California Grill Brunch Question

DeniseJH

DIS Veteran
Hi!

Is the first part of the meal still buffet style? On this site that part of the menu reads "for the table", and another site says "small plates". To me this would mean that you order these in the same way as the entrees. Has anyone been there recently to confirm this is the case? Thank you!

Denise

Hi!

Is the first part of the meal still buffet style? On this site that part of the menu reads "for the table", and another site says "small plates". To me this would mean that you order these in the same way as the entrees. Has anyone been there recently to confirm this is the case? Thank you!

Denise
The buffet is set when you arrive and replenished as necessary.

At one time, a bread & muffin basket was brought to your table.

On our most recent visit, the bread, muffins, and breakfast pastry were along the buffet, not brought by our Server/Waiter (although, they will gladly bring it for you).

Then you receive the main dish - the entree you ordered.

When you are done with your entree, your Server/Waiter will then bring you an additional 'small plate' with sweets for dessert.

After a plate of pancakes and/or french toast (because you can order more than one entree), many people would prefer bring home those sweet treats. Frankly, they'd give a 'doggie bag' for most anything is you ask nicely.

It is way too much food.....but still amongst the best and most satisfying meals we have consistently had at Disney.

Thank you! This is our most looked forward to meal for our upcoming trip. I've seen the online menus before...I guess I just never took note of the wording. When reading through again the other night they both just seemed odd, and I was wondering if something had changed. Glad it hasn't! :earsboy:

Thank you! This is our most looked forward to meal for our upcoming trip. I've seen the online menus before...I guess I just never took note of the wording. When reading through again the other night they both just seemed odd, and I was wondering if something had changed. Glad it hasn't! :earsboy:
Disney will always reserve the right to change anything at any time.

Menus change - sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

But as far as I can tell, the brunch at CA Grill is still offering a substantial, high-quality, buffet that includes sushi and other items that by themselves are likely to be worth the cost....especially if you enjoy mimosas (Champagne & orange juice).

Then, you can order all-you-care-to-enjoy from their selection of entrees.....and can take one home.

And for the cost, guests are still provided with sweets for dessert....and more if you'd like to take home.

We stay at Bay Lake Tower (the DVC property attached to the Contemporary) and actually avoid CA Grill for dinner because we find it too 'hit or miss' for the cost. However, despite our often having a similar view from our room, we find the daylight view, the live music, and the generally less hectic ambiance at brunch (versus dinner) to be the most humane meal we consistently enjoy at Disney. Frankly, Victoria & Albert is lovely, but traveling on vacation with a jacket & tie and the necessity of having to coordinate the care of our young child makes CA Brunch our favorite high-end family meal at Disney.

Of course, there are many people who have to 'rope drop' every morning, which we typically do, so we we go to CA Grill on the days after or before we stay out late.

Seriously considering this for June. I wasn't sure if the cost would be worth it, but knowing that they'll let us order more than one entree and will let us take doggy bags is starting to sway me. My mom would love the bloody mary bar (which I know is additional cost). None of us drink mimosas, but I think we'd still get our money's worth. We arrive at WDW on Sunday morning (bright and early after a night at the MCO Hyatt). This might be a really nice way to spend the first couple of hours before either heading to MK or going back to the pool. Hmmm...

Seriously considering this for June. I wasn't sure if the cost would be worth it, but knowing that they'll let us order more than one entree and will let us take doggy bags is starting to sway me. My mom would love the bloody mary bar (which I know is additional cost). None of us drink mimosas, but I think we'd still get our money's worth. We arrive at WDW on Sunday morning (bright and early after a night at the MCO Hyatt). This might be a really nice way to spend the first couple of hours before either heading to MK or going back to the pool. Hmmm...
If you are doing the dining plan (we aren't this trip) your first Bloody Mary is included in the price of the meal as well as your welcoming mimosa (virgin or not). I ordered 1 Mary and it was so loaded with protein and veggie add-ons it was an appetizer in itself and almost constituted a liquid meal for me. The man needed 2 for the same effect but but he's special;). We are very much looking forward to our 12/23 reservation OOP.

Our server said something like "you do you." Return as many times as you like to the buffet if that's what you enjoy. If nothing on the buffet appeals to you, feel free to order more than one entree or an entree and a side. But I never got the idea that this was like the Olive Garden's buy one, get one to go offer. We asked for our desserts to be boxed up because we didn't want to eat them yet, but I didn't get the feeling that they intended you to finish the desserts and then ask for more "to go." I'm not saying this isn't allowed, but I suspect if enough people do this kind of thing, the offer of more than one entree may disappear. Also, we've been to the brunch three times and only the last server mentioned ordering more than one entree. Some people (and I'm one of them) may feel uncomfortable asking for something that isn't offered. I don't care at all what people do, but it seems that some of the posts about this brunch could lead people to unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:
Our server said something like "you do you." Return as many times as you like to the buffet if that's what you enjoy. If nothing on the buffet appeals to you, feel free to order more than one entree or an entree and a side. But I never got the idea that this was like the Olive Garden's buy one, get one to go offer. We asked for our desserts to be boxed up because we didn't want to eat them yet, but I didn't get the feeling that they intended you to finish the desserts and then ask for more "to go." I'm not saying this isn't allowed, but I suspect if enough people do this kind of thing, the offer of more than one entree may disappear. Also, we've been to the brunch three times and only the last server mentioned ordering more than one entree. Some people (and I'm one of them) may feel uncomfortable asking for something that isn't offered. I don't care at all what people do, but it seems that some of the posts about this brunch could lead people to unrealistic expectations.

This ⬆️ was our experience, as well. They will box up desserts “to go” but we did not feel the offer was to order multiple entrees and then take them with you. It may be allowed but as the above poster said, I don’t think that is intended. We enjoy the buffet and then order what we care to eat. We don’t feel we have to taste everything on the menu at one meal. :D

Absolutely agree @marikujawa.

We have dined here twice and asking for entree to-go boxes is not appropriate, nor something they encourage. The only appropriate time to ask is for the dessert plate at the end of the meal.

Our server asked us once if we wanted to box up our leftovers (not fresh entrees), probably because we did not order multiple entrees. She made a face like ssshhh as courtesy. We should have said no. As expected, it sat in our fridge uneaten :crazy2:

Last edited:
I didn’t intend to criticize the poster who suggested ordering an extra entree and taking it home. For all I know, that person’s server may have suggested that very thing - I wasn’t there. I see a difference between taking a doggy bag for leftovers and ordering additional entrees or desserts not intended to be consumed on the premises and then asking the restaurant to box them up. Nothing in my visits to this brunch left me with the impression that the latter practice was intended or considered acceptable. I don’t discount the possibility that others may have had different experiences.

DW and I have enjoyed the CG Brunch twice this year. It is simply amazing! They offer a number of different Mimosas with "bubbles" of juice (not just orange juice) in them. The charcuterie and sushi selections were great, and they had a salad with apples in it which was addictively good. all of those things were buffet style, only the main dish, which is prepared to your specifications, is brought from the kitchen. I loved the eggs benedict with lobster!!! I am sadly not going to partake on my upcoming trip but would recommend it if you can find a reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter