Cabana Bay vs. off-site near entrance

embracejg

Mouseketeer
I'm weighing the pros and cons of Cabana Bay versus staying in hotel *just* off-property on Kirkman or Major Blvd, like the Holiday Inn or Best Western. One of the biggest pros of staying on property--being close to the parks--actually doesn't seem to matter because the Holiday Inn and Best Western are about the same walking distance to CityWalk as CBBR. Other on-property perks, like early admission to Wizarding World, seem unnecessary for weekdays in early November when we're going.

The other hotels, however, are obviously cheaper, offer king beds unlike CBBR as well as a hot breakfast included with our stay.

Anyone want to offer their experiences staying in these non-Universal hotels which are within walking distance of Universal?

Depends on how long you will stay. We are staying for 2 weeks at CB and got a great deal in my mind on tickets to the parks (along with the stay more save more thing).

There's nothing wrong with staying at the discount chains off property. The hotels just aren't as nice. The pools and other amenities aren't as nice. They don't have transportation that runs every 10 minutes or so.

We're staying 4 nights, with 3 of our days dedicated to Universal (including our fly home day) and 1 in Disney. I have an annual pass, so tickets aren't a draw---plus, the packages wouldn't be saving me any money.

The key difference to me is already in the use of wording; hotels off-site. The on-sites are all resorts. They include awesome pools, gym, bars, restaurants and transportation.

I walked back to CB one night at the end of the day, and boy was it a long walk. I was seriously dragging my butt down the final hallway. The transportation within the Uni bubble is a biggie for me as I get older.

Last year we stayed 10 days in CB for about $120 per night, and that was a family suite. I did not even look at the off-site pricing after I saw that.

I recently stayed at Clarion Inn and Suites Orlando offsite and I thought it was fairly nice. I basically only slept in it and was able to walk to parks in maybe 20 minutes depending on traffic lights. I would have loved to stay onsite, it just wasn't in the budget. Guess I would weigh the onsite benefits vs price difference.

I have told friends and newbies that ask in the Dis, that Drury Inn is decent
and affordable

They allow discounts for various ones, free shuttle to the parks for morning afternoon and early evening
I used AAA for a 15-% discount

The hotel is about one mile away from UO
Last I heard, no parking fees for registered guests

Lynx or uber would be cheap from this place to the parks

Breakfast set up has hot and cold dishes
Free soda all the time
At ( think) 3, fresh popcorn made in the lobby

Nice beds and linens, clean rooms

Dinner hour I liked at the one I stayed in at St. Louis year before last
Hot dogs, soup, Nachos, hot liquid cheese, salad fixing bar, hot and cold dishes nightly

This chain handles the hotels and their perks the same no matter which DI you stay at

I would not walk to the park from here
Anything over 6 blocks, I would use the shuttle
But I go solo and don't like to walk alone more than 6 blocks

I have stayed some years back at the hotels across from the park for the last night in town

But now most of my trips are solo, keep my entire stay onsite in one hotel
And.... I prefer staying onsite at a deluxe

OP - I'm debating same thing for our upcoming trip. :D Only mine is just 2 nights. Last Feb, we stayed at RPR w/AP discount and thought it was worth every cent for those EPs and the atmosphere of the hotel. :lovestruc

This time, RPR has no AP rate for std rooms on my dates and EP isn't good for HHN anyhow -so going lower budget. Booked both CB and Best Western and still debating. It's a pretty big difference between the two for just 2 nights - about $145 - considering I won't be spending much time at the hotel, both are in walking distance and we have our own car. That $ could go towards HHN express pass, dinner, whatever. (Plus BW throws in free breakfast.)

I'm leaning towards BW this time...but we're going back in Feb to RPR, so I have more reason to cut back this trip.

The doubletree has offered some very competitive rates, including hilton honors for dates I've priced. Never stayed there but tempted if no room @ the inns w/FotL perk

HI
My wife and I stayed in Cabana Bay last year. We were not impressed and actually felt claustrophobic in our room. The walk to the park is long and the shuttles don't run every 10 minutes as a PP eluded to. The pool is OK. We did enjoy the movie out at the pool.
They charge you $20+ per day to park your car at the hotel that you are paying to stay at.

After this, I would take an offsite before I stay at CB again.

If you do stay, look for the hidden Mickey on the ground floor. I got a kick out of that one.

Onsite all the way. The bubble is awfully nice. Give me the ability to resort hot, walk to Universal, send purchases back to the hotel, early entry, charge back to the room... we liked Cabana Bay. The family suite is well laid out and gives just a nice big of extra space.

HI
My wife and I stayed in Cabana Bay last year. We were not impressed and actually felt claustrophobic in our room. The walk to the park is long and the shuttles don't run every 10 minutes as a PP eluded to. The pool is OK. We did enjoy the movie out at the pool.
They charge you $20+ per day to park your car at the hotel that you are paying to stay at.

After this, I would take an offsite before I stay at CB again.

If you do stay, look for the hidden Mickey on the ground floor. I got a kick out of that one.

Cabana Bay`s parking is cheaper than that. $12 plus tax a night, which gives you 2 full days parking.

Just so no one is confused :)

We stay off-site on arrival day, then move to an on-site hotel. Saves us a few dollars.

We don't use any of the hotel amenities - not interested in a pool, don't go to bars, not going to the gym, don't care about themeing... but we do love the boat transportation at the hotels that have it. We always do early entry, and we love the unlimited EP (again, at the hotels that offer it).

We take mid-day breaks, so walking to and from the hotels seems like it would be more work than the break would be worth. And the last thing I want to do at the end of a long park day is more walking to get back to the hotel.

We haven't stayed at CB yet.

Looking at all of the items you listed out, off-site might work for you. You're willing to walk and the distances aren't much different, early admission isn't important to you, nor are the CB amenities.

Based on all of that, I would probably choose off-site, get the free breakfast, and save some money.

I'm leaning towards CBBR just for the experience of an on-site resort. Haven't stayed in anything on-site since my parents took me to Disney as a youth (Wilderness cabins in 94, Polynesian in 2000 and then Boardwalk Villas in 2005). This is my third trip to Universal Orlando this year--the other two being a few extra days added to work trips--and the first for my girlfriend, who would really like the convenience of being able to walk to the parks. I was surprised by a recent Tim Tracker video that showed just how close the Holiday Inn on Kirkman is to the entrance, and it's at half the price of APH rates at CBBR. But I may just give the on-site resort a shot this time just for that experience.

I really liked staying onsite at Cabana Bay. The resort is fun and has a lot going for it in my opinion. My number one like was the comfortable beds - sooo much nicer than Disney value resorts - and I am a total Disney resort fan. The buses were convenient and frequent plus sometimes I would walk to Sapphire Falls for the boat if I didn't mind a walk.

Last month I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Universal Blvd and I was happy with it! I am a stay-on-property type gal, but for $74 a night, comfy beds, hot breakfast, and a 5 minute drive to the Parking deck, I couldn't pass it up! It is a basic hotel, nothing fancy, small pool, but for a quick weekend trip with my Annual Pass, I enjoyed it! So much so, that we have booked a room there Sept. 21-24 for HHN 27! For our longer, family vacations we really prefer Cabana Bay Beach Resort (small kids and teens here) because it is SO nice to have that transportation and pools.

I do wonder if anyone has experience taking Uber from an off-site to UOR? I am looking to do this for HHN, in case we decide to have a drink or two! I am curious as to where they can pick up and drop off guests? Is it in the same area that the buses let out? I have never used Uber so I am clueless!

Suggest you have uber drop you off / pick you up at front of hrh as you will be very close to the studios

If you have the drop off or pick up at start of city walk, longer walk for you and more peeps there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter