California Running- a Training Journal

chuckille

Mouseketeer
I'm very new to the forum but it's been exactly what I've been looking for!

My friend has been hassling me the last 6-9 months to run the SF marathon and I finally gave in. I ran for my cross-country HS team as well as multiple 5k, 10k, half-marathons in high school and college but basically stopped running after that. I've kept active playing tennis (my main sport) and basketball, but last year is when I laced up the shoes again and started enjoying running again.

My family and I love Disney...
  • Disneyland: our "home" resort that we go at least 1-2x a year as a family. I grew up in LA so I've always had a soft spot for DL.
  • Disney World: 1 childhood trip there when I was ~10, but we've been setting aside time and $ to do a solid trip there!
  • Disney Cruise: a 4 night Dream cruise to the Bahamas and a 7 night Fantasy cruise to the Caribbean. We've got a 7 night Wonder Alaska cruise planned for the 2nd half of this year.
  • RunDisney: I've never done an event but maybe I can coordinate a Disney World trip with one!
Now that I'm committed to the marathon in July 2018, I'm excited to start a training journal. If anyone is interested in this, feel free to leave some comments, etc... I'm still learning the ins and outs of this forum!

My 2018 races
  • April 2018- Silicon Valley Half-Marathon (goal 1:45:00)
  • July 2018- San Francisco Marathon (goal #1- finish, goal #2- 4:00:00)

Upcoming races I've been eyeing
  • October 2018- Skyline to Sea trail Marathon
  • November 2018- runDisney Wine and Dine Half-Marathon

3/12/18 Training Update

I spent this week nursing a bit of plantar fasciitis on my L foot so I really reduced my miles. I also planned a last minute ski trip with another family (since Tahoe got hit with a good storm a week ago) so that gave my foot rest as well. I was a bit bummed because I had purchased a Garmin 935 Forerunner and wanted to give the new watch a spin but oh well!

Mon, March 5- Planned 4 Miles
Ran 4.1 miles at an 8:47 pace
After my 11 mile long run on Sun, I decided to do an EZ run on a flat surface and it felt OK. I did feel a few sore spots on the calf but the foam roller helped a lot after the run. The pace was a bit quick for an EZ run but it's hard for me to slow the pace down (something I have to get better at).

Tues, March 6- Planned Rest
rest

Weds, March 7- Planned 7 Miles
Ran 7.0 miles at a 9:00 pace
I decided to take my new Salomon Sense Ride trail shoes for its inaugural trail run. I went to Rancho San Antonio Park, where there are trail runs from 3-15+ miles, and is my go to spot for these trail runs. It was a fairly warm and sunny day and I was feeling it. I paced too quick in the beginning flat section at 7:57/mile, and the subsequent hill (about a 650ft climb) was brutal. I had planned to run the entire hill but after 3/4 of it, I had to walk the rest. The downhill part was nice and fun with some moderate technical parts. All in all, a nice run on a beautiful day.

Thurs, March 8- Planned Rest
rest

Fri, March 9- Planned 5 Miles

My L plantar fasciitis was acting up after my trail run and since I'm still 1 month away from my HM and 3 months from my marathon, I thought rest was the best idea. Plus I planned a ski trip to Northstar so it gave me an excuse to stay off the feet for at least 5 straight days. I'm not sure what I would've done if this was just a few weeks away from my marathon???

Sat, March 10- Planned Rest
rest and drive up to Northstar

Sun, March 11- Planned 11 Miles
No long run today! Just 15.3 miles of downhill skiing with my son. Caught a few black runs on the Backside during my son's half-day lesson. Then hung out on the blue and green runs after picking him up. We spent a bunch of time at the terrain park, although we were both too chicken to do anything serious. I'm not complaining since staying healthy is more important!

Next week, I plan on getting back up 22 miles for the week and getting some longer runs back in. I'm hoping the feet feel ok, but I've learned how important rest can be. It's a long journey and even though the training runs are fun, I've gotta focus on staying healthy for the marathon.

Attachments

• IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

I use "upload a file". It limits you to 10 images per post and they need to be 1MB or less each. Some people like to use sites like photobucket to post images so they're stored somewhere other than the DIS. Although I'm not a techy, so I could be wrong on this.

3/19/18 Training Update

I was able to ramp up my miles this week, but my L foot is still bothering me. After researching it a bit on the internet, I’m thinking it’s not plantar fasciitis, but rather it might be Morton’s neuroma. I work at a hospital so I’m gonna stop a podiatrist this week and ask for a “curbside consult”. I’m wondering if switching to new shoes, Hokas, in the last 2-3 months is the cause.

Otherwise, I’m getting pumped as my HM is inching closer and my goal of 1:45:00 is in view. I also got a discount code for the California International Marathon in Dec so I signed up with a lofty/reach goal of trying to qualify for the Boston Marathon.

Planned 25 miles
Actual 21.8 miles

Mon, March 12- planned rest
My son and I finished off our Tahoe ski trip with a half day on the slopes. We tackled mostly blue runs and kept healthy through our trip, which is the most important thing. Then it was a long drive back home!

Tues, March 13- planned 7 miles
Ran 7.0 miles at an 8:02/mile pace
I don’t know if it was the 3 days in 9k altitude, but I was sucking wind the last few miles on this tempo run. There were some muddy sections on a trail section where I had to slow down, but otherwise it should’ve been a flat run but it was tough.

Weds, March 14- planned rest
Rest

Thurs, March 15- planned 4 miles
Ran 5.0 miles at an 8:19/mile pace
I had a mostly great interval session. I setup my Garmin watch for 8 0.5 mile intervals with a 1:30 slow down. My first interval was solid a 7:40 pace, but then I had to make a bathroom pit stop STAT so I had to backtrack and luckily found one at an auto body shop.

My 5th interval was the fastest at 6:38/mile and then slowed down to a 7:30-7:40/mile interval for the final few. These interval runs are painful for me but I’m thinking these runs will help me get faster and really get my anaerobic fitness up.

Fri, March 16- planned rest
I did a weight lifting session

Bench press (1- 135lb 10 reps 2-135lb 9 reps 3- 135lb 8 reps)

Standing bicep curl (1- 50lb 10 reps 2-50lb 10 reps 3- 50lb 8 reps)

Sat- March 17- planned 11 miles
Ran 0.6 miles at a 7:56/mile pace
My son had a 7am training run for his Taekowndo team at the local HS so I decided to flip my Sat and Sun runs. So I was supposed to run 3 miles but after 0.6 miles running on the track with the students, I thought it’d be best to rest my foot and stopped. Plus it was 40 degrees and drizzling...yes as a Californian, I get spoiled!

Sun, March 18- planned 3 miles
Ran 5.0 miles at a 9:22/mile pace
Ran 4.2 miles at a 7:35/mile pace

Another bathroom emergency! With a goal of 11 miles at an easy pace, I started the run and got through the first 3-4 miles at the correct pace. However, I started having some stomach issues and knew I was in trouble. Damn that steak and wine from the night before!!! I made a bee-line for the Starbucks nearby and called it quits after a total of 5 miles.

To salvage my long run, I ran with a friend in the afternoon, and decided to up the pace. We did a nice flat loop around the neighborhood and got 4.2 miles. It wasn’t the 11 miles I was looking for, but I got the heart pumping and hopefully gave me some insight into how to fix my GI issues!

This week, I’ve got 4 runs planned. We are taking a small trip away so it’ll cut short my long run on Sat, but I’ll compensate with slightly longer weekday runs.

Tues, March 20, 2018
It was a rainy day in the Bay Area so I was not looking forward to my run. But, we have 3 more days of rain in the forecast and a dedicated runner has to brave the elements (even in California), so I got my gear ready and went for a planned 7 mile tempo run. I wore my trail shoes, Salomon Sense Ride, instead of my road shoes since it was so wet outside.

I drove to the local paved trail since I wanted to avoid cars in the road. My goal was a 7:50-7:55 pace for the 7 miles and the first couple miles felt great at that pace. I think mile 3 was a bit too fast at 7:26 and I started feeling winded at mile 4-5. My pace was slowing down and my breathing was more labored, although my HR didn’t budge too much, which I couldn’t quite understand.

The final 3 miles we’re getting slower and slower, with the slowest time at 8:13, although I put a good effort into the final half mile. It was a successful tempo run, but I’m a bit worried that I won’t be able to keep up that pace for 13 miles. I’ll just have to keep training and see how it all works out in 3.5 weeks.

My R shin did feel a bit sore after this run, which I have been noticing a bit with these trail shoes. Something to keep track of...

Total distance- 6.0 miles
Pace- 7:55/mile

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter