Calls to retheme Disneyland's Pinocchio ride?!

Disneylandfan85

Mouseketeer
This really isn't a rumor, per se, but it is news to me - shocking news at that...

I have read an article in Inside the Magic, where, on the heels of Splash Mountain on the verge of being altered to something themed to "The Princess and the Frog", some are now calling for a retheme of another Disneyland attraction: Pinocchio's Daring Journey, not just because of how scary it is, but also because of the depiction of child slavery (boys being turned into donkeys). These people have called out to Disneyland for this, and some have taken to Twitter to voice their concerns.

These proposed changes goes against the theme of what could happen if you don't behave and follow the rules. I will not argue that it is derivative of what is arguably the darkest moment of the movie (the donkey transformation), but that's the point.

In any case, I really don't want it changed. And yet, experience has taught me that in this day and age, if people complain enough, Disney, which has become averse to criticism, will pay attention and cave.

I was told that it was just an idea from someone and that they posted that blurb to "troll" and to get clicks, that it was basically clickbait, plain and simple. And to that, I say that I thought the calls for Splash Mountain to be changed was just "trolling" and clickbait as well, except that Disney capitulated on that matter and unveiled plans to change it. Sure, they said they had the plans for a year or so, but it couldn't have been a coincidence that they would wait until now to reveal them.

I also felt similarly that the ideas of Maelstrom and the DCA Tower of Terror being replaced was also clickbait, until Disney actually revealed said replacements.

Therefore, considering how sensitive Disney has become to criticism of any kind, I have to believe that the company will accept the request to change the Pinocchio ride. It may be clickbait until it's not. Experience has taught me that if someone wants something changed in an attraction, they will get their wish in the end. In any case, I really hope it is just clickbait and it ends as quickly as it began, but knowing Disney, I fear it may not be.

I hope they don't remove anything Pinocchio from the parks. I'm so incredibly sick and tired of twitter and cancel culture. If they don't like it, they don't have to ride it.

There seems to be absolutely nothing safe from offending someone these days. What is really sad though is that because of complaints from a few the majority will lose something that has been enjoyed as it has been for many years. Gone are the days when there was wisedom in knowing that you can't please everyone. Now it doesn't matter what most people think. They just bow down to the ones who make the most noise.

This thread feels like quite an overreaction to a complete non-story. I could go online and start a petition or write a post calling to retheme “Peter Pan” because it encourages running away from home or something - would you start a thread assuming Disney is going to do that? Just because the idea exists somewhere hardly means it’s happening.

Having said that, Pinocchio is easily the least popular ride in Fantasyland. I could see them re-theming it at some point based on that alone... and if there WAS, at some point, a huge public outcry against the ride, could that factor in? I mean, sure - they’re a business and are going to do what they feel will attract/please the most customers.

Splash Mountain is SUCH a different issue. Disney had buried “Song of the South” years ago - they had clearly been well aware of the problematic racial elements. If their research determined that our culture was at a place where the “attract/please the most customers” move was to change the ride’s theme, well, again, they’re a business, so... 🤷‍♀️ But it was not a new idea that the theme was a problem. It was based on a property they’d already exiled ages ago.

To the Mod
Seems like this thread should not even see the light of day. Like was said, controversy for the sake of getting a reaction.

This thread feels like quite an overreaction to a complete non-story. I could go online and start a petition or write a post calling to retheme “Peter Pan” because it encourages running away from home or something - would you start a thread assuming Disney is going to do that? Just because the idea exists somewhere hardly means it’s happening.

Having said that, Pinocchio is easily the least popular ride in Fantasyland. I could see them re-theming it at some point based on that alone... and if there WAS, at some point, a huge public outcry against the ride, could that factor in? I mean, sure - they’re a business and are going to do what they feel will attract/please the most customers.

Splash Mountain is SUCH a different issue. Disney had buried “Song of the South” years ago - they had clearly been well aware of the problematic racial elements. If their research determined that our culture was at a place where the “attract/please the most customers” move was to change the ride’s theme, well, again, they’re a business, so... 🤷‍♀️ But it was not a new idea that the theme was a problem. It was based on a property they’d already exiled ages ago.

I saw that article floating around on social media and it’s just click bait. Disney bloggers are suffering big time with losing ad revenue with people not searching for trips as often. Sharing an article like that is going to get a ton of clicks.

Pinocchio is definitely our least favorite Fantasyland ride- it could use a refurbishment. But not because of any controversy, just needs some new tech updates I think. More whale!

This thread feels like quite an overreaction to a complete non-story...
There is a déjà vu feel to this thread for a reason. I have said before in another thread that if a poster stirs the pot (or in this case, continues to stir the pot), other posters do not need to be stirred. Feel free to hit the Ignore button. No need for argument or debate. Just carry on with your day.

To the Mod
Seems like this thread should not even see the light of day. Like was said, controversy for the sake of getting a reaction.
See my response above. And the Report button works better than a comment in a thread which might get missed. Read the Guidelines at the bottom of the page (click Terms and Rules). If a post is truly outside the Guidelines, then report it.

The slippery slope is happening.
We are sliding so fast I don't have much hope that we'll be able to even slow down.

The offended get recognition when they point out the issues with the past and big companies bow down to them in an effort to not be called names or risk a boycott of some kind. People jump on the band wagon so they can be seen as caring and compassionate and progressive. When someone gets recognition then another want theirs'. It will not end until more companies just ignore it. And they really can't so it goes on and on.

This is why you never give in to the Twitter mob. You slide even a little and they will keep advancing.
These are fake people. They are the puffer fish of society.

I hope this gets the attention of the decision makers at the parks, you can’t appease these people, there will always be a new target. You just need to ignore them like you do that badly behaved kid throwing a tantrum in a store.

For those reading this thread, please do remember the Ignore button. This post was resurrected from August 2020 by someone who just joined today...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts