Calling all insulin dependent diabetics

Bete

DIS Veteran
My hubby needs to have insulin 4X a day, three times with meals and a different kind at night before bedtime. I considered him to be a severe type 2 diabetic.

My question relates to Disney table service restaurants and other restaurants, as well. We all know that you don't get to eat right away at Disney; unless, you go to a buffet. Most insulin shots expect you to eat within 15 minutes of getting your shot. I have seen a half hour before getting food at some Disney restaurants. My hubby has had some low blood sugar spells which have been harmful. Sometimes, we carry a protein bar for him to eat if the meal is served late, but he really doesn't like those bars. He doesn't feel comfortable taking his shot until the meal is in front of him. At home that works, but not at a restaurant. Also, he doesn't like bringing his insulin medicine into a restaurant and doing his insulin shot at table side. He won't go in a restroom to do it and I don't blame him there.

He uses a scooter in the parks; so, we usually eat first and then go back to the scooter and find a more secluded place for him to do his insulin shot after he eats. The problem here is he has high readings even in the 300s for blood sugar when we do it this way. It's probably an hour after getting out of the restaurant that he takes his insulin. My husband recently had a mild stroke and I very much feel it's part due to his practice of taking his insulin after his meal instead of before like you should do it. We dine out probably twice a week back home, as well; so, this issue follows us.

So, how do you do your insulin shots when dining out? Will you do your insulin at table side as discreetly as possible? Or do you do it before you get into the restaurant hoping your blood sugar won't go to low before you get served? Do you use glucose tablets? Do you order an appetizer so you get something to eat quicker?

Last edited:
My son is a Type 1 diabetic since the age of 2 (he's 22 now). He does his injection at the table when the food is served. He is quick about it, but frankly , if someone happened to see and have a problem with it, too bad for them. I don't see it as any different than someone taking pills during dinner

Before I got my insulin pump, I always took my blood sugar and shot at the table. I always wait for the food to arrive after an airplane disaster when they served the row behind me, I took my shot and then the flight attendant came to tell me that they ran out of food. A dinner of mini pretzels was not a good thing.

DH does his at the table. For the most part it’s under the table, really. Very quick. Hard for anyone to notice unless they are watching. I’ve even been unaware sometimes, busy in conversation with others.

I would say he either needs to figure out a way to do it at the table, in the restroom, or stop doing table service meals. But...until HE decides it’s necessary to change his practice, all you can do is suggest and nag, which may make him more stubborn. DH was rather uncontrolled as well until he finally decided it really was important to get in the game. And he has felt so much better since. But he had to come to that conclusion himself.

Good luck!

As a nurse and a mom of a type 1 diabetic I agree with the above posters. It is very important that your DH takes his insulin BEFORE he eats, preferably as the food gets to the table. There are some options for him though... hopefully he is using an insulin pen and does not have to draw it up out of a vial, most insurances pay for them these days. It’s quicker and more accurate especially if there are vision issues. There is also a pump called the V-GO. It is simple to use. You refill with insulin in the morning and put it on ( almost like a patch but it inserts a small catheter under the skin) it is preset to administer so much insulin with each “click” (it has like a clicker button on it that you have to manually do but is very quick and easy) I have seen these little pumps drop a persons A1C a lot just because they are so easy and they are perfect for type 2 diabetics who are uncontrolled and not carb counting. It’s hard to explain it all but look it up online and talk to your Endocrinologist about it. Good luck and remind him there is no embarrassment about checking blood sugars ( I hope he is also doing that before meals) and taking insulin. DS has gotten so go at checking that I don’t even know he has checked it.
PS- please do not let him do the injections before he enters the restaurant. He will go low and this is very dangerous. Personally I would set the law and tell him we either do it at the table or we do quick service!! Your choice!! But I know that doesn’t always work especially with a grown man

My hubby needs to have insulin 4X a day, three times with meals and a different kind at night before bedtime. I considered him to be a severe type 2 diabetic.

My question relates to Disney table service restaurants and other restaurants, as well. We all know that you don't get to eat right away at Disney; unless, you go to a buffet. Most insulin shots expect you to eat within 15 minutes of getting your shot. I have seen a half hour before getting food at some Disney restaurants. My hubby has had some low blood sugar spells which have been harmful. Sometimes, we carry a protein bar for him to eat if the meal is served late, but he really doesn't like those bars. He doesn't feel comfortable taking his shot until the meal is in front of him. At home that works, but not at a restaurant. Also, he doesn't like bringing his insulin medicine into a restaurant and doing his insulin shot at table side. He won't go in a restroom to do it and I don't blame him there.

He uses a scooter in the parks; so, we usually eat first and then go back to the scooter and find a more secluded place for him to do his insulin shot after he eats. The problem here is he has high readings even in the 300s for blood sugar when we do it this way. It's probably an hour after getting out of the restaurant that he takes his insulin. My husband recently had a mild stroke and I very much feel it's part due to his practice of taking his insulin after his meal instead of before like you should do it. We dine out probably twice a week back home, as well; so, this issue follows us.

So, how do you do your insulin shots when dining out? Will you do your insulin at table side as discreetly as possible? Or do you do it before you get into the restaurant hoping your blood sugar won't go to low before you get served? Do you use glucose tablets? Do you order an appetizer so you get something to eat quicker?
I give my self shots when and where I need them ( on a pump now so this helps) there was one time this lady was doing some kind of yoga pose to see what I was doing when I was giving my self insulin. And she tells me I should not do that here that I would go in the bathroom I told her bathroom where dirty and that ( there was some cops at the table next to her) there was a lot of people with guns but none of them pointed at her telling her she had to watch what I wa doing

My point is your husband need to do what is best for him and no one can make him do anything. But tell him more then likely no one will notice what he is doing and if they do they can look away for the 2 3 seconds

Thanks all. I think I'm convincing him. He's reading the posts with me. Your responses are helping.

One thing I know that bothers him is that he has never seen someone else do it in a restaurant.

Thanks all. I think I'm convincing him. He's reading the posts with me. Your responses are helping.

One thing I know that bothers him is that he has never seen someone else do it in a restaurant.

Remind him as well that - especially at WDW - no one is really paying attention to anything you do... They are busy looking for the characters (at character dining) or they are busy on their phones, posting pictures to social media, or taking *more* pictures *for* social media, or yelling at their kids, or or or...

You get the idea. Shoot, I know you have seen it for yourself! :)

Just like me, on a scooter, at Disney World is a total non-event, so will be his pre-meal ritual, especially if he is at all discreet about it. And, he can certainly practice at home, maybe even ask someone he trusts to tell him if they noticed!

And on the small chance that someone does notice, just tell him to smile and in a very friendly tone say "Nothing to see here: just taking my insulin!" and then go on as if nothing happened. Because the worst thing that can happen is that someone sees him. (and that's really not the worst thing that can happen, right?) And the best case is that his blood sugar is where it should be, and he stays healthy :)

I was going to say what @mamabunny said and she is so right on so, people at Disney are too into what they are doing to care what your husband does, now if he stands up and says in a loud voice ok now I must take my insulin and holds the pen up and say ok look I am priming the needle ok now I am going to.... You see unless he does this no one will care. have him at home for the next week when he eat pratic giving his shot like he is at Disney when the food come have him bush his chair back from the table a little have his pin just under the table, prime the pin with two units then set the right dos, the lift his shirt just a little and give his insulin ( or if he is earing short his upper leg, more then likely the only ones that will notice are the people he is eating with and frankly they know, but I think the best thing he can do is do this at home and then he will see that he can do it without much noticing, a few tips if sitting at a both if he is on the inside fewer people will know what he is doing if at a table sit closes to the wall if he can

I agree with everyone. My son was dx'd at 26 months with type 1 - and he's almost 17. We always did shots at the table before he started a pump. Imagine how exciting it was to give a 2 year old in a restaurant a shot while they're eating! haha! I'll do pump refills at the table (which involve a syringe, cartridge and a long nasty looking needle but you don't poke yourself with it lol). I can't tell anyone pays attention and I don't pay attention to see if they're paying attention. I've never used an insulin pen (they still make these right?) but I maybe if he is really reluctant to give himself a shot this would be less obvious than the drawing it up in the syringe route? We've only ever used regular syringes and bottles or the insulin pump.

Also he could order a sweet drink and some crackers on standby if it seems like dinner will take awhile. Even if he bolused when the meal comes that is better than waiting until after. Would he consider a pump? He could go "untethered" which mean to wear the infusion set but unhook the pump otherwise - just hook it in to give insulin. He might also consider this new continuous glucose monitor that you hold the meter up to and it tells you the blood sugar number without finger sticks - https://www.freestylelibre.us. It may seem like a lot - but considering his stroke and health issues that might really help him get a good picture of how his BG fluctuates throughout the day.

I've been type 1 for 45 years. I give myself, or have my friend give, my insulin table side every time. I do usually wait until I'm done eating just to be better able to gauge how much to give. I don't give one hoot what anyone thinks. It is not shameful to be a diabetic.

I've been type 1 for 45 years. I give myself, or have my friend give, my insulin table side every time. I do usually wait until I'm done eating just to be better able to gauge how much to give. I don't give one hoot what anyone thinks. It is not shameful to be a diabetic.

I think it always goes back to that thing where we all want to appear "normal".

The problem with that is that "normal" is a setting on the washing machine, and nothing more.

And you are absolutely correct - it is not shameful at all to be diabetic (or to have any other medical condition)

My dd (18) has had type 1 diabetes since age 5. She has always done her checks, shots etc wherever and whenever needed. She now has a pump and a CGM and very rarely has to do shots or even poke her finger but if she did, she would just do it as needed. I will say when we went to Disney shortly after diagnosis she was still on shots with syringes and vials. Most of the time we just did it right at the table. And with a vial and syringe you can't be discreet when you are drawing it up. It's just how it is. We got a few stares and curious kids asking their parents what we were doing but that was it. Nobody was ever rude about it. One time at Disney we did go to the bathroom lounge at CP just because the main dining room was super packed and hectic. A young boy did point and ask his mom and she just told him calmly that it was rude to point and stare and that dd was just getting her medicine.

It needs to be done, your husband should do it at the table just before his meal.

When my diabetic FIL comes to visit and we eat out, he does the shots at the table. There have been times where I haven't even realized he's doing it while he's literally sitting next to me! Perhaps you could go out to eat before the trip and he could try doing it at a local restaurant?

Another Type 1 here who does blood tests and injections at the table. I wouldn't do them in a public restroom, either; that doesn't sound particularly sanitary to me. When I got back on an insulin pump, I'll change my infusion sets at the table if need be.

I take my insulin right at the table. I try to be discreet but I will test and inject right at the table. If anyone has a problem with that too bad. My blood sugars are more important than their discomfort. I suggest they mind their own business. A 35 year diabetic with few a complication with good control

I'll just add another voice to the above chorus. My husband is a Type 1 diabetic (now on an insulin pump) but did the bolus shots plus long acting Lantus for a long time prior to the pump. When he was younger he also felt the "stigma" of pulling out needles in public places, but taking insulin after eating (to avoid being seen giving himself injections) or trying to juggle sneaking off to the bathroom with the arrival of food was wreaking havoc on his A1C's and making his brittle diabetes even harder to manage. The insulin needs time to get into his system BEFORE the carbs hit him.

I eventually just told him to do what he needed to do at the table, before food arrived. He eventually gave in and realized that nobody really cared nor noticed what he was doing. And if they had any questions/concerns, it wasn't like we had anything to hide! More important than ANYTHING is that your hubby's health is taken care of, and that you get to enjoy quality time together. Forget what others might notice (realistically they aren't watching everyone around them so they notice nothing lol), there's nothing to be embarassed about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter