BWV Studio-Standard View Availability?

Araminta18

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking of renting DVC points for the first time for mid-Sept 2018 for my birthday. My husband and I would love to stay in a Boardwalk Studio, Standard View, and are planning to rent through one of the agencies. I know these are popular--I guess I'm looking for reassurance that the odds are good we can get what we want if we request it 11 months out? Or would it be easier to get a preferred view studio? Any thoughts/comments?

It could be difficult, as F&W will be on and the Std views go quickly. You would need to have a renter ready to book right at 11 months to have a shot.

I'm thinking of renting DVC points for the first time for mid-Sept 2018 for my birthday. My husband and I would love to stay in a Boardwalk Studio, Standard View, and are planning to rent through one of the agencies. I know these are popular--I guess I'm looking for reassurance that the odds are good we can get what we want if we request it 11 months out? Or would it be easier to get a preferred view studio? Any thoughts/comments?
Odds will depend highly on the agency actually having a BWV owner who can book the reservation for you at 11 months. If you were dealing directly with a BWV owner, I'd say your odds are between fair and good. Going through an agency, I'd put your odds at fair at best.

Odds will depend highly on the agency actually having a BWV owner who can book the reservation for you at 11 months. If you were dealing directly with a BWV owner, I'd say your odds are between fair and good. Going through an agency, I'd put your odds at fair at best.

Hmm, thank you for the information! I guess that's a question I'd need to ask the agency--if they have a BWV owner ready to book. Booking through an agency appeals 'cause it just seems easier, but I'll have to start looking at the "points for rent" posts on the rent/trade boards as well. Thank you for the info!

Hmm, thank you for the information! I guess that's a question I'd need to ask the agency--if they have a BWV owner ready to book. Booking through an agency appeals 'cause it just seems easier, but I'll have to start looking at the "points for rent" posts on the rent/trade boards as well. Thank you for the info!
They're likely to tell you that inventory changes daily. Because in all seriousness, most DVC owners booking via an agency are not going to be stalking at 7:58AM for a booking. There's at least one broker who won't take requests for BWV Standard or AKV Value/Club because it's just not realistic to budget against as a renter.

The problem with the agencies (from an owner's POV) is that they don't pay enough to owners at "preferred" resorts like BWV or VGF to make it worth their effort to commit their points 11 months in advance. I could get paid $14/pt. now or wait for 4 or 5 months to decide to rent out my points via an agency and still get $13/pt. In the meantime, the agency collects 100% of the renter's fee but only sends the owner 60%-70% of it immediately while holding the rest until the guest checks in. While it protects the renter, as an owner would you want to provide a "product" and then wait up to 11 months to be fully compensated for it?

Let me be clear, I don't fault the rental agencies for making a buck. I think they provide a service to both the owner and the renter. I'm just explaining why you (and a lot of others looking to rent popular resorts at a popular time) will encounter difficulty securing that coveted reservation at 11 months.

They're likely to tell you that inventory changes daily. Because in all seriousness, most DVC owners booking via an agency are not going to be stalking at 7:58AM for a booking. There's at least one broker who won't take requests for BWV Standard or AKV Value/Club because it's just not realistic to budget against as a renter.

The problem with the agencies (from an owner's POV) is that they don't pay enough to owners at "preferred" resorts like BWV or VGF to make it worth their effort to commit their points 11 months in advance. I could get paid $14/pt. now or wait for 4 or 5 months to decide to rent out my points via an agency and still get $13/pt. In the meantime, the agency collects 100% of the renter's fee but only sends the owner 60%-70% of it immediately while holding the rest until the guest checks in. While it protects the renter, as an owner would you want to provide a "product" and then wait up to 11 months to be fully compensated for it?

Let me be clear, I don't fault the rental agencies for making a buck. I think they provide a service to both the owner and the renter. I'm just explaining why you (and a lot of others looking to rent popular resorts at a popular time) will encounter difficulty securing that coveted reservation at 11 months.

Thank you both--this is very helpful! I have my heart set on BoardWalk, so if I need to do a little more work (as opposed to renting through an agency), I'm glad to know now, rather than trying to book at the 11 month mark through an agency and finding it's all gone. Based on your comments, I'm assuming that I may actually want to talk to an owner now or in the next month or so, so we can agree on something and have it all set, ready to be booked at the 11 month mark? I was thinking that lining something up now might be a bit too early, but maybe not?

Last edited:
Thank you both--this is very helpful! I have my heart set on BoardWalk, so if I need to do a little more work (as opposed to renting through an agency), I'm glad to know now, rather than trying to book at the 11 month mark through an agency and finding it's all gone. Based on your comments, I'm assuming that I may actually want to talk to an owner now or in the next month or so, so we can agree on something and have it all set, ready to be booked at the 11 month mark? I'm looking to book Sept 14, 2018, and was thinking that lining something up now might be a bit too early, but maybe not?
Take the time to familiarize yourself with the Rent/Trade board. Read the threads to see how owners respond to potential renters. You'll get a feel for how the rental process works just by lurking. If you see a BWV owner on there that you think you might be able to work with, there's no harm in contacting them. However, you're 16 months away from your proposed stay. It's too early to book and if an owner is posting now, they aren't looking to rent their points out 5 months from now. They'll likely prefer a renter who is ready to book (and pay) now to one who won't be booking for several months and may change their mind in the interim.

Take the time to familiarize yourself with the Rent/Trade board. Read the threads to see how owners respond to potential renters. You'll get a feel for how the rental process works just by lurking. If you see a BWV owner on there that you think you might be able to work with, there's no harm in contacting them. However, you're 16 months away from your proposed stay. It's too early to book and if an owner is posting now, they aren't looking to rent their points out 5 months from now. They'll likely prefer a renter who is ready to book (and pay) now to one who won't be booking for several months and may change their mind in the interim.

Thank you again for the information--I really appreciate you taking the time to walk me through this; it's one of the things I like best about the disboards, the willingness of the more experienced posters to help out newbies. I've been reading the Point Rental Primer thread and other ones linked on their, and I'll start lurking on the rent/trade board. Much appreciated!!

One thing you want to know. Do not respond to private messages from "owners" offering you their points since you included information in this thread. There are rules on the Rent/Trade Board to help protect renters from scammers.

One thing you want to know. Do not respond to private messages from "owners" offering you their points since you included information in this thread. There are rules on the Rent/Trade Board to help protect renters from scammers.

Thank you! Edited my post above.

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I just wanted to say thank you again to the posters for the information on this thread. Because of the info and the help, I found an owner on the Rent/Trade boards and as of this morning, booked at Boardwalk Villas with a Boardwalk view studio. I'm super excited!! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter