Calculating DVC annual pass refund

dsnymnkyuncle

Mouseketeer
Good Morning;

It hit me yesterday how much time, money and cast member hours are being used to answer the same basic questions on these refunds. I don't code but it sure seems to me that a calculator could have been added that pulled the original expiration date, and price then presented the refund amount immediately. I know that after spending hours of my own time on hold or trying to get to chat only to find out I have to ask for the refund blind that this is a fairly obvious waste of resources from a disney business pov.

So now I am trying to figure out why Disney has not just done the simple, obvious and far cheaper thing and instead wastes countless hours for frustrated owners and I am sure cast members. In my chat the same cast member provided me 2 different methods to calculate the refund.....super frustrating

The only reason I can come up with, and I am open for ideas hence the post, is there is something in the calculation that Disney does not want people questioning.

Good question! Obviously they must have a program already since they are already giving refunds. I find it hard to believe they are all manually calculated.

I think because of closure and black out dates it’s not as simple as it may sound. Also people could choose different options for partial and full. I think there is also something in regards to when the refund starts.

Of coursE, it seems like it could be easily done. But not all areas have been fully called back and it may have simply been easier to do it this way.

I am afraid estimation means just that: our estimated refund can change once billing goes through each one beginning August 12.

I think because of closure and black out dates it’s not as simple as it may sound. Also people could choose different options for partial and full. I think there is also something in regards to when the refund starts.

Of coursE, it seems like it could be easily done. But not all areas have been fully called back and it may have simply been easier to do it this way.

This kind of thing quite worries me For PR and extending my gold pass was not docked black out dates that I could find. But these types of things add up when the difference is giving a way a day (for example) during a month I have never attended WDW and getting money

I appreciate the attempt to help. But notice it is not about cancelling annual passes but only about a partial refund. I paid in full, not payments. Instead of providing a link or an app to calculate the refund it acknowledges each pass is unique. This, of course, is patently and obviously absurd. Even if true, which it is in now way, there are only a few variables that would have to be pulled, on the secure disney site that already has that information. ALL of that information. Most of the factors given are not relevant now and not really relevant then. Clearly the price paid reflects new or renewal. It reflects DVC or FL discount.

This would seem to give gold pass holders a higher daily refund because black out dates don't count

I’m an Annual Passholder who opted to cancel my annual pass, and I may be eligible for a refund. How will annual pass refunds be calculated?
A.

If you elected to cancel your pass(es), here’s how your refund will be calculated:
Partial Refund Eligibility/Calculation

• The refund amount, if any, for each pass circumstance is unique and based on factors such as: new or renewal, down payment amount, refunds to date, activation date, etc.
  • If the total amount that you paid for your pass(es) (minus any refunds already given and any payments waived, returned or not collected) exceeds the “usable value” (see below) of your pass(es), that excess will be refunded to you.
  • The usable value of your pass(es) equals the total sale price of your pass(es) multiplied by the number of days that you could have visited any park prior to March 16 and divided by the total number of access days to any park permitted under the pass(es) at pass activation.
  • If you made a payment between July 11, 2020 and August 11, 2020 or a payment between March 14, 2020 and April 4, 2020 that was not already refunded, your refund will be at least the amount of any such payment(s).

This kind of thing quite worries me For PR and extending my gold pass was not docked black out dates that I could find. But these types of things add up when the difference is giving a way a day (for example) during a month I have never attended WDW and getting money

I also got the credit for the block out dates....but I realized after that you still get 365 days on a pass...just can’t use them certain das.

With the extension, though, I now have block out dates for December so in the end, I think it’s a wash.

Given all the passes they have, it sounds like they decided manual type of system would be the best,

So do you automatically lose your TiW discount benefits, if you cancel your AP? Even though TiW are only offering an extension and not a refund? I think that you have to show your AP when you present your TiW card.

So refund is Cost of pass - Usable Value of pass and any refund already received. Usable value is described as the total sale price of your pass(es) multiplied by the number of days that you could have visited any park prior to March 16 and divided by the total number of access days to any park permitted under the pass(es) at pass activation.

I have a gold pass activated on 7/7/19. My refund comes to $156.38 by me excel spread sheet. The black out dates make it a little tricky.

Last edited:
So do you automatically lose your TiW discount benefits, if you cancel your AP? Even though TiW are only offering an extension and not a refund? I think that you have to show your AP when you present your TiW card.
I never had to show my AP when using TIW. Only an ID.
Same here - just show ID only when using TIW. You just won’t be able to buy a new TIW card until you have another AP (or other status that allows you to buy one, such as DVC ownership).

Has anyone gotten info on whether the expiration date currently in MDE is the correct one? The emails and phone messages all say that the pass will be extended an additional 30 days/1 month "in the coming weeks." So, for example, if the expiration right now says March 15, 2021, does that mean it will be extended to mid-April, or is that the already extended date? (This matters because we are hoping to take a trip at the end of March....) Thanks!

Has anyone gotten info on whether the expiration date currently in MDE is the correct one? The emails and phone messages all say that the pass will be extended an additional 30 days/1 month "in the coming weeks." So, for example, if the expiration right now says March 15, 2021, does that mean it will be extended to mid-April, or is that the already extended date? (This matters because we are hoping to take a trip at the end of March....) Thanks!
My expiration reflects the extra 30 days, and has for some time. Can't say if they are done updating everyone, though.

Mine only shows the original extension. I was under the impression that they were not adding the additional 30 days until some future date that fell after the refund option time but since Carols has been changed I guess they're doing some other arbitrary option. ??? I know my first extension showed up several days after others started seeing it. Original set to expire the end of Sept.

My pass has the additional month already. When did your pass originally expire? It’s about 5 months total that should be added to passes when it’s all done.

My expiration reflects the extra 30 days, and has for some time. Can't say if they are done updating everyone, though.
Mine only shows the original extension. I was under the impression that they were not adding the additional 30 days until some future date that fell after the refund option time but since Carols has been changed I guess they're doing some other arbitrary option. ??? I know my first extension showed up several days after others started seeing it. Original set to expire the end of Sept.

On the phone with them now. They're saying mine already reflects the additional 30 days, even though the recording suggests it's "coming" ... after canceling 3 trips, trying to manage our AP renewals (1 kid isn't on the same renewal schedule), I can't remember when the original dates were! Sigh.

On the phone with them now. They're saying mine already reflects the additional 30 days, even though the recording suggests it's "coming" ... after canceling 3 trips, trying to manage our AP renewals (1 kid isn't on the same renewal schedule), I can't remember when the original dates were! Sigh.

I used a date calculator...

Take 30 extra days off and calculate from there. The parks were closed a total of 116 days (March 16 - July 10, 2020)

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadded.html?m1=7&d1=11&y1=2020&type=add&ay=&am=&aw=&ad=286&rec=

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter