• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BWV or OKW

Eeyore2003

DIS Veteran
My brother mentioned to me about a good deal he had on a 4 bedroom condo or somthing off Disney. I know lots of people say there's no difference off or on, but I'm really an "on Disney" person. I think I'd get depressed having to leave the park everyday. I want to suggest to him perhaps renting points from a DVC owner for the end of August when it's the "Dream" season and he would be able to afford that. There will be 7 of us, so we'd need a two bedroom.

Anyway, what are the pluses and minuses of both so that I can give him an idea of what each would be like for us. To me OKW looks very peaceful and relaxed and of course a little more reasonably priced, but I'm concerned about transportion and the pool doesnt' look as nice for the kids. But then BWV has such a neat pool, and of course you have all the amenities as far as food options and things to do being on the Boardwalk. Also, several possible transportion options. We do have our car though, and we do sometimes drive if we have too to the parks. We will have two kids with us, ages 11 and 7 and it will be their first time at Disney!!! (I can't wait to see thier faces!!! I'm excited about this)

hi: you may want to post this on the dvc board for more responses. the atmosphere at both places is different. okw is more laid-back. the villas are larger. transportation would be by bus or your car for any area except dtd you can either walk,take a boat or a bus for that. the pools are nice, but no slides. points go a bit further here. bwv is about location, location, location! you can walk to either mgm or epcot. there are a lot of wonderful restaurants right there as well. the keister coaster is a neat slide at the main pool; i think the kids will enjoy it. the rooms are a bit smaller than at okw, and the points are a bit more as well. one other thing to consider is how much time will be lost each day if you stay offsite. it's much harder to take a break back at the resort if you are off site. just my 2 cents- it's all personal preference.

One thing to consider - the second bedroom at OKW has 2 queen beds. The second bedroom at BWV has 1 queen bed & a double pullout. Also, at OKW there is a love seat & pullout sofa in the living room and BWV there is just a pullout sofa, no loveseat. The kitchen area is also larger at OKW. With 5 adults & 2 kids, I would go for the extra room at OKW.

There is also a possibility if you rent points you will be able to "pool hop". Technically renters are not given DVC priviledges but if your resort ID card says *dvc member* you can pool hop to all pools except AKL and YC/BC (except during holiday periods).

We have stayed at both. Love Boardwalk for the location, pool. OKW is very relaxing, and huge rooms. Since you have a car, transportation isn't as much of an issue (we liked driving more when we stayed at OKW, and parking was much better there than at BW). Actually, we have found bus transportation at both resorts "spotty" on our trips.

When I was talking to my sister about this same dilemma, she said "you always talk about OKW, stay there." With that many people, I'd say stay at OKW, as your villa will be much larger. We are going to have 7 people (11, 13, 17, 18, 32, 35 & 60) as well on our August trip, and when I told my mom the differences in size, she wanted to stay at OKW. I was worried about the OKW pool as well, but since we will be using UPH, the kids will be going to the waterparks a lot.

Good luck...

Thanks, I think I will post this on the DVC board too. I'm trying to explain added time in getting out of Disney, off to wherever this condo is and then back. Like you said wdwnut, my personal opinion is that it would be more time consuming. PLUS, you can get an awful lot done and an awful lot more money out of your pass if you can take advantage of Extra Magic Hour!!! BIG perk!!! IMHO!!!

DH and I have already talked about it and decided that maybe we'll stay "on site" and they can stay off if they want. They of course want to take a vacation together, but they also want to take advantage of all my Disney experience and research. Not a good sign when they already are not taking my advice on what I think is the best place to stay, on or off. Oh well, I'd really love to do it, but if it gets too "hairy" I'll just tell them they can go themselves. They're thinking of Disney like a Great America, and I keep telling them that's like comparing apples to oranges!!! It's one thing to "go to" Disney, it's another thing to "experience" all 'Disney has to offer!!! Just MHO!!!

Having stayed at OKW and visited the BWV, I can give you some pros and cons of both –

Boardwalk Villas
Pros
  • Location, location, location! You’re next to Epcot & MGM, and have dozens of dining options
  • Receives a four mug rating on the Mug Man Resort Rating Scale
Cons
  • Only one elevator for the whole building!
  • Rooms are smaller and pricier
  • Small, almost useless balcony
  • Parking can be a hassle if you have a car

Old Key West
Pros
  • Very large rooms – the largest on the property!
  • Cheaper than Boardwalk Villas
  • Park right outside your door!
  • Large, screened-in balcony with table, chairs, and a ceiling fan!
  • Jacuzzi in the master bedroom!
Cons
  • Location, location, location! You’re next to nothing, and will need to rely on Disney Transportation
  • Receives a one mug rating on the Mug Man Resort Rating Scale

Personally, I would sacrifice the convenience of BWV for the size of OKW, but if there are many kids, go with BWV. Being so close to two parks is a real plus!

Good luck!

Most times the BWV fills up seven month out and will not be available in August. Take OKW, the rooms are 25% cheaper and 25% bigger. Great resort, especially with a car.

nuthut, could you please tell me what "seven months out" means. I am not looking for this summer, this would be summer 2004.

Originally posted by Eeyore2003
nuthut, could you please tell me what "seven months out" means. I am not looking for this summer, this would be summer 2004.

In regards to your question above.......... If you rent points from a DVC owner, he has to own at BWV's to be able to make reservations at the 11 month window(earliest).

If the person you are renting from doesn't have the BWV's as a home resort, he can't make reservations for you until the 7 month window. ;)

DVC members can make reservations at their home resort (resort where they own points) at 11 months and all others at 7 months. So if you want to stay at OKW in June 2004, an OKW member can make a reservation in July 2003, a BWV member would have to wait until November 2003. Some members own at more than 1 resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter