CAA? Worth it?

Would you join CAA if you didn't need roadside assistance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have it and have only ever used it for roadside assistance once or twice in the 10 or so years we have had it.. we always use it for hotel discounts.. theme park and local attractions here in Ontario.. plus like a few other posts have said I love maps and their guide books.. knowing I can walk in and grab maps and books for free is great.. I don't think a lot people realize how many places actually give a CAA discount

Thanks for all the awesome posts, everyone - looks like I started quite the conversation!

I think I will hold off for now as we get most of the discounts mentioned through other means.

We had older vehicles for awhile and CAA came in handy a few times for us. Towing, battery, etc. My husband has a new car now but mine's a 2009. I still have CAA on mine and was glad I did last weekend. We were in Ottawa overnight and the cold "froze" the oil. We didn't know what was wrong and had to call CAA to come out.

I usually don't find the discount on hotels to be much with CAA. A few dollars, literally. Now having said that, a few days ago I booked a hotel in FLL and the discount was significally different! From $240 to $216 US funds with AAA/CAA. That made me happy! I booked our friends' room under my name as well so they can take advantage of the discount.

You guys still use TripTiks and maps?!?? I ordered some a few years ago and they just too space in the car... Now we use our GPS, NextExit app (no data needed) and Waze (DH's data plan is a North American plan).
@isabellea can you confirm the name of the app you are using, and the platform (Android or iPhone)? Tried finding the app in the Google play store, and there is an app named Next Exit but with very low downloads and abysmal rating. The iExit app looks much better. Sorry, guess that is a bit of a hijack!

ETA: For the record, I have CAA Plus RV, but mostly for the trailer towing coverage. I also have included coverage through my TD Visa, but it doesn't cover trailers. Vehicle is coming up on 6yrs with 125,000km (4 or 5 trips south now).

Service has been good in the summer, only used once for a blowout on the trailer. My experience in the recent cold snap was not as good. It was a 36hr wait for a boost, anytime from 8AM to 8PM the following day. I drove to Canadian Tire when DW got home a bought a new battery instead. CAA does have a battery service, but won't service my model of vehicle.

@isabellea can you confirm the name of the app you are using, and the platform (Android or iPhone)? Tried finding the app in the Google play store, and there is an app named Next Exit but with very low downloads and abysmal rating. The iExit app looks much better. Sorry, guess that is a bit of a hijack!

ETA: For the record, I have CAA Plus RV, but mostly for the trailer towing coverage. I also have included coverage through my TD Visa, but it doesn't cover trailers. Vehicle is coming up on 6yrs with 125,000km (4 or 5 trips south now).

Service has been good in the summer, only used once for a blowout on the trailer. My experience in the recent cold snap was not as good. It was a 36hr wait for a boost, anytime from 8AM to 8PM the following day. I drove to Canadian Tire when DW got home a bought a new battery instead. CAA does have a battery service, but won't service my model of vehicle.

That’s the app we use: the Next EXIT by the Next EXIT, inc. https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/the-next-exit/id336836298?mt=8

We use it to plan our stops. I like that we can see what is coming in 100 or 200 miles and everything they list is close to the actual exits. It’s extremely basic and you do need to pay for the service but since we travel a lot to the USA, we find it’s worth it for us. We can also suspend our membership if we take a lobg break from traveling. You can also buy a book that does the same thing than the app.

DH also went to Canadian Tire just before Christmas to buy a new battery (he changed it himself for the first time thanks to youtube) instead of waiting for CAA.

That’s the app we use: the Next EXIT by the Next EXIT, inc. https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/the-next-exit/id336836298?mt=8

We use it to plan our stops. I like that we can see what is coming in 100 or 200 miles and everything they list is close to the actual exits. It’s extremely basic and you do need to pay for the service but since we travel a lot to the USA, we find it’s worth it for us. We can also suspend our membership if we take a lobg break from traveling. You can also buy a book that does the same thing than the app.

DH also went to Canadian Tire just before Christmas to buy a new battery (he changed it himself for the first time thanks to youtube) instead of waiting for CAA.
Found it in the Play Store. I'm thinking they JUST release it for Android. Just over 100 downloads so far, only 3 ratings (2.3/5 average), so not off to a good start. I'll keep an eye on this one though. I have heard the book is quite good, and if the Android version improves by my next trip maybe I'll spring for the $13.99 purchase/subscription (they don't really say). But my biggest use would probably be for the gas prices that I get for free now on GasBuddy.

You guys still use TripTiks and maps?!?? I ordered some a few years ago and they just too space in the car... Now we use our GPS, NextExit app (no data needed) and Waze (DH's data plan is a North American plan).
Hundreds of miles of this drive we are doing will be with no cell service in the middle of nowhere (both on the TransCanada, and through Montana and the Dakotas in the States). I will feel way better having the maps... it’s also a huge bonus that the trip tiks will include updated contstruction and road closure information. My GPS is pretty good in most instances but has been known to send me in some non sensical directions and the last update I can get for it is 2013 (we don’t have built in nav). I will use my phone 90% of the time, but it’s not convenient or the better option for this trip.

I should mention too that although the car isn’t even 3 years old until May we have driven it heavily .. we are at 106,000kms in less 2 years 8 months . We went to go to the grocery store today and could immediately tell something was wrong .. we are pretty sure after some research that it’s a wheel bearing... and our comprehensive warranty was up 6,000 km’s ago. Sigh. Looks like CAA is a good idea again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter