Can Brits get a US bank account?

Pluto80

DIS Veteran
Title says it all really. We’d really like to get a US bank account (mainly so we can pay our DVC dues monthly). Just wondering if it’s even possible, and if anyone has done it.

well when I moved to the UK I had a very hard time to get a bank account.

I needed a national insurance number but because I had just arrived in The UK, I first needed a job to get a national insurance number. When I started work my employer rang up and got me a temporary one so that I could be put on the payroll, and made an appointment for me to have an interview to get a proper one.

At the interview I needed proof of work AND proof of address. So I then had to register for council tax. Which meant another interview process where I had to show my passport and flat rental agreement.

It took about 6 weeks to get my national insurance number sorted and get registered for council tax.

Once I had all that sorted I then went to the bank. I needed my passport, to show that I was an European citizen and could legally work and live in the UK, I needed my national insurance number, I needed my council tax documents to show proof of address and I needed payslips to show that I had a job.

Im guessing its the same type of process and similar types of documents are needed to open a bank account in America.

Can monthly direct debits be taken from a savings account, or only a checking account?

Yes, it is possible. Suntrust will allow you to have a US bank account, there is a charge for it though, unless you make a certain number of transactions a month. You can now make part payments directly to your DVC account towards your dues, so unless you really wanted to have a direct debit set up, you could just go in each month and make a payment.

Could you not open a UK Monzo current account and use that to do your Dues? They don't charge conversion fees so you'll pay what you actually owe? Saves faffing with a US account.

I may be totally wrong and it's for other reasons you need a US account

Can monthly direct debits be taken from a savings account, or only a checking account?

ACH rules allow for both savings and checking but whether or not a specific institution allows it depends on their policies and, as often as not, the capabilities of their core banking software.

You will need to pass OFAC checks but yes, most banks will allow foreign account holders.

Title says it all really. We’d really like to get a US bank account (mainly so we can pay our DVC dues monthly). Just wondering if it’s even possible, and if anyone has done it.
Suntrust is the one most UK DVC'ers go to, as there's one right outside Disney that caters for it. It just seems a bit of a faff, we either use Monzo, or whack it out in one on a 0% card and then close that. Or you can just pay it up front every month on the DVC website.

I'm hoping I can use my Monzo card and set it up to do both my deposit and monthly dues. Years on they still haven't imposed any fees for other currencies so hope this makes it easy

I'm hoping I can use my Monzo card and set it up to do both my deposit and monthly dues. Years on they still haven't imposed any fees for other currencies so hope this makes it easy
You don’t pay monthly dues unless you want to and have a US bank account. Otherwise You can just wait until following year deadline to pay.

Have a look a revolut. It allows me to have a card, and bank accounts in mutiple currency's including USD. (You can even earn interest on USD balance) If you want more info DM me as I do have a special code that gets u a higher tier for free but I think I'm not allowed to post outside links here.

Yes, we have a Suntrust account and pay our dues by monthly direct debit, I use Revolut to transfer each month, very quick and simple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter