bill reminded you, you already get perks like the AP discount and access to the Epcot lounge with your 2015 contract, so yeah, I'd stick with resale.

I'm a resale guy all the way, but buying a small add-on contract is one of the few times where I wouldn't have any objection to buying direct. It seems so hard to find a small add on contract with the desired resort and UY.

If you buy resale now, your new pts cannot be used for Disney cruises, Disney hotels or ABD (i.e. trades out of the DVC system).

But those are not a good value anyway. As Bill reminded you, you already get perks like the AP discount and access to the Epcot lounge with your 2015 contract, so yeah, I'd stick with resale.

I plan to buy resale for my majority additional points, but I was just wanting a longer shelf life on my DVC member benefits (under the assumption they may continue). My contract expires in 2042, so I was thinking about adding a small add-on to extend the life of my other resale ventures that I plan to obtain. I wasn't clear in my thinking when I was just going to add onto my home resort. I'd have to go elsewhere to extend the date. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your reply.

Unknown what will happen in the future, family changes, vacation habits change, Disney changes. Who knows what resorts will be built between now and when you decide that you are done with Disney.

We aren't really happy with the Disney/DVC direction so we have decreased of Disney vacations, sold some contracts and are now cruising on non DCL boats.

Just be aware that the perks and the rules for qualifying can change at any time for anybody - even direct purchasers.

A longer contract can be appealing but understand that you would not be able to mix points from those new contracts with your BWV pts until the 7 month window.

I plan to buy resale for my majority additional points, but I was just wanting a longer shelf life on my DVC member benefits (under the assumption they may continue). My contract expires in 2042, so I was thinking about adding a small add-on to extend the life of my other resale ventures that I plan to obtain. I wasn't clear in my thinking when I was just going to add onto my home resort. I'd have to go elsewhere to extend the date. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your reply.
I wouldn't compromise just to get a longer RTU. If I wanted more points largely to have access later, I'd either go resale with SSR or BLT or if I were going to buy retail anyway, likely CCV for a fixed week even if it weren't the week I planned to use. Personally I don't think buying now for possible perks for 10-15 years, 25 years down the road is a reasonable choice. I'd buy what I needed wanted now after I looked at all factors and if that meant everything expired 2042, I'd be OK with that. One can always buy later if needed. You can get 1.5 to 2 times the points resale and just buying 25 points in this situation likely isn't reasonable anyway for a different resort.

First off, let me apologize, because I'm sure this has been covered in a thread somewhere, but I'm having trouble finding the information. Background: I've been perusing the boards for about a month now because I have the itch to add more points to our current DVC set up. We originally bought resale back in 2015, and I foresee us needing more points as the years go on because we like to invite additional family members to enjoy the fun.

As well as adding more points, I'd like a direct contract, since I realize the rules changed in April of 2016. I was just wanting a small add-on contract. Are these still available for BWV? If so, do I just call the guide and request a point amount and use year? Or do they assign that? I literally have no idea of the process since our 1st contract was resale. Any help would be much appreciate. Thanks!

To buy direct, all you need do is call the sales number. They will direct you to your guide (I can never remember the name of ours) and the guide will take it from there. You may request the resort and use year. If you want something other than what they are currently selling (Aulani, Poly, CCV), you may have to wait as they may not have the points you want in inventory.

Honestly I would just wait until you're 2042 resort expires and see what DVC is looking like at that point. That is 2 1/2 decades from now and it's hard to predict what it may be or even what new resorts exist. There's a chance that they might even start offering extensions of the 2042 resorts although that is nothing I would consider a definite nor necessarily a strong possibility, but still a possibility. After 2 1/2 decades it's also difficult to say what if any perks will be offered, if they stop the grandfathering, and so on. So I would say only buy for what you need today or in the shorter-term future and just wait and see how things look in 2042. When it gets closer to that end it date you can add on resale or direct, evaluate if there are any perks that have value to you at that time that you want to keep them, and know for certain if Disney vacations are still in the works for you. Right now the reasoning is based on an assumption that DVC will continue with operations in a similar way, but removal of perks from resale is a new thing in the past six years that wasn't done before and who knows what is going to be going on with things like that in 25 years.

Now if part of the reason for this add on is also because you need more points now than that changes the equation a bit but just for perks in 25 years I'd just wait. To get a resort that expires later? 25 points doesn't give you much to take a family so you would be looking at needing more which is also why I would just wait and see what exactly you might be needing as it gets closer to the time and what offerings are.

Honestly I would just wait until you're 2042 resort expires and see what DVC is looking like at that point. That is 2 1/2 decades from now and it's hard to predict what it may be or even what new resorts exist. There's a chance that they might even start offering extensions of the 2042 resorts although that is nothing I would consider a definite nor necessarily a strong possibility, but still a possibility. After 2 1/2 decades it's also difficult to say what if any perks will be offered, if they stop the grandfathering, and so on. So I would say only buy for what you need today or in the shorter-term future and just wait and see how things look in 2042. When it gets closer to that end it date you can add on resale or direct, evaluate if there are any perks that have value to you at that time that you want to keep them, and know for certain if Disney vacations are still in the works for you. Right now the reasoning is based on an assumption that DVC will continue with operations in a similar way, but removal of perks from resale is a new thing in the past six years that wasn't done before and who knows what is going to be going on with things like that in 25 years.

Now if part of the reason for this add on is also because you need more points now than that changes the equation a bit but just for perks in 25 years I'd just wait. To get a resort that expires later? 25 points doesn't give you much to take a family so you would be looking at needing more which is also why I would just wait and see what exactly you might be needing as it gets closer to the time and what offerings are.

This. If just buying direct to extend your existing benefits for 25 years, you may find that there are no more annual passes in 25 years or they take away some other benefit that you care about. I'm not a direct purchase hater at all, but it seems like you'd be better off buying resale unless you really needed a tiny amount of points that isn't often available any other way.

This. If just buying direct to extend your existing benefits for 25 years, you may find that there are no more annual passes in 25 years or they take away some other benefit that you care about. I'm not a direct purchase hater at all, but it seems like you'd be better off buying resale unless you really needed a tiny amount of points that isn't often available any other way.

Tomorrow they could get rid of the discount for APs for everyone. And for those they say "no they won't, its a selling point" imagine that they get rid of the AP discount for everyone, but throw in five years of park tickets while staying on points for anyone purchasing 150 points or more direct. As a corporation, I bet that would be a net gain bottom line promotion for Disney - drive people away from resales, drop the price of the resale market letting Disney buy back more points to sell direct. They could horde BWV points for a while and then (depending on what the legal structure looks like) start to repackage floors of that resort as DVC II buying direct.

Thank you everyone who took the time to reply and share their expertise & opinions about this! I'm going to hold off doing the 25 point add-on for the time being. I will say, if I ever find that perfect resale Poly contract (I've had bad luck on my last 3 offers/dealings!), I will probably do the 25 point add-on there--just in case. I don't see the harm in adding it, assuming by then that the rules haven't changed when that time comes.

I just added on a 75 point contract at BWV and it cost me $105 / point. The extra $60 / point you pay Disney gets you almost nothing. You already have member benefits thanks to your direct contract - so no benefit there. So the only benefit would be the ability to use those points for ABD / Disney Cruises / Concierge collection - all extremely bad uses of points. Much better to rent out valuable BWV points and take the cash to pay for a cruise/hotel whether direct or resale. Your $165 / point contract expires the same year my $105 / point contract does. So all you really are doing is paying an extra $2.40 per point over the life of the contract - or in this example paying an extra $4,500 over the life of the 75 point contract...for essentially nothing. (This is why so many folks are suggesting resale.) Now I'll agree a direct contract has it's merits at places like the Poly and VGF where resale prices are so high, but at BWV..nope...don't do it.

Do you pay closing costs when purchasing direct? Fees on banked points? Just trying to see if a very small add on might be more comparable with a resale purchase.

Do you pay closing costs when purchasing direct? Fees on banked points? Just trying to see if a very small add on might be more comparable with a resale purchase.
Yes, you pay closing costs. Direct doesn't usually get banked points, just current year points for your UY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!