California here we come! The White House goes to Disneyland and Aulani - Update 10/2

I know your vacation was a few months ago but just an FYI in case you leave anything on the plane again

My daughter left her ipad on the plane this summer. For sure I thought it was a gonner. A friend had suggested calling the baggage office at the airport (this was at the home airport) to see if an employee turned it in there. Lo and behold they had the item. I was able to pick it up two days after her flight

After we had picked it up I emailed the airline lost and found to let them know. They must not update their records because we kept getting emails for a month about how they were still looking for it and at the end of 30 days sent an email that the item was not found

long story short always check with the local airport lost and found or airline baggage office to see if they have the item you lost instead of just going by what the airline home office tells you

Hey Annie- Just got all caught up on your TR. Was enjoying reading along and hope you have a chance to get back and finish it up.

Just found this trip report. We are going back to Aulani this summer and adding Maui on at the end as well. Like you said, just works out better this way for travel. Do you have the rest of the report anywhere or the Maui pics?

Just found this trip report. We are going back to Aulani this summer and adding Maui on at the end as well. Like you said, just works out better this way for travel. Do you have the rest of the report anywhere or the Maui pics?

Sorry, no. I suck!! LOL. I'm sorry.

I am thinking of going back again in a couple of years when our DS graduates from college....but not sure yet. I wish the flights were more affordable....I am saving up miles on a credit card to maybe help cover some of our flights... We enjoyed Aulani so much last time we might flip where we start and finish up there. BUT DS may prefer to go somewhere else for his grad trip so it's still a big variable... HAVE FUN!!

ETA: I almost forgot - when we got ready for bed that night DS comes out the bathroom in a complete panic, hands clapped to the sides of his head, mouth hanging wide open, eyes bulging…. He just discovered that he had left his retainers in their case ON THE AIRPLANE!!!!! :furious: OMG. NOOOOO!!! For anybody out there who's lost a set of retainers you know that feeling!! His ortho had JUST told him a few days before we left that he could go to "nights only" with them but he had forgotten to wear them the night before 'cuz we were so exhausted. To make up for THAT he said he would just go ahead & wear them that day. Well, so Hawaiian Airline served lunch so he took them out. DOH!!!

A few years ago we were at Hollywood Studios and Sarah (daughter) took out her retainers (that she had just transitioned to after several years of braces), laid them on an extra paper plate we had on the table while we ate our muffins. Snack over, we grabbed the "trash" and dumped it. At that point Sarah remembered her retainer. We go digging in the trash for it. A CM came over to help and we were in luck, retainer found. We felt such relief. The helpful CM immediately picked up the retainer and said she would rinse it off, however, she actually put it in a cup and poured boiling water on top. The plastic retainer curled. It was useless at that point and we would be away from home for a full week. By the time we got back, Sarah's teeth had shifted so she had to go back in braces for a couple of months... I look at her beautiful smile now and think, beautiful but expensive. :D And yes, so very worth the expense. Off now to continue reading.

Last edited:
A few years ago we were at Hollywood Studios and Sarah (daughter) took out her retainers (that she had just transited too after several years of braces), laid them on an extra paper plate we had on the table while we ate our muffins. Snack over, we grabbed the "trash" and dumped it. At that point Sarah remembered her retainer. We go digging in the trash for it. A CM came over to help and we were in luck, retainer found. We felt such relief. The helpful CM immediately picked up the retainer and said she would rinse it off, however, she actually put it in a cup and poured boiling water on top. The plastic retainer curled. It was useless at that point and we would be away from home for a full week. By the time we got back, Sarah's teeth had shifted so she had to go back in braces for a couple of months... I look at her beautiful smile now and think, beautiful but expensive. :D And yes, so very worth the expense. Off now to continue reading.

Ouch!! DS's retainers are the clear plastic ones too!! Mental note for "one day" - no boiling hot water!! But yeah, after that when we paid our $500 or so for a new set I got several more cases & slapped an address label on them and put them all over the place so they would be sure to always be in a case with our address on them. Now he's away at college so who knows what's going on with them & how often they get worn!! I did see his favorite neon orange case in his bathroom when he was home over winter break....I'm wondering how often they get cleaned tho?! :eek: :faint:

Is your son a part of his college swim team? You were discussing his swim commitments during high school so just curious if he kept with it.

Kate

Is your son a part of his college swim team? You were discussing his swim commitments during high school so just curious if he kept with it.

Kate

Sadly, no. :sad2: Really bummed me out that he quit it. He started when he was like 10 or 11. He had summer swim team, club swim and HS swim team. I miss that chlorine smell in my car!! :rotfl: He just didn't want to continue with those o'dark thirty practices and didn't want to miss classes for traveling to meets & stuff. He is way too busy with projects (a lot of them group) to miss class and is focused on maintaining his A average. His college doesn't have a "club" team, only the school team so it's all or nothing. He did do "swimming for fitness" last semester as one of his required wellness classes. I was glad he was back in the pool again even if it wasn't for competition. He feels he only has time for one extracurricular activity so he chose to join their drama club instead.

We spend all this time and energy helping our children with their extracurricular through middle/high school activities and then when they enter college, poof, gone. But the activities help them get into college so not a bad thing, our helping them.

Our niece was a runner during middle and high school. Her parents and coach were sure she would receive many scholarships for her running. Then fall of her senior year she said, "I'm done, I hate running." She was so burned out from the pressure of competing. And her parents, wonderful parents, said, "No biggie." She is now a senior in college, they figured out a way without scholarships. I am glad your son is swimming for fun.

Our daughter is/was an Irish dancer, the children's group she belonged to did not compete but they danced for community service (nursing homes, schools, etc). Sarah did not want to compete but she did want to dance. We carted her all over the state for the events not realizing that it would have a residual effect besides looking good on her college resume; Sarah ended up winning a scholarship for her dancing (Scottish dance but close enough to Irish that she could make the transition.)

I do not blame your son for not wanting the early morning practices, they are rough. Drama club? Awesome! He is what, a junior now?

Kate

We spend all this time and energy helping our children with their extracurricular through middle/high school activities and then when they enter college, poof, gone. But the activities help them get into college so not a bad thing, our helping them.

Our niece was a runner during middle and high school. Her parents and coach were sure she would receive many scholarships for her running. Then fall of her senior year she said, "I'm done, I hate running." She was so burned out from the pressure of competing. And her parents, wonderful parents, said, "No biggie." She is now a senior in college, they figured out a way without scholarships. I am glad your son is swimming for fun.

Our daughter is/was an Irish dancer, the children's group she belonged to did not compete but they danced for community service (nursing homes, schools, etc). Sarah did not want to compete but she did want to dance. We carted her all over the state for the events not realizing that it would have a residual effect besides looking good on her college resume; Sarah ended up winning a scholarship for her dancing (Scottish dance but close enough to Irish that she could make the transition.)

I do not blame your son for not wanting the early morning practices, they are rough. Drama club? Awesome! He is what, a junior now?

Kate

I think most parents do try to keep their kids on a path to keep them well rounded and not to be couch potatoes. Congrats to your daughter for her scholarship. My DS wasn't a good enough of a swimmer to get any scholarships for swimming (although he got a merit scholarship). Swim team would have been another "good" circle of friends to have. He is actually a sophomore now - technically tho I suppose he could be considered a 3rd year as he started his freshman year with 26 credits from AP courses (1 credit shy of being considered 2nd year). He is in the honors program and loves his drama club involvement. If he doesn't have a part in a play he helps with stage stuff or tix and misc. whatever stuff that needs to be done. He goes to RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology in NY) and they do not have a theatre major so it's all student / club run. He has made a tight group of friends with that.

His biggest stress right now is trying to find a summer co-op. It is a requirement for his major to complete 2 summer co-ops relating to his major (Game Design and Development). So basically if he can't find a job with a gaming company he wants something (anything / anywhere) that would involve programming or writing code of some sort or artificial intelligence or something relating to computer science or even web design. He is feeling the pressure now as the semester is flying by. He says he has sent out over 40 applications / resumes all over the country but he's not hearing back from anyone. If he doesn't land a summer one then he will have to look for one that is a longer continuous block (like June thru Dec or Jan thru August) and will have to interrupt his class work and we'll have to move him in / out more & mess up his housing arrangements etc... NOT what we would like to have happen but it may be the only way. And of course, that would throw off his graduation timing. He has a 3.93 GPA but that doesn't guarantee anyone will call for an interview. :scared:

A 3.93 is an awesome GPA. Way to go, Anal Annie's son! Fingers crossed he will land a good summer co-op. Sarah is still a freshman so we are a year or so before the panic hits. Her program requires a junior-senior intensive research project that she will need to propose next year. Hopefully she is working on it now...

Kate

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!