Camcorder? Yes or No?

emmagata

DIS Veteran
I don't have one but have always thought that I would want one.

I have a digital camera and take zillions of pics but with the newer digital camcorders it's easier to edit them using a computer and transfer to a DVD.

And since the price of the low end digital camcorders is fairly reasonable at about $400, I'm even closer to gettting one.

The only thing holding me back is watching other "home" videos. They're usually awful.

Maybe with some practice I could make decent ones.

The other thing is I really like still pictures so I'd take both. Then I would surely look like a geek!

So my question is should I or should I not?

As you can see in my sig (if you have it turned on), we leave in less than 30 days. If I got one, I want to do it quickly so I can get some practice in.

Thanks!!!

Hard to say really. We recently bought one specifically for Disney trips. It seems to work okay. I don't think we will get any on ride video (not enough light). We got a JVC mini DV camera. It does not have the memory card for still photos, but we won't use it anyway. I think it will be fun to have for the MK Main St. shot, or fireworks, or just to later on be able to visit some of the parks, with sound! We're so excited! Have fun!

I am going to take our digital camcorder and digital camera in January. It will be the first time I'll have the camcorder with me. As for looking like a geek, hey, I figured I'll never see any of those people again. I am very shy, and yet I managed to belt out "I'm a Little Teapot" at the top of my lungs, with the standard movements I might add, at the very packed 50's Prime Time Diner!!!:crazy: And I did it because I knew none of those people knew me and I'd probably never see them again!!! Take the camera and camcorder....you may just capture the most memorable moment and with editing software you no longer have to suffer thru painful home videos ever again!!:smooth:

I would go for it. Disney is not the kind of place where you have to worry about looking like a tourist! ;) I got a digital camcorder and used it to make home movies on my computer. I have a Mac, so I use imovie. It is very easy to use. I don't know what the PC world has for that kind of thing, but I am sure there is something that is easy and inexpensive. (imovie is free if you have a Mac) You can do so many things like make cool slide shows to music, add titles, cool transitions where the footage fades in and out and more. You can edit out the boring parts and make the video really interesting.

I have made so many movies for things like birthdays and vacations that word has gotten out and I now have a moonlighting videographer business. People actually pay me to do their wedding videos!! Now if I can do that on free software w/no training and just my camcorder, I am sure you can come up with a fun memory of your Disney trip.

Make sure you get the digital camcorder. It has to be digital to go into your computer. Plus the quality blows away old analog recorders. You will be astounded. And with DVD recording becoming more affordable and easy, you will forever have captured your moment in time. :tongue:

I would say it is up to you. I have a digital camera, but not a camcorder. I borrowed my sister's on my last trip (and plan to again on this upcoming trip), which is not a digital one, but took some great video. I took so much video that it filled 2 1/2 8 hour tapes! I was pleased with the quality and enjoy popping in those tapes when I need a fix. I took the camcorder on almost all of the attractions and taped all of the parades & fireworks.

If you have the money and want to invest in it, then do so. If not, then I would use what you have.

Hey Terk-1, what rides turned out the best for recording? Any tips for recording? This will be my first time recording (besides me, my DBF and our pets)! :p

I've brought my camcorder to Disney several times (and I've just purchased a new Panasonic digital camcorder for my December trip). I've had luck taping things over the years. I have video taped many rides, and shows. A few tips:

I had a clear cheapo poncho that I had purchased for a dollar, and wrapped it around my camcorder to tape Splash Mountain from beginning to end. I have awesome footage of the ride. I hear that they don't always let you tape on this one.

You can get awesome footage on the Great Movie Ride. This is another one I taped from beginning to end. It's best if you are in the front of the car to tape it because then your footage will be in sync with the drivers speil.

If you plan on taping a lot of parades or shows, you may want to invest in a monopod (like a tripod except with just one leg). I have one, and it helps with the arm fatigue and keeping the camera steady when you are taping a 30 minute parade or show. You can get these at most camera stores.

Karen

I would never think of a vacation, Disney or otherwise without my camcorder.

I have some great shots of my son at WDW on each of his trips.

The editing software of digital cameras makes them great, livens up the HOME MOVIES.

:cool:
:Pinkbounc :tongue: :bounce:

Thanks all. I will think more about it (but not for too long!)

Jiminyfan, looks like we will be there during the same week.

I'll look for ya! :)

As for the questions regarding what rides a camcorder has been on: PLEASE be careful and considerate when doing this. I'm sorry to put this in another thread, but I was hit in the head by a flying camcorder (big strong man with a double grip on the thing, cord tight around his arm, the whole deal) and got a nice little concussion. RUINED my day. Splash Mtn. seems like a risky one also. Just keep in mind that these things can happen to you and reserve your video taping to attractions that move at a more appropriate pace/direction to be taping, like small world or something......Ok, sorry for the service announcement, thanks for letting me rant.

I'm in agreement with Keke; a Mac is the way to go for video editing. In fact I'm in the process of helping my parents purchase an eMac just for that purpose which comes with all the needed software and DVD/CD burner for under $1300, less than $1000 if you buy a refurbished one from Apple. As for video cameras, my family uses Sonys most of which come with decent built-in digital still cameras which are always improving. Last year I shot over 4 hours of digital video at WDW with my dad’s 2001 Sony DV camera which I edited down into a 1 hour movie using iMovie 2.x (iMovie has since been upgraded to 3.x) and a 5 minute music video which I was able to post on my .mac website to share with family and friends. If you are curious to see what an amateur can do with a DV camera and iMovie check it out (you'll need Quicktime to view the movie):

http://homepage.mac.com/gwaypa/iMovieTheater23.html

FYI: This was my son, Nikolai’s (10 months) first trip to WDW.

-Prof

Call me an absent minded professor. The movie on my link above was encoded wrong. It's working now. Sorry for the snafu.

-Prof

...whilst most (all?) camcorder home movies are only really for the family/friends of the creator, I can not imagine only relying on stills photographs (millions of digital or otherwise).. of course we take a camera, and have lots of great (and not so great!) snaps of our times at wdw, but almost every week one of the family (or all!) will want to watch the 3 great videos we took. From a parent's perspective, seeing and hearing the kids 2 or 3 years ago (don't they grow up fast?!) and laughing at our own hair-do's and clothes ("gee, have I really put that much weight on?") make any inconvenience worthwhile. I don't really tape the shows anymore.. the things we wanted to remember when we got home were things like 'what did Downtown Disney look like that afternoon?' and 'can you remember the music playing when we were walking from the car park through CityWalk to IOA?' (actually it was Karma Chameleon by Culture Club!)... I just film the ordinary things and try to get the entrances to parks, the street scenes and the family chatting (not posing) while eating lunch (at the back of Tusker House Restt in AK we discovered we had recorded the 'washer up' chopping onions upstairs!!). I could'nt go without a camcorder. Mike

If your going to buy a camcorder, make sure you get on that films in low light. You will get much better pictures on rides and of parades. We have a Sony, we had to go with a little smaller version, not the real mini's. It was a little more expensive, but my little fingers didn't comfortably reach the buttons. Also consider the comfort factor, if it's uncomfortable to carry around, you won't use it. By the way, you can transfer your old vhs home videos to DVD also if you hook a vcr to your computer to do it. My husband and I are not particularly computer freindly, and had not problem. You can even edit out scenes you don't want with these and make chapters with headings just like the real movies.

I couldn’t imagine a trip to WDW without my camcorder. I’ve been to WDW 8 times in the past 10 years and brought it every trip. I have noticed though that I really don’t watch the earlier trips (they tend to be very long and somewhat boring). It took me a few years before I realized that I don’t need to record my entire walk from the MK entrance to Splash Mountain. Instead I stop walking to take a quick pan of the surroundings then move on. As nice as it is to have the tapes to look back on you don’t want to spend your whole trip with the camcorder strapped to your hand. That being said, I do have quite a few rides captured on those tapes. I particularly enjoy looking back at my trips on the TTA, WDW Railroad and the monorails. I also have the ferry boat and the friendship boats between MGM and Epcot on tape. Don’t forget to tape your hotel and your room. Hope this helps.

By the way Terk-1 that is an unbelievable picture.

.. .if it's a small camera, then yes. If it's a big camera, then no. You'll tire of lugging it and wont' use it. I have a mini JVC that has a memory card for still pics and I end up using the digital camera feature more than the actual video, even though the pics aren't as great as you'll get on a nice digital camera. Still, it's nice to have options in one unit. It's small enough to fit in my belly pack, so I think I'll get a lot of use out of it on this trip.

We've been taking a camcorder with us since the kids were in strollers back in 1986. It was a gigantic full-size VHS back then and was a lot of work hauling it around (rope drops almost resulted in a few heart attacks). BUT, THESE VIDEOS ARE PRICELESS! Watching the kids and the parks change is amazing. We see so much we probably would have forgotten otherwise.

Now we have a small JVC VHS-C camcorder (you can find these for less than $200 on sale) and my wife and daught often carry it in their backpack-type purse.

Don't try to do too much with it and it will add to your enjoyment long after you've returned home.

Originally posted by emmagata
Thanks all. I will think more about it (but not for too long!)

Jiminyfan, looks like we will be there during the same week.

I'll look for ya! :)

I'll be the one with a happy little 4 year old boy and two tired looking Grandparents. Me I'll be the one in the Hawaiin shirts with the largest smile in the place dragging these three around.

I cannot wait as I'm bascially at WDW the month of November!!!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:
:wave2:

Speaking of camcorders, I am in the market to buy a new digital camcorder and wanted to know if people had any experience and/or advice. I am looking at a couple of Sharp models as well as Cannon priced around $500.00. Does anyone have anything like this? I am looking to do the Mini-DV format.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter