BWV, OKW, or VWL for marathon???

princess angel

**If You Can Dream It, You can Do It**
I'm running the wdw marathon in January!!! :)
we are going down only for the marathon, we will arrive friday noght around 8:30pm at the resort, and are going home monday afternoon!
the sole purpose of this trip is for me to run the marathon, (and dh gets a nice relaxing weekend!!! hmmmm... )

currently, we have BWV booked, but I am undecided if that is truly where we should stay!!??? we love the BWV!!!! but I'm always itching to try diff resorts. we never stayed at OKW (our home resort!! since '97!) or VWL. I want to be very relaxed, but also, I don't want to be so remote that I won't be able to enjoy what little time for fun we will have!!!!
that's why I picked BWV at first, cause I figure we'd be just steps away from fun and parks, and not have to waste time traveling, cause there really won't be any time to waste!!!! :)

we won't have a car! we never rent a car at wdw!! that's one reason why we always stay at the convenient resorts! we'd rather take wdw trans, then drive ourselves!!!

thanks for your opinions!!!!!!!!! help!!! :)

I realize the other dvc resorts may be booked, but don't consider that! I would just go on a wait list, and keep my fingers crossed, if it doesn't open up, we have BWV! which I would never complain about!!!! :)

Laura :)

6 days til Poly concierge!!! yipeeeeeee :) :) :)

If you want relaxing, try OKW. Disney transportation is good from there, and DD is very close for fun without going to the parks.

thanks for the reply!
we do have AP's though, so we will defiantely go to a park for a little while!!!!

any other opinions!!! thanks!! :)

From what I understand, OKW would be the only resort from which you could reasonably walk to the start of the race. Bus transport from other resorts will be packed for this even at this wee hour of the morning. When I did this several years ago I finally gave up on the bus, woke up my friend and had him drive me to the start. This might be a great time for you to break in your home resort.
Have fun, I hope to do this again in 2003.

oh geyser gazer you're scaring me!!! are the buses they send for the marathoners really that crowded??? yikes!!
the last thing I'm going to want that morning is hassle!!!!

anyone else have this experience??? uh oh!

Yes, there will be thousands of people trying to get to the same spot within an hour or so before the start. While I am sure everyone gets there in time, it's hard not to be concerned when the buses get packed and the lines get long. Be ready to leave on the earliest bus and you should be fine except for it being mighty early in the morning. On the bright side, your trip to the start may make your trip to the finish seem like a walk (make that run) in the park (make that parks)!

We were at OKW this past January when the marathon was held. There were a lot of buses comming past the bus stop (non disney buses), and most had no one on them.

Hi princess angel,

DW and I are going down so I can run the 1/2 marathon. Like you and your DH we are only there for the race. Arriving friday late and staying that night offsite, then saturday and sunday nights at OKW, leaving late monday afternoon.

We are staying at OKW because of the lower points. Did not know think it would be an issue about getting to race on time. Does anyone know where the half marathon starts. Is it in EPCOT or the World Showcase. If it is at EPCOT or the World Showcase then walking over from OKW could be a good warmup:)

A bonus is that is the last weekend for the Osborne Lights at MGM. If you have never seen them, try to catch the late Fantasmic and then walk back to Osborne Lights when Fantasmic ends, the park is closed then but they keep the Lights open for a while just for those that stayed for Fantasmic. It's less crowded and thats always a treat :D

Good luck in the race Princess Angel :)

TTFN
TiggerFreak

I don't know if you've checked yet, but I just called MS yesterday to make reservations for a studio for 1/4-1/7 and all I could get was OKW. BWV was sold out and VWL only had a studio for one night and a one bedroom for another night. Luckily we already have our reservations at VWL, but my husband talked his dad into running the marathon with him so we were trying to get a studio for my inlaws at VWL with us. Had to take OKW and get on the wait list at VWL.

we're keeping our ressie at BWV.
the marathon starts at Epcots parking lot (the 1/2 marathon also TiggerFreak!)

thanks for the tip on osborne lights, but actually we're going to wdw thanksgiving week!!! I plan on seeing them then!

thanks everyone!

Laura :) :) :)

i ran last year in the 32 degree weather. It was great for me the support staff was cold. The actual race starts onthe highway that is right in front of OKW. You tack a bus to the epcot parking lot and then walk 3/4 mile to the start. OR sleep later and walk to the start from OKW as my family did. You can see Mickey and the fireworks on the bridges over the road. We didnt have a big problem with the buses but I got there early. The parking lot thing is to turn in any bags for the end of the race. Then you stand around for awhile in a large group. BRING WARM CLOTHES YOU CAN TROW AWAY. The start is the same for both races. There are two corrals and both are mixed, 1/2 and whole.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter