Call blocking app - Anyone successfully used one?

lifesavacation

DIS Veteran
I am getting over 30 robocalls a day from a student loan forgivenes scam. They are using local spoofed numbers. I don't answer the calls and they go to voicemail. I'm on the do not call list. It doesn't help to individually block the numbers because they just spoof another one. I know it's ridiculous to let this aggravate me, but I've run out of patience since it happens day after day and the calls aren't letting up.

Has this happened to anyone and have you tried a call blocking app to get them to stop? Since the numbers are spoofed, I'm not sure if it will be effective in blocking the calls.

If you have an IPhone, just hit "block this caller." If it's a landline, go to your provider's website to block the number.

I am getting over 30 robocalls a day from a student loan forgivenes scam. They are using local spoofed numbers. I don't answer the calls and they go to voicemail. I'm on the do not call list. It doesn't help to individually block the numbers because they just spoof another one. I know it's ridiculous to let this aggravate me, but I've run out of patience since it happens day after day and the calls aren't letting up.

Has this happened to anyone and have you tried a call blocking app to get them to stop? Since the numbers are spoofed, I'm not sure if it will be effective in blocking the calls.

The Hiya app and blocking numbers of calls that get through have helped a lot.

Unfortunately, the calls with the same prefix as mine come through. They go to voicemail or missed call and I just block the number later.

I have noticed more and more of these calls, I have never had a student loan and get plenty of them, and credit card collectors and extended car warranties. They are prolific.

While on the treadmill this morning, I heard on the news that within 18 months or so more than 45% of all phone calls will be these scam calls. How will we survive? My point is these call are increasing at a crazy fast rate and there is no relief in sight.

The do not call list is worthless any longer. I am going to have to find some type of solution as well.

If yo u have At&T as your cell provider you can download their app called call protect. Its awesome, you can set it to completely block fraud calls or notify you and give you the chance to answer, you can manually block calls through the app as well.

The Hiya app and blocking numbers of calls that get through have helped a lot.

Unfortunately, the calls with the same prefix as mine come through. They go to voicemail or missed call and I just block the number later.

I wish blocking the call would work. The spoofed numbers are mostly from my area code. The numbers don't repeat. Same robocall, just from a different local number that's been spoofed. Blocking the local number doesn't work since they randomly use a different local number each time.

If you have a recent version of an Android phone, the phone blocking apps no longer work properly. :headache: Instead of BLOCKING the call, all it does is have Caller ID to tell you the number, then immediately forwards the call to voicemail so you get an automated voicemail message that much quicker. :rolleyes: At least when the number is "blocked" it doesn't ring.

Can anyone come up with electronic feed back? Blow their ear drums out.

:) I like this idea... a lot! I really do like the idea of getting back at them, even if it's not going to do anything. I wish I had this kind of time. Maybe I should go all Liam Neeson and tell them I have a very particular set of skills and will hunt them down and be their next nightmare.

If it were only that easy :( It blocks the spoofed number and they call right back with another random local spoofed number.

We currently have a streak of many days now ongoing on our landline number where a scam is calling our number 3 times in the very same pattern of calls with a different sequence of numbers at least four times per day. I'm the one who handles the reporting and blocking of numbers on the landline, so I picked up on the pattern first because I noticed we would get a call, eleven minutes later we would get a second call and one minute after call two call three rings in. What's interesting is that quite often now one of the 3 calls is coming in on a previously blocked number, but it may come as call 1, 2 or 3 in the chain.

Personally I don't think it's a coincidence that the amount of robocalls is increasing precisely when apps and services are coming on the market to eliminate them. If apps and services can stop the calls for a fee, why can't my service provider -- particularly as their caller ID service marks the largest proportion of them as Suspected Spam?

I also really want to know how they can possibly speculate how much the volume of spam calls is going to go up over the next year? It makes no sense that anyone has any real data to back that speculation up.

Can anyone come up with electronic feed back? Blow their ear drums out.

The problem with that is, most of these scam calls are robocalls, unless you have to press a number to speak to a live person, you wouldn't be blowing anyone's eardrums out, lol
Everytime I get one lately, I press whatever # to get a live person. When they answer, I say this call is being recorded and is being forwarded to the Attorney Generals office in my state . I get a lot of stammering, uh uh uh'ing, some swearing, and a few telling me my number will be removed. Not sure how many calls it will stop, but it's really dropped the # down!

The problem with that is, most of these scam calls are robocalls, unless you have to press a number to speak to a live person, you wouldn't be blowing anyone's eardrums out, lol
Everytime I get one lately, I press whatever # to get a live person. When they answer, I say this call is being recorded and is being forwarded to the Attorney Generals office in my state . I get a lot of stammering, uh uh uh'ing, some swearing, and a few telling me my number will be removed. Not sure how many calls it will stop, but it's really dropped the # down!

I'll give that a try. Any reduction will help. I would guess these are out of country calls so they really don't care about my AG.

If yo u have At&T as your cell provider you can download their app called call protect. Its awesome, you can set it to completely block fraud calls or notify you and give you the chance to answer, you can manually block calls through the app as well.

I'll give this one a try tomorrow. I downloading the app and my phone is blocked from purchases as it's part of a premier business plan. I removed that feature and it will take effect tomorrow. Hopefully it works even if just a little.

Thanks for this, I had no idea this was available. Just put the free version on our phones. We’ll see what happens.

Mr. Number has worked well for me for a matter of years.

No, Mr. Number is one of the apps that no longer blocks calls on any Android, about version 6/Marshmallow(?) or later. It only has Caller ID to tell you the number, then immediately forwards the call to voicemail. If you have an older version phone and/or older version of Mr Number that still hangs up on blocked calls, do NOT update the app. You will regret it. Ask me how I know. :headache: :badpc:

No, Mr. Number is one of the apps that no longer blocks calls on any Android, about version 6/Marshmallow(?) or later. It only has Caller ID to tell you the number, then immediately forwards the call to voicemail. If you have an older version phone and/or older version of Mr Number that still hangs up on blocked calls, do NOT update the app. You will regret it. Ask me how I know. :headache: :badpc:

Thanks for the heads up. I won't update it!

You have given me an idea. The next time I get a call I'm going to say "Attorney General Office how may I direct your call?"

I got a call on our office phone yesterday from someone with a non local to the United States accent who told me they were going to cut off our power due to non payment of our bill from an electric company in our area that does not service our business.

I laughed and said 'You are a scammer. We don't even have power from that company.' Click.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter